PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist for Next UT

Vedanth Salian
4th Apr 2005, 05:27 PM
Since the new UT is focussed on gameplay rather than graphics, I have some suggestions to make. But sometimes these suggestions might be wrong, so i dont know it might help.

1) Epic must have a different weapon balance for each gametrype. Im saying this because in UT2004, the shield gun was balanced in ffs but way too powerful in 1vs1. The weapon ammo for all weapons was way too high in 1vs1 while I dont know in TDM & DM. The link was weak compared to minigun in 1vs1 but in TDM it could combine with other link guns & could be powerful. The weapon fire rate was quite balanced in 1vs1 but in Assault due to the spammy nature of weapons I couldnt just see anything as there were just ammos of guns going from here to there. I think it is visually disturbing in Assault. Even in Assault everyone were using Shield to move through, it is damn boring. How can the same weapons & movement be balanced in the all gametypes where skill levels are different?

2) Epic must set a decent player numer in respective gametypes. In Assault there were 14vs14 team matches which are just crazy. In a map if the player count are more, then due to quick rate of fire of UT2004 weapons (spammy as we call) the gameplay suffers as people will just spam & spam & it gonna be frustrating for new players. The thing is lower the player count or lower the rate of fire or lower the ammos.

3) We want some demos & tutorials in the official game itself beforehand. Im saying this because I was not a big fan of UT2004 as before I was playing a lot of UT. I was just running and shooting with 1 gun so I used to not enjoy it. It was a different situation in UT as even with 1 gun you could frag people. But after watching a professional match demo between Gitzz & Lotus (ESWC 2003 Compressed) I was astonished to see there were so many moves I didnt know at all. I didnt even know there was a Double Damage on the top. Walljumping, Elevator jumping, Dodgejump, Quick Weapon Switches, trickjumps, it was just awesome. I then understood the application of these tricks & from then onwards I didnt even touch UT. Now I learnt using single keys for a particular weapon etc. Now even dodgejumping & navigating through a map is so enjoyable. If I hadnt seen the demo then I would have shelved UT200x series a long time ago. So assuming all the new players will be like me I think Epic must add demos, tutorials, some small custom challenges like getting from one place to another in a set time, reaching a difficult place using the available trickjumps etc. This is to make even learning the game a lot fun for new players. I you dont include there is a possibility that all your hard work might be washed.

4) We need a detailed ABC guide on how to play on the internet for new players. I found it very frustrating to know the online paces etc. I searched various sources to get it done.

5) Make a system where noobs can play with noobs & hardcore with hardcores. When a noob playes online he just get owned & he shelves the game. That is where CS wins. After playing a game of CS even a noob thinks he is skillful enough to be the best.

6) Do your best to ban online cheating.

7) Dont bring the UT sniper rifle with its firing rate. LG gone is bit bad but Epic is up to do something. Why Stinger when its Sec mode is same as Flak prim mode. Minigun was good & fun. But as I said you know better. What we want is balanced weapons.

8) No more visually disturbing gameplay. Flak shards too long, Heap of smoke when ROX & Flak shell lands, a new player gets turned off when he doesnt know what the heck is happening.

9) Make it an entertaining product. Not just add the modes & sell it off. Dont make it like UT2003. Make it like UT2004. Polished game really makes the difference. Options for community etc.

10) We want stunning music, ambience & sound effects. We need sounds that can get an award, that can beat every other title out there.

So what do you think? If there is substance in these words do give your comments or if it is wrong please correct it? What Epic is doing by cutting out gametypes, adding big Conquest is a great job. Its better to please casual gamers & make a heck lot of money, than please us hardcore players. I know its sad but its better Epic have enough funds to make great games in the future. See what happened to UT2004 which tried to please hardcore gamers. UT2004 is a gem of a game but all gems dont shine. Lets help Epic with what we can do afterall there are great. They know
things a lot better. I just want a solid UT2.

Stilz
4th Apr 2005, 05:36 PM
some very good suggestions. the minigun in my opinion needed to be toned down or replaced. i'll bet that the tridium will come back as a new and improved great weapon and it wont be like flak.

i totally agree with your take on the shield. it should absorb about 50% of what it does now(in all gametypes). if you get it pointed in the exact direction that fire is coming from it absorbs all of it and you take 0 damage.

now i dont really wanna get started on the sniper rifle discussion, but i am sad to see the lg idea go to waste. its a great weapon and rof and damage are perfect. dont get me wrong, id love the sniper gun if it had the same damage and rof as the lg did(without the annoying and pointless steam enigine coming out of it).

leafo
4th Apr 2005, 06:02 PM
I think they need to switch back to the techno-trance music from original UT. I didnt like the new rock style they seem to use now. All the maps had a flow to them in ut, there was so much ambience, and like you said sound played a major part.

{TD}orgasmix
4th Apr 2005, 06:20 PM
i agree with leafo, techno is perfect music to go around fragging people. I wished Epic could prevent people from spawn killing. But i would rather have Epic find a way to deter cheaters from even attempting to cheap...all a cheater has to do is change his/her tag name and return to the server. there should be more consequences against cheaters.

Stilz
4th Apr 2005, 06:58 PM
I dont even know anyone that plays with music on. if you wanna hear what your opponent is doing you better have it off.

JaFO
4th Apr 2005, 07:40 PM
// 1) different balance for each gametype ?
That's got to be the absolute worst idea ever invented.
How can anyone learn to play the game if in gametype X the weapon Y can frag a player in 3 shots and in another gametype 4 ?
I think mappers should simply stop filling their maps with every weapon in the arsenal.
So no sniperrifles, unless the map has decent sniper-positions.

// 2) players per map ?
Epic had them set to decent numbers. The problem was/is that idiotic server-admins would pick 4-player limit maps on a 16-player server (and vice versa).
Only thing that Epic can do is allow the servers do dynamically limit the playercounts ie : if it's a 16-player server and a 4-player map appears then the server simply dumps players until the map-limit is reached.

// 3) demo's & tutorials
definitely. And it shouldn't be limited to videos or in-game movies either.
They've got to be interactive.

// 4) how to play on the internet ???
*eh* why ?
It's never been more complicated then selecting a server and hittng 'play'.
What's there to learn that you haven't already seen in (3) ?
There always will be stupid people that insist on playing a game on-line before they've touched the manual or tried the tutorials ...

// 5)
They've listed that kind of match-making service.
Any on-line game that had such feature shows that there are *beepers* that simply will create a new on-line persona so they can continue to frag newbies.
Add to that that it is good for your skills if you can practice against 'better' opponents once in a while.

// 8) visually disturbing detail ?
I'm afraid you're going to be dissappointed. This is UE3, not Quake 1 where every single particle counted. You're going to be forced to learn how to separate a 3000-polygon player from the million-polygon background. I'd suggest you stick to UT99 if that kind of stuff is too difficult to handle in UT2kx already.

// 9) music
the problem is that everyone has a different taste in music.
I hate anything that sounds like trance/house or whatever it's called.
So I hope 'Envy' will feature a decent mix of as many styles of music as possible.

// Stilz :
If the sound/music-settings are decent then it is possible to hear the music and still locate your opponent. So it is not impossible ...

FireCrack
4th Apr 2005, 08:16 PM
I think mappers should simply stop filling their maps with every weapon in the arsenal.

YES! This is what i've always been saying, not every map needs every weapon, i personaly dislike maps with every weapon, ofcourse this doesnt mean to only toss 1 or 2 guns in each map but keep it within practicality.

ie : if it's a 16-player server and a 4-player map appears then the server simply dumps players until the map-limit is reached.

Probably not the best way to go about this for obvious reasons. Best to just skip over maps that the server cannot currently accomidate.

UberBone
4th Apr 2005, 11:17 PM
ahem ... Skaarj Hybrid.

If I repeat it over and over it may happen ;)

<edit> yay!! a post</edit>

Vedanth Salian
5th Apr 2005, 03:22 AM
Reply to jafo

1) I didnt mean like make X weapon too powerful in one gametype & too weak in other gametype. I just meant the subtle changes for example shield. In UT2004 all weapons are fun to play.but in 1vs1 due to the long shield it removes a big part of a great experience. Its doesnot zero the experience but it would be lot better if there was something like the shield regenerates only if it is a active weapon in 1vs1. I know its a crazy idea to reinvent the wheel in all gametypes but sometimes there may be some small changes that can hinder your gaming experience in that particular gametype. As you said to reduce the minigun damage but if you do it you make the link a lot stronger in team games & balanced in ffs & 1vs1. Do you get it.

2) I didnt mean cut out the effects, but I meant to tone it down.

As I said before Im not a great gameplay changer, but sometimes it might hit the nail.

NiteX
5th Apr 2005, 02:19 PM
I just want more new weapons that we have never seen before. The same weapons being redone over and over is getting very dull. I'm not saying get rid of all the old weapons because it wouldnt be UT without some of them. More and better special effects with the weapons. The explosion with the rocket launcher wasnt nearly big enough or powerful enough. Also, better weapon sounds with more bass to them. Some of them felt very unpowered.

carmatic
5th Apr 2005, 03:30 PM
the shield gun was balanced in ffs but way too powerful in 1vs1.
As you said to reduce the minigun damage but if you do it you make the link a lot stronger in team games & balanced in ffs & 1vs1

i think that the nature of the game needs to change to be something abit more tactical, like make instant deaths less common... also, i think that it is alot more enjoyable to be in a free-for-all where you die quite often from alot of other players, than to be killed again and again by one single guy who is too good to be killed... maybe one day there will be a kind of mutator, where if someone begins to lead by a certain number of kills, they turn into a kind of 'mutant' , but with opposite effects as the mutant gametype we know now, like the move slower, shoot slower, get coloured brightly, maybe all other players get a translocator , which teleports the 'mutant' around instead of themselves

reintroducing the stinger from unreal 1 is kinda cool i guess, it adds originality to the weapons , its different to the flak canon because it doesnt bounce off surfaces... it was a pretty crappy gun to use in unreal 1, lets see how it changes in the new UT... but what about the Ripper , where you could steer the projectile in mid air just by turning while you held down the secondary fire, and it bounces off surfaces like 4 times and you can cut off peoples heads like that...

Tournament0
6th Apr 2005, 11:50 AM
I dont even know anyone that plays with music on. if you wanna hear what your opponent is doing you better have it off.

Maybe Epic will somehow change this.
:hmm:

edhe
6th Apr 2005, 12:11 PM
The mutant idea would be silly, and needless if Epic manage to manage a ranked system that guides (& limits) people to playing on servers that are on even ground with their skill level.

Also, good players shouldn't be punished ingame for being good. If they're that good in a pub game that they godlike the whole server then the rankings should be adjusted after the game(s) and the difference between that person's rank and othe previous players should be so great that he's not allowed back onto that server.

That idea does sound harsh too, but then hopefully a clutch of other servers will open up for that person, who'll go off and play people more of his skill level, leaving the lesser skilled people going 'he was good, wish i could play like that, now if i can use what i saw him doing i could win' ... maybe.

SealClubber
6th Apr 2005, 12:13 PM
The more like UT, the better. Its really the only way I personally think that the community will be as great as it was with the first Unreal Tournament. :)

edhe
7th Apr 2005, 04:48 AM
That's a false positive.

UT was the first Online Oriented FPS game, designed exclusively for arena play and generated the community that is so strong today.

The great times of UT were not only because it was a good game, but because it was first and new. Envy will have to break a lot of moulds to be *that* successful.

carmatic
7th Apr 2005, 08:16 AM
yeah a 'ranking' system would be nice, but that will seriously chop up the server community into skill levels, and maybe servers can be configured like bots, i.e. if your ingame stats (hits vs misses etc) or your gameplay style (movement pattern, dodges, aiming pattern, weapon usage,etc) matches more closely to a bot skill level, from novice to godlike or whatever, then there is a server out there who will suit you and people who got grouped into the same skill level... this is an "absolute" measure, as compared to the "relative" measure of looking at the players scores and stuff.... both have their ups and downs...

like for the "relative" measure, how many more kills do you need over other people to jump to the next level? will it either be a big shocking jump , with a few 'tiers' of servers, or will it be easing gradually to a level thats slightly harder than the one your in, and thus grating the UT server scene into fine little pieces...

or for the "absolute" measure, how are you supposed to program bots that behave exactly like humans? what happens if the bots are not realistic and people with genuinely different skill levels get bunched together...and maybe getting the computer to try and guess the players skill level is going to be cpu-hungry, inefficient, and a bad idea overall... well maybe something simpler like the ratings in utstats should be used to filter out players and make it so that the games will have a similar amount of kills etc

edhe
7th Apr 2005, 09:15 AM
You're thinking too smallscale here.

'Guessing' would not happen. Statistical ranking should be used (one that's better than the current system) with metrics for how people perform vs other people.

Server skill levels would be optional and with optional variations on the spread of skill, in an idea that think would work, so the server could be on, off, set for certain skillgroups or open to all with dynamic ranking dependant on those in it - and with that you could have a setting in your own client saying whether you give a **** about skill guidance or not.

But statistics would have to be far more advanced than the current - we're not talking about kills vs others only, but a variety of things that i explained in another thread - teamwork quotients and general efficiency/aggression. These kind of stats would seriously boost clan recruitment also (as long as the online DB works, and works well for searching).

(maybe if you have stats like that you could start 'managing' a clan, matching player values to positions, swapping those that would fit better etc... imagine a system where you could actually get traded in to a team that suits you better :B)

iron12
7th Apr 2005, 06:18 PM
The more like UT, the better. Its really the only way I personally think that the community will be as great as it was with the first Unreal Tournament. :)

I agree.

ON my wish list

I would like to see a remake of pressure. Make it extra cool. Make them blow up real good.

I would like to see the ripper return.

I know I'm going to get flames for this but I like the way the UT99 rocket launcher was.

neilthecellist
7th Apr 2005, 06:36 PM
I KINDA liked the UT99 rocket launcher, how it could house 6 rockets....

But I was satisfied in the end with the UT2k4 rocket launcher.

Bot_40
7th Apr 2005, 06:45 PM
UT rl was nice but 6 rockets = too many. 3 is better. But the dual use (rockets vs pipe bombs) was very nice, just what you need for tricky situations when you just know someone is coming round the corner.

I must say I am VERY concerned about the canister gun or whatever it is going to be. The absolute worst thing epic could do imo is make primary fire fire whatever, and secondry fire change ammo type (which is what I expect they are thinking - they are trying to cram grenades+spidermines+googun into 1 weapon?). When I'm in the middle of a 1on1 battle with someone shooting me in the face I certainly don't have time to be flicking through 5 ammo types then missing the one I want by accident. I want a weapon with 2 basic fire modes, a primary fire that works one way, and a secondary fire which works another.

FireCrack
7th Apr 2005, 06:49 PM
Mbaye it just shoots remotley detonating goo spiders?

neilthecellist
7th Apr 2005, 06:51 PM
(neil imagines a mentally disturbing image of "goo spiders")

iron12
7th Apr 2005, 07:06 PM
I think the UT99 rocket launcher was hilarious.

Turn a corner and have 5 rockets bouncing your way.

Oh lord. Booooom!!! Ahhh good times.

neilthecellist
7th Apr 2005, 07:19 PM
I was at a friend's house once for UT99.

Pop around a corner WHAM 5 rockets in my FACE

ultimate humiliation...wish i had a screenie of it

Xipher
7th Apr 2005, 10:49 PM
UT rl was nice but 6 rockets = too many. 3 is better. But the dual use (rockets vs pipe bombs) was very nice, just what you need for tricky situations when you just know someone is coming round the corner.

I must say I am VERY concerned about the canister gun or whatever it is going to be. The absolute worst thing epic could do imo is make primary fire fire whatever, and secondry fire change ammo type (which is what I expect they are thinking - they are trying to cram grenades+spidermines+googun into 1 weapon?). When I'm in the middle of a 1on1 battle with someone shooting me in the face I certainly don't have time to be flicking through 5 ammo types then missing the one I want by accident. I want a weapon with 2 basic fire modes, a primary fire that works one way, and a secondary fire which works another.

Have you tried the Chaos UT2 mod yet? It has a few weapons with multiple ammo types, one of them being a grenade launcher. It still has 2 fire modes, and a seperate key to swap between them. I didn't find it too hard to get used too though. By the way, I believe CUT2 defaults that ammo type switch to the z key.

BooGiTyBoY
7th Apr 2005, 11:16 PM
I dont want my gooper being mixed with another gun :(
it's my fav next to my beloved shield-gun/impact hammer, which is probably going to be replaced with something non-pogo-stick-like.

iron12
10th Apr 2005, 08:20 AM
I know what I don't want to see.

Hand loading ammo. And limiting the number of weapons you can carry.

I dont like those games where you have to throw a weapon down because you can only carry 2 or 3 weapons.

neilthecellist
10th Apr 2005, 01:56 PM
Iron12, you mean like Halo?

edhe
11th Apr 2005, 06:30 AM
never part of UT before..

SealClubber
11th Apr 2005, 05:58 PM
I think the UT99 rocket launcher was hilarious.

Turn a corner and have 5 rockets bouncing your way.

Oh lord. Booooom!!! Ahhh good times.

See. Fun times had by all.

"more like UT" makes this possible.

:)

carmatic
11th Apr 2005, 06:17 PM
i think theyre trying to make it like that multiple grenade launcher in unreal 2, or something... secondary fire changes ammo, imagine how sucky that can be....

"more like UT" could also mean that rockets are loaded by default and wont fire until you let go of the trigger... 2k3 and 2k4's rocket launchers are like quake or something, instant fire rockets...
wasnt there a trick that you could do with the grenades that you got from the old rocket launcher?or were they just known for their spamminess and were removed...

JaFO
11th Apr 2005, 07:54 PM
Reply to jafo
1) I didnt mean like make X weapon too powerful in one gametype & too weak in other gametype. I just meant the subtle changes for example shield.

No one will notice 'subtle' changes and the ones that might actually notice & give a damn rarely play multiple gametypes, so why bother ?

Remember : this game is aimed at the 'casual' player aka Joe Sixpack. It certainly will never be aimed at the kind of gamer that tends to remove all the fun in the game by reducing the game to a series of carefully calculated riscs.

Besides : modifying/mutating weapons has been the easiest thing to do in the Unreal-series of games since mutators were introduced.

In UT2004 all weapons are fun to play.but in 1vs1 ...

There is no real 1vs1 gametype in UT. There never was one and probably never will be either. As a result weapons were never 'balanced' in this type of environment to begin with.

// cannister-gun
From a weapon-design/programming point of view this type of weapon makes a lot of sense. Why waste resources and create 3 'different' weapons (grenadelauncher, goo-gun, spidermine-launcher) that are the same except for the ammo ?
Even in their tactical use they are identical (setting traps, firing at opponents behind cover, area-denial).
Besides : how many maps would feature more than one of them anyway ?

You'd even get a decent base-class weapon that can be extended for a variety of ammo-types with very little code.

iron12
12th Apr 2005, 11:51 AM
When you play a 1vs1 match the game should replay the winning shot in slow motion, Tekken style.

So if you win the game by blasting someone with a shock combo, it shows it slow mo.

If this is possible please implement this in the next UT, Epic please.

Im sure most of the winning shots would probably be boring but some would be pretty cool. Head shots and what not.

Psycho_Leech
12th Apr 2005, 01:34 PM
That could be a good idea, although it could also be seen in regular deathmatch as well. Would probably be more interesting than just freezing everything, although the motionless models can be cool to look at from certain angles.

JaFO
12th Apr 2005, 02:07 PM
showing the winning shot / goal in an automated replay would definitely be a nice feature, because such a thing can only mean that the demo-recording-feature works and can be mutated to do other fun stuff ...

FrostedHate
23rd Apr 2005, 04:29 PM
According to the Beyond Unreal Link (http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/future/envy.php ) it says the double jump is back. If "envy" were tobe more like the first UT why would they have this? It should be a server controlled option whether you want double jump or not.

my 2cents

Discord
23rd Apr 2005, 04:50 PM
I dont want my gooper being mixed with another gun :(
it's my fav next to my beloved shield-gun/impact hammer, which is probably going to be replaced with something non-pogo-stick-like.

* buys boogityboy a drink.

O Goo Gun, we hardly knew ye... :(

23rd Apr 2005, 05:19 PM
I don't see how the double jump is going to take away from the original feeling. It would add more to melee battles. Double jump doesn't take away from the "in your face" part of UT everyone rants about, imo. Go into a demo server and see the pro double jumpers own with rockets and flak. Demo servers have a lot of close proximity action.

However, the dodge-jump makes it a rare coincidence to see someone charge a hitscan whore with rockets or flak in a wide open area. The main reason is because once you start your dodge jump towards an opponent they'll know exactly where you are going to land and if you don't have shield up you automatically get headshotted or flak shards in your face even because of the fast weapon switching, and if you run at them and strafe enough at the same time to throw off their aim, they'd just jump dodge backwards. If they made the run faster and made the dodge distance considerably farther then the distance you would go by running the duration of time it takes to double tap a key and moving in the air then it would make the dodge still worth using in an aggressive way. Maybe they should stop people from dodging backwards too but I don't know how they'd do this. Perhaps, when executing a dodge the longer the duration you keep your xhair in the direction your dodge was in the farther your dodge will go. But it might make the dodge feel too awkward.

I personally enjoy being able to dodge jump around large levels. And the intricacy of dodge jumps makes it an even more fun for me. But if the dodge-jump is taken out and levels are built to facilitate the regular UT dodge and made smaller to inhibit hitscan whoring at long distances, the DM matches might be more fun, and we'll get to see all the pretty polygons on those ue3 models.

But one thing that makes the double jump really annoying, is those stupid character animations for them. I hope when they said they were getting rid of the "bounciness" they meant they were making the character animations less ridiculous. Seeing characters flip and do somersault acrobatic crap can be real intimidating to someone new to the game. I force Gorge because I don't like any of the smaller skinnier models that falsely represent their hitbox. I think the movement system would be less intimidating to beginners if they included a simple AS-trials map explaining to them all the basics to moving around. It really wasn't that hard. Another thing I'd like to see them do in the future is to provide more documentation for how the game really works, not through the manual but release information on the internet. I've no idea how the headshot system works. If it isn't as simple as hitting a character in the face then don't say it is, or atleast make models represent their hitbox correctly.

rhirud
25th Apr 2005, 07:08 AM
One thing I'd say to the first poster - The way forward is bigger maps and more players.

Playing in a 16 a side team is totally different to 8 a side.

For 8 a side - a single player usually turns the tide of a game (outside clans that is)

With far larger player counts, it is a lot less spammy and considerably more tactical. One player is far less able to dominate; and a good player by himself cannot win a game.

If any of you haven't played a 32 player game against good opposition - try it.

Titan or Cain's lair, when there are 5-6 regulars <clr> 's or .T32's around. You'll see what I mean.

Israphel
25th Apr 2005, 07:30 AM
@ what Rhirud said.

Maybe it's true. I like big games and enjoy playing on Titan, but there are faults with the gametype on big maps. For example if you are attacking a node and lose your vehicle, then the game changes and the node becomes locked, so you find yourself on foot with a long hike to get back to a friendly node and the action. This happens to me a lot on big maps like Dria and Apocolypse (and even medium maps like Severence).
Also, not every server is populated by a lot of people all the team, which means sometimes you are faced with playing a huge map with just a few players..and that's not a lot of fun for me.

Most ONS clan matches and tourney's are 6v6 or 3v3, and I would argue that 3v3 on Frostbite ot Torlan (3v3 maps have different node layout's and vehicle spawns) is everybit as enjoyable as 16v16 on Apocolypse or Surripere.

I think large games and big maps ARE the way to go, but I hope Epic keeps in mind the popularity of small games and includes some appropriate maps.

carmatic
27th Apr 2005, 05:25 PM
for the long hikes, just commit suicide (no not in real life) and you'll spawn alot closer to where the action should be...

anyway, yeah, ive been on the titaninternet32playerons server, and its thouroughly enjoyable to see good people playing good matches, all the regulars are competent and the day when i get excited to be first in a match on any old pub has looong past....

Gnam
28th Apr 2005, 03:20 AM
I think one of the biggest disapointments in UT200x after UT99 was that the roster of weapons was actually smaller...

The enforcers were taken out, and replaced by a crappy assault rifle.

The ripper was completely scrapped, instead of being tweaked and improved to make it more balanced, usefull, and popular.

Grenades were taken off the RL and nerfed for the crapssault rifle.

The only new weapons were specific to ONS and not available in DM/TDM/CTF.

The the next UT, the roster of weapons should be expanded, not reduced. The ripper should make a return, but this time balanced and improved so it plays a bigger role. The assault rifle should be ditched and replaced with the enforcer, unless a better spawn weapon is found. The grenade launcher from UC2 should be added to UT2005/6/Envy, because it's a great weapon and makes makes grenades important to Unreal combat again. There needs to be atleast 1 or 2 weapons which do something completely new but still can be integrated into regular DM/TDM/CTF gameplay. If one or two old incarnations like the stinger or dispersion pistols found their way into the game somehow, that would also add to the variety.

Granted, the more weapons you have the harder it is to cram them into the map. However, UT is all about it's unique weapons, so impressing players with newer, more innovative weapons and expanding the roster should be a priority. To avoid redundancy, not all weapons will be used all the time. Either only a small set of weapons would be included on each map, or a system for allowing the players to choose their preference of weapon, similar to UC2's system or a class system, would be employed. For example, players could choose between the enforcer, dispersion pistol, or even the AR. Maybe some maps would use link gun, while others a stinger.

Also, I want to see more attention to detail in the maps. In UT99, every map felt distinctive and hinged on some kind intruiging base concept or theme. In UT200x, sure, there are a few maps that are pretty cool, but a lot of them don't feel very distinctive, and many blur together. I want the next UT to have maps that are as distinctive as Deck16, Face, Pressure, Phobos, etc. Also, I want to see more of the classics return instead of being scrapped. If a map is good, there's no point in discarding it and replacing it with a new, mediocre one. Of course, there has been some critcism with this concept that when the gameplay changes from one game to the next, the play no longer suits the maps of the old game....well, if the play doesn' suit the map, and the map can't be modified (within limits) to adapt to the gameplay, then there is something wrong with the gameplay and it should be tweaked.

As far as gameplay, while I think wall-dodging is a great concept, I think double-jumping and dodge-jumping just made movement feel clunky, stilted, and akward. Have multiple levels of comitment to a jump or dodge is a decent idea, however, if you're going to have a "double-jump", have it be a "super jump" where pressing jump yeilds one big, fluid single jump, instead of an akward, stilted, partitioned, unnatural double jump. Also, I've notived the falling speed after jumping in UT200x and UC2 to be unnaturally sluggish. Unreal is not Halo, and players should not float and drift downwards like balloons after jumping. Regardless of the height or length they jump, players should fall to the ground quick, like the 250 pound sack of rocks they are.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but something of the closed in, intimate feel of UT99's indoor maps was lost in UT200x. Even indoor maps seem to feature impossibly long, empty hallways, and the maps that are more closed in feel cramped for the gameplay. I'm not sure what it is (double/dodge jumping has been fingered) but whatever it is should be limited as necessary to return the tight, in-your face, wall-hugging, corner cutting feel of UT99. I'm all for expanding the options and methods of manuevering, but it should not require turning every DM map into a deluxe shopping mall.

extralongpants
28th Apr 2005, 10:46 AM
If I am not mistaken, the whole premise behind Unreal Tournament is a deadly tournament (almost like a game show) watched by an audience [at least in ut2k4]. None of the UT games have felt anything like that. I would love to see more 'tournament' incorporated into UT. Maybe if they just provided a special game mode that incorporated an audience interaction system, I would be happy [that way all the hardcore-'dont-change-ut' people wouldn't be upset].

I would like to see some real changes/additions to the game too. Things like weapon balance and double jumping could simply be tweaked with updates/patches. I really don't want UT2K4 with better graphics and another game type or two. I would like to play a new game.

I also think that the weapons need a massive overhaul. The assault rifle is pretty useless. All you hardcore "the assault rifle is a deadly weapon if you know how to use it"-people can cry until the cows come home. It is an automatic airsoft gun. Every other gun is useful to some extent.
I could go on and on. The basic ideas behind most of the guns are great. They just need to feel more like guns. None of them sound or feel powerful to any extent.

To me, the whole idea of starting with a crappy gun and having to find a better one, in death match, is pretty ridiculous. If there were some system by which the longer you survived, the better the guns you could get, it would make some sense. But, as it stands, if you walk 50 ft. to your left, you might get a bio-rifle. Walk to your right and you might get a rocket launcher. It's just distracting. Players should just start with a descent weapon -maybe each spawn point could have a designated weapon.

:lol: Anyway, this ended up being a lot longer than I wanted to be. At any rate, change the game to my liking or die :chainsaw:

edhe
28th Apr 2005, 10:56 AM
Last longer and get better weapons?

That sounds like.. Deathmatch to me....

Gnam
28th Apr 2005, 11:56 AM
The assault rifle is crap. The enforcer was great because it was still decently powerfull if you could aim well. Dual enforcers made some sense, and gave you a pretty good degree of power for a decent degree of skill if you picked a second one up. The assault rifle just has crap power and crap accuracy. Dual AR's is a ridiculous concept, and just gives the player more spamming power. Also, I would rather have a dedicated grenade launcher that you had to pick up but was powerfull, than spawn with weak grenades,

I would rather the AR be replaced with an enforcers again. However, if it stays, then there needs to be some way to be sure of some hits with the primary fire. Either the overall spread should be reduced, or a first-shot-accuracy/recoil system should be emplaced so repeated single shots or bursts will hit, but full on spray spreads wildly. There should be enough ammo pick ups that after prolonged survival, you are actually likely to have grenades on hand when you need them, rather than having emptied your supply the first time you were caught without another weapon, and having been unable to re-supply the entire time since then.

Honestly though, I'd rather just have a grenade launcher and an enforcer.

gregori
6th May 2005, 11:45 AM
THe should just make a better bio rifle,
the spider mines don't need a launcher just make them like hand grenades that sprout legs when you throw them. Replace all the funny targeting devices with one painter for all
devices ion cannon,bomber and spider mines. every body spawns with this device and control of superweapons will involve capturing a domination style point that respawns after a while just like the pick up for them. that be alot simpler

the should replace the enforcers with a much better more powerfull version of the assault rifle for conquest and ons.

gregori
6th May 2005, 11:50 AM
the tekken slow motion idea is actually quite good,
maybe they could even put in 'highlights of the match' function that records all the best kills, stunts and awards and replays them in fast and slow motion and add effects

MxX
12th May 2005, 09:05 AM
Here are some things I would like to have (back) in UT2k7 (or however it will be named *g*):

1. Cool revisions of the already included chars, UT(99)-Chars and some new would be really cool. And there are some extremly well done skins from the community here, such things should be included too. Same counts for the Maps.

2. Don`t take away the MiniGun! Double Enforcers sound good, but the weapon strength should be well balanced!

3. Double Domination is still a boring gametype (in my opinion), the "classiC" version was really cool, maybe it should have a comeback...

4. 4 Team-Battles should also find there way back in the game, 4TDM is just more fun than TDM.

5. The statistics in UT(99) in the ngstats-prog were great! Well, of course there where too much infos, but it`s still intresting I think. Data could be saved via difficulty-level (in botmatches). One Bot shown 6 times is not so good *g*. And plz more than 64 places ;)

6. There should be a more motivating SinglePlayer-Mode. I know it is designed for online games, but with a few RPG- and managing-elements this could be great!
e.g. start in the DM-League, joining a team/clan (not beeing team-leader!),get on top of a clan (or create a new one), hire teammates, let them improve or hire better ones, boost your atributes (which you start with eg 50% of the normal value), and so on, there are many possibilites :) For that reason there should be many diffrent bots (point 1) for many diffrent teams and not simple DUP-bots.

7. Bring back the Announcer saying the names of the chars, I loved that in UT2k3!

for the moment I`m out of ideas *g* but maybe someone has another?

gregori
12th May 2005, 11:07 AM
something more like the ut99 hud would rock,
tthe ut2k4 hud was to gaudy,

Or possibly different hud designs for different charaters/species
i'd be happy with that

MxX
19th May 2005, 08:45 AM
something more like the ut99 hud would rock,
tthe ut2k4 hud was to gaudy,

Or possibly different hud designs for different charaters/species
i'd be happy with that
Diffrent hud styles for diffrent char-classes or teams sounds like a great idea! But it should be fully customizeable for custom skinpacks *g*

gregori
19th May 2005, 02:52 PM
Have that skull symol for the frags too! thats way better,
once the hud is kept nice, simple refined___ but not plain either, visually cohesive and all that lark!

MxX
23rd May 2005, 05:13 AM
Beeing able again to give orders to the bots before the game starts would also be cool

empty_other
23rd May 2005, 06:28 AM
Should they anyway go with the freeze-scene at the end of a match, could they please freeze all objects (karma, instant hit graphics, other weaponfire). I did sometimes do that with "playersonly" command, and sometimes i got some real cool screenshots...

Could they stop removing weapons? Make a list of "official weapons for this release", who is redone, and is the weapons mainly used for this game. But (as with a few of the weapons and actors in U1 -> UT) let the other weapons, unchanged or changed if they got the time, be accesable to mappers.

Not split the character selection into races, but teams.

Make it possible to, in a botmatch, to select whole teams. Like when playing CTF 4vs4, i select that Thundercrash should be my team (i will be assigned 3 random bots from Thundercrash), and the enemy is the Necris Blade Maiden (4 random bots from them).

Let most weapons do more damage. Play with the UTClassic mutator from time to time, it IS more fun.

Keep the minigun, but tweak it a bit more. In UT i always prefered the minigun before the 'link-gun'. It felt like they did the same damage, but it was easier to keep the gun on target, and it felt like the victim became slowed done a bit.

Add a few custom deathanimation before the ragdolldeath hits. Like the 'standing and shaking' while hit by a minigun and dies, or when your head is missing, while the body didnt get much momentum, let him stand and try to "feel his head" before falling over.
Not every time, of course. Let there be a bit randomness, and a few conditions that has to happen...

Limit the translocator even more (most players probably going to disagree with this).

Of course; four teams! Not necessarly any maps, but supported by the gametypes and the skins (like UT99). And that i say without ever having played it four teams...Just liked to give my character the green skin in DM.

I missed the local UTStats. Using OLStats when playing in UT2004, and enjoy life 4.2% more :) .

When playing onslaught, i want to be able to get home again when i have lost my vehicle by a deserted, but closed node. Maybe having an translocator always stationed at the homebase? Or make vehicle lockpickable? I dont care, i just want HOME!

Make a long jump actually dangerous. I dont have count on how many times i have taken no damage from a jump from Torlan tower.

Make shields at 100 the default shields, while shields at 50 an xtrathing on a map. Like in UT.

Make the pickups better looking. A rotating holosymbol just dont look as cool as an actually medkit to pick up. Same with big shields (armor) and small shields (pads). Again, maybe make them optional for the mapper (classic style/modern style).

Which leads to my next point; more for the mappers...even if its never used officially ingame, include it.

One of my other ideas in another post: able to do a few new dodges when ducking.

Last: What is it they did with the perspective in UT200X that made every look and screenshot feel "wrong". I just never seem to find the right FOV...

A bit longer post than i planned, one idea just seemed to remind me of another idea i have had...

edhe
23rd May 2005, 07:00 AM
Have that skull symol for the frags too! thats way better,
once the hud is kept nice, simple refined___ but not plain either, visually cohesive and all that lark!
You're talking crap. \o/

1) UT hud had more going on than the 2k4 hud and was not as refined.
2) what bloody skull thing? You want it cleaned up and crap added back into it?

MxX
23rd May 2005, 09:02 AM
You're talking crap. \o/

1) UT hud had more going on than the 2k4 hud and was not as refined.
2) what bloody skull thing? You want it cleaned up and crap added back into it?

I can live with both variants, but the hud should definitaly more customizable. As prior mentioned team-huds, classic-version-huds and the opportunity to make whole custom ones *g*

edhe
23rd May 2005, 10:00 AM
You can customize, remove and add standard elements. Anything else and you'd be fowl of most cheat programs.

Your point stands though, being able to play about with the HUD is fun, whether changing it's colour, size, opacity, organisation or even simply removing it - it's the kind of thing UT has had and should have.

gregori
23rd May 2005, 11:10 AM
HUD in ut99 is much nicer looking, there aren't 50 million colours in it for weapons logos or all that cr#p, it was mostly all one colour ,not gaudy.Having a skull for the frags is just plain cool,
i hate that sh#t with all the numbers for spread and frags mixed up as it's not immediately obvious what your score is when you start playing the game

edhe
23rd May 2005, 11:47 AM
Press F1.

gregori
23rd May 2005, 03:20 PM
dont want to press F1 , want a simple clear unobtrusive hud that isn't gaudy and add to the atmosphere of the game!

edhe
24th May 2005, 04:22 AM
Have you thought about changing your options to make it smaller / less opaque?

gregori
24th May 2005, 11:43 AM
yup, don't want to either ,just resent the ut2k4 hud, thats all!

EL BOURIKO
24th May 2005, 12:16 PM
Many interesting ideas/wishes concerning the new opus of UT.

here is what i d like to get in the new UT2007:

- IN DM and TDM, in the score table, I d like to see the efficiency in addition of frag and death... And highlight the name with the highest ONE!
(efficiency is maybe the most important thing to look at FIRST)

- I would like the game to reward those who die less and penalize those who play in a kamikaze style... For instance, take away half of the current adrenaline capital to the player who suicide! or modify the skin of the poorest players on the pitch...

- I would like to see all big bonus and super weapons ONLY located on hardly reacheable spots or trap places. For instance the deemer in GOLIATH is a fine example of what I mean, you need to demonstrate either good skill at lift jumping or you need to perform a shield gun jump to get it. the same with deemer in Asbestos, then it s risky to go down there to pick it up.
A typical example of ridiculous location is the 100 shield in ALBATROS, it is too easy to control the 100 shield and 5 health corridor in game with more than 4 players...

- some tutorial concerning technical moves (and why not licenses as in gran Turismo ) could be a great way to learn cool moves and shoot tricks.

- I would definitively enjoy to see a TDM mode with 3 teams instead of the actual 2!

- Please BAN cheaters and Pirates for life! and find a way to kick racist/aggressive/unpolite/provocating players...

- Adjust the ELO ranking system... it s hard to accept that you are in a game where you frag 5 times and you don t die, but anyway, you LOSE some ELO points !!!! At the same time it s hard to accept that a player who died once and did not frag succeed to score some ELO points!!!!

-Well I have many more points to write down, maybe I will take time to send them later

cheers all...

gregori
24th May 2005, 12:24 PM
what the f#ck why would you want to penalise people for dying / playing kamikaze,
thats not really any fun is it?

i 'd take the tutorials point, and the cheaters one and the extra teams but you can't go forcing people to play the game one style, and not allow them to use their own ingenuity!

EL BOURIKO
24th May 2005, 02:44 PM
I understand what you mean Gregori... but what i want to point out with adrenaline penalty is this thing: I find it a bit tough to see in DM that someone with 50 frags and 70 deathes is before someone with 49 frags and 15 deathes... Maybe an adreline penalty could be a way to really reward the most effective players and so you get a balanced that is a more right... Well that s my point and my anylize is maybe wrong...

Otherwise, I would like to see in the next UT:

- a kind of hook and rope to move/fly like Tarzan / Spiderman.
This could not be used anywhere like the translocator but only where map's elements can be grabbed. Should it be an unlimited tool or a tool you should pick up... I don t know.

- A weapon that is typically designed for team based game. I was thinking to a kind of "Freezer". You can freeze a player for 3 seconds but only your team mate can kill him while he is frozen. it could be usefull either to frag or to stop an opponent right in front of a bonus, hehehehe.

- Another tool designed only for team based gametype: A portable jump pad!
you hold a jump pad and your teammate can jump on it. It could be useful in CTF to boost the flag holder or in TDM to send your mate in some eagle's nest to snipe in peace. Should it be an unlimited tool or a tool you should pick up and use only once... I don t know.

- I would adjust the translocator. I think that it should cost some few health points each time you translocate (5 or 10 points?). In a way just like when you perform a shield gun jump.

- I use to drop my assault rifle AT ONCE I respawn. I would be very pleased to get a fonction in the parameters to adjust which weapons are allowed in my arsenal and which one I NEVER wanna have even if I go over them when i play.

- I would like to get a SOUND warning when I reach the last 5% of the maximum ammo my weapon can hold when I use it. So i know that it is soon time to drop it if I have to. Or even better, i would like to be able to drop an empty weapon.

- If I shoot a flying redeemer, I would like that it kills automatically the one who is driving it.

- In TDM, I would like to see not only the frags but the death of each players in the final result table.

- I would like each character to have some specifical abilities. Some could run faster, some could handle more hits,... so that the choice of a character is not only a question of look but a tactical choice too!

maybe I should stop here for today.
Cheers
Bour.

NeoNite
24th May 2005, 02:52 PM
I
- If I shoot a flying redeemer, I would like that it kills automatically the one who is driving it.

That wouldn't make much sense...

Majik
24th May 2005, 02:57 PM
- I would like the game to reward those who die less and penalize those who play in a kamikaze style... For instance, take away half of the current adrenaline capital to the player who suicide! or modify the skin of the poorest players on the pitch...

Erm, that's exactly the opposite of what Epic wants. They want to make the game more 'up close & personal' and stray away from the defensive minded gameplay we currently have. The removal of the shield gun is proof of that.

And might I add that having a better efficiency isn't the objective of DM nor will it ever be.

EL BOURIKO
24th May 2005, 04:51 PM
WHAAAATTTT!!! WILL THEY REMOVE THE SHIELD GUN!!!!!

It s one of my favorite weapons!!

What else will come instead for very close (contact) combat then...???!!!
What else will come to replace the Shield gun jump???
What else will give me so much joy than fragging someone holding a flack with my shield gun?

Why not compromise? each time you use you shield gun to protect yourself then it uses some adrenaline or something like that?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

NeoNite
24th May 2005, 04:53 PM
Close contact? The impact hammer, of course. Which is VERY close contact.

Replace shield gun jumping? IH jumping, I suppose which is quite fun.

Did you play the first UT game?

Majik
24th May 2005, 05:02 PM
http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=8296

neilthecellist
25th May 2005, 01:37 AM
I think for close combat, we should bring back the Impact Hammer. It felt so....old-school. Many games these days lack the old school feeling, with the exception of the Grand Theft Auto series..

I think for the next UT, they should get rid of that stupid SpeechRedist/mouse lag issue.

MxX
25th May 2005, 03:39 AM
The Impact Hammer is just more fun than the shield gun and makes cooler sounds *g*

For the weapons it would be ideal if all classic, actual and new weapons are included. Simply insert an option for Weaponset-choice (like the announcer choice). This wouldn`t affect map design, because when weapon 7 is placed, it`s the minigun in one game, and the tarydion-gun (or however it`s called, sorry I`ve forgotten it at the moment *g*) in another game. Of course the chosen pack should be mentioned in server-browser.

Translocator should definitaly have a longer recharge time and less charges, but life-loss due usage is in my opinion not the best way.

EL BOURIKO
25th May 2005, 05:57 AM
In UT2004, I would really like to snipe but sadly (well... for me =D ) i am surely the poorest sniper that the whole UT community can get...
So I was wondering if, in the next UT, one of these accurate long range weapons could include a kind of flashing light that tells you each time when you have an opponent in your exact line of fire. Oh! I don t mean a kind of aimbot or to lock an opponent as the rocket launcher can do, but just a signal. you still have to press the fire button by your own! Of course the use of this warning would mean that your hit would give LESS damage to your opponent (if you hit) than a hit done without the help of a warning.
I expect that all the "long range pin point accurate sniper devils" will fire this message but since it looks like that the people at EPIC wants the game to more offensive than defensive, maybe this could be an idea.

Cheers
bour.

edhe
25th May 2005, 06:03 AM
WHAAAATTTT!!! WILL THEY REMOVE THE SHIELD GUN!!!!!

It s one of my favorite weapons!!

What else will come instead for very close (contact) combat then...???!!!
What else will come to replace the Shield gun jump???
What else will give me so much joy than fragging someone holding a flack with my shield gun?

Why not compromise? each time you use you shield gun to protect yourself then it uses some adrenaline or something like that?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
It's people like you that've screwewd the game up already
DM is NOT about efficiency, TDM is. DM is about getting to the top mark first, TDM is about being so efficient that the other team doesn't. You've got your ideas muddle up.

The person that has 45 frags and 5 deaths and is in second place where the leader has 50 frags and 70 deaths.. that's DEATHMATCH, it's what it's about. Be happy that that person's more efficient, you get your spree rewards. And adrenaline's going, it's a stupid system. Shieldgun appreciates too much cowardice.

You sound like the 1% of the UT community that thinks they're pro and want the game modelled around them, hence the failures of 2kx, and mainly 2k3. Also your ideas a purely TDM, not for the whole of the game (IE ctf, losing health for xloc? jesus.. shut up)... So don't whine, real pros don't whine boy.

gregori
25th May 2005, 11:55 AM
funny, the impact hammer and the sheild gun were both never good weapons and every body trows a hissy fit when one is chosen over the other,

the sheildgun was functionally only an impact hammer with a shield

ultimately i would of rathered epic thought up something new! How bout a literal powered warhammer that is or a chainsword?

EL BOURIKO
25th May 2005, 12:33 PM
hahahaha! i don t look at myself as a pro, EDHE!
I am just an totally AVERAGE player who just shoot like a noob with a lightning ;-) and a shock.
I have a way (right or wrong :S) to consider the game and I just let my feelings talk.
I totally agree with you concerning your TDM points, maybe i should agree about your DM point of view too, but I just have some problems to accept that "overdieing" can be rewarded... Silly me! sorry :S

edhe
25th May 2005, 12:46 PM
You're not being rewarded for it, your managing to win despite it.

carmatic
25th May 2005, 06:24 PM
how about, for a meelee type weapon... like something that shoots large, slow moving, short range projectiles , which is easily dodged at anything further than the effective range of the current shield gun... like a flamethrower, but with much more refined projectiles so its not spammy and it doesnt need ammo

Dark Pulse
25th May 2005, 06:30 PM
Impact Hammer is already confirmed for UT2007. Any complaints about the Shieldgun are pointless, therefore.

I'd rather have it that way, truth be told... you can easily survive a knock off Faceclassic in 2004 with it, whereas in UT99 a fall off the top was an almost sure kill and gib.

That and it helps people who are in the lead. Ever see a "Pro" 1v1 DM? It's mostly touch and go. They fire a shot, pull out Shieldguns and retreat. It's less about killing, more about not being killed...

Vault
30th May 2005, 03:08 PM
how about good old fashioned fists? well, with special gloves of course (for blocking rockets adn such)

Bloodwolf806
30th May 2005, 03:43 PM
1. A sound track reminiscent of UT99
2. NECRIS!!!!!
3. Better physics.
4. keep fun gameplay intact.

That's all folks!

Vault
30th May 2005, 03:47 PM
heres my three wishes

Make it the best game ever.

Give ten million dollars to every person who purchases it

Make the game cost 10 cents

neilthecellist
30th May 2005, 03:52 PM
/me laughs at Vault.

I liked the melee block functions of UC2: LC. Maybe if this is integrated into the next UT....

Vault
30th May 2005, 03:53 PM
you laugh at me? your gonna make me cry...... what did i do YOU?

Bloodwolf806
30th May 2005, 03:57 PM
you laugh at me? your gonna make me cry...... what did i do YOU?

:Poop:

carmatic
30th May 2005, 07:23 PM
like, in UC2 you can swing a sword or something and reflect a hitscan one-shot-kill sniper shot...

gregori
30th May 2005, 07:36 PM
It be interesting since they got rid of the shieldgun if they could intergrate deflection in some other way, or make it a standard ability all players can do with enough skill of timing, Perhaps the could tone down the supershield in return for it giving you great deflection and blocking powers aswell as a bunch of otherstuff!

neilthecellist
30th May 2005, 10:11 PM
That's exactly what I"m talking about, the melee deflections from UC2: LC.

FireCrack
30th May 2005, 10:15 PM
orr they could mkae deployable FF:Spirits gel wich would be more cool in many more awesome ways.

Vault
30th May 2005, 11:22 PM
id like for Red Orchestra, Frag Ops, and Dodgeball should be standard gametypes in UT2007.

neilthecellist
31st May 2005, 12:05 AM
Hehe, same here, but that'd take up more than 2 DVDs... wouldn't it?

Artman40
31st May 2005, 12:14 AM
I'd like LOUDER and I mean LOUDER sound effects. I sometimes can't even hear weapon sounds. The 'underpowered weapon sounds' thing is sadly very common in present FPS games :(.

neilthecellist
31st May 2005, 09:18 AM
Yep. Real guns fire REALLY loudly.... But that'd be overkill on your speakers, or worse, your headphones.

MxX
31st May 2005, 09:56 AM
Yep. Real guns fire REALLY loudly.... But that'd be overkill on your speakers, or worse, your headphones.

The loudness should range from "Baby is sleaping" to "can be heard in China". Fully adjustable for your personal needs and all are happy :D

Vault
31st May 2005, 10:51 AM
think about talking into i mic with that loundnes. none of team could hear you

gregori
31st May 2005, 12:51 PM
anyone notice how wussy the sounds for guns in modern fps games have gotten?
copare doom3 to the original doom, ut2k4 to ut99,halo to everything else and you'll get the idea! infact the sounds of the ragdolls were much louder than most of the guns!

inspite that, the shock combo sound is sweeeeeeet!

Vault
31st May 2005, 01:05 PM
yeah, your right. I thinks its cause the sound tech has gotten streamlined and the scratcy sounds of yester-year has dissapeared. The scratchy sounds were naturally gun like, i thinks thats what happen

gregori
31st May 2005, 01:30 PM
damn i prefered it when the sounds were loud and gritty, i dont think it a problem with the tech, you would think with improving sound technology sound would get incrementally better as it has done with graphics!sound has pretty much taken the backseat in games which ruins the immersion factor______sound is alot more important in games than developers think!

Vault
31st May 2005, 01:43 PM
well, i actually thinks sounds are starting to make a comeback. I thought HL2 had good sound, and Halo2 was ok. I think developers are starting to realize the problem..... but then again... there was the sound atrocity called.. Phariah....

uhhgg..

MxX
2nd Jun 2005, 10:31 AM
well, the mic should beable to be configured correct, that anybody could hear it good (maybe sound tests)

another thing I`d wish, that again any character can be chosen for Single Player mode, also the chars that must be unlocked. e.g. unlock Malcolm and play with him the next game for unlocking the other chars.

gregori
2nd Jun 2005, 01:07 PM
A bit crazy, i know, but i'd like to see a different for every single player character you beat the game with like tekken!, if not that , i'd like to see at least one long ending sequence, which was desperately missing from 2kx!, like one with massive cheering crowds, gladiator style, where your character/team goes to accept your award ar the throne of the emperor, Something thats on an EPIC scale!

neilthecellist
2nd Jun 2005, 09:46 PM
yeah, what happened to tournaments? UT2k4 was a friggin war. STupid idea.

MxX
3rd Jun 2005, 02:37 AM
yap the ending was just a little bit diassapointing in all UT-Titles, In Unreal there were at least cool sequenes.

Hope they will change that. When ingame-videos would be taken for the ceremony, the team could be shown well there, even if you playeyed with custom skins

gregori
3rd Jun 2005, 08:26 AM
Since the game being more integrated online in 2k7 have a hall of champions, statues and everything thats updated around the clock, since they have the player waiting rooms and chat functions and all that!

Wowbagger
3rd Jun 2005, 08:50 AM
Yea, ive been thinking of the sounds in UT too.
I would like more "omphff" for certain events.

Like if a fully armed player jumps from 5 meters, it sounds and looks like a friggin ballet dancer! :)

Animate the players so that they go down into almost crouch mode when jumping from high places and add some bass sound that reflects that a 150kilo guy on the other side of the room just jumped from 5 meters.

A stupid question, is it difficult, technically, to add bass sounds to events?
Are they too slow? (hard to explain)

Wowbagger
4th Jun 2005, 04:03 AM
It would be fun if your characters skin online reflected how well youve done in the SP Ladder.
Lets say you get Gold details on the skin when finishing the ladder on the Hardest level.
And then on a falling order Silver, Bronze etc (maybe pink for easy ;))

Theman2k
4th Jun 2005, 05:21 AM
1)I would like a full DVD dedicated to "The Making Of UT2007" .
I would like full interviews and to see all the staff at Epic ! :)
I would like to hear about the process of making the game and peeks at their computers and the softwares their using.

I would like to see them talk about the unreal series from the past present and future :)

I would also like to see the high poly work and the work flow of making the game .

2) i would like to see a SP at least as good as UC2'S SP !!!
With tons of cut sceans ...
and alot of story behind it (not just a stupid show like the PS3 presentation that no body talks there).

but real story not like the bla bla of future numbers and stuff like UT2003-4 Intro.
Something more like UT99 combined with UC2.

i will write more soon.

P.S

sorry for the poor grammer :(

NeoNite
4th Jun 2005, 11:09 AM
It would be fun if your characters skin online reflected how well youve done in the SP Ladder.
Lets say you get Gold details on the skin when finishing the ladder on the Hardest level.

Then again, 3 out 4 gold players would've probably cheated to get that nice, interesting colour so :D

I don't think you'd see any pinkies, though ;O)

Wowbagger
4th Jun 2005, 11:45 AM
True that, unless, they make it uncheatable!
ok, ok stop laughing :)

Xipher
4th Jun 2005, 02:51 PM
1)I would like a full DVD dedicated to "The Making Of UT2007" .
I would like full interviews and to see all the staff at Epic ! :)
I would like to hear about the process of making the game and peeks at their computers and the softwares their using.

I actually would be happy to see this as well, although I already have a guess as to what software they are using. Its the same tools they provide with the game, except for modeling, and the IDE (probably VC++ for Windows, as for mac and linux, text editor, scons, and gcc).
would be fun to see a bit more in a behind the scenes video though. I believe they did have one on the second DVD that was included with UT2004 SE.

Theman2k
4th Jun 2005, 06:01 PM
I believe they did have one on the second DVD that was included with UT2004 SE.

That was trash ! I was like 1 minute long :\

carmatic
4th Jun 2005, 06:20 PM
ah! so thats what the ut2k7 logo looks like...
it looks like its more like the 'tournament' franchise than the 'unreal' franchise, seeing that its like the word that doesnt change across the logos...

EL BOURIKO
5th Jun 2005, 06:09 AM

I find this skin stuff quite interesting.
And why not having the ladder progression recorded in your personnal stats?
Only those who record their ladder progression on their stats would be able to download the correct skin at the beginning of each round...
I think that it could be something to work out since the ladder is maybe one of the best tutorial you can get.

neilthecellist
5th Jun 2005, 12:18 PM
Then you'd be able to hack that through your INI file...

Wowbagger
5th Jun 2005, 12:30 PM
That depends on how much they improve the MS.

Discord
5th Jun 2005, 04:33 PM
I have a small one: bring back the UT2k3 naming convention for duplicate bots.

In UT2k4, if you load up a roster of say, 7 instances of the same bot character, it just gives each one a different name from the stock list of names. So 7 Malcolms would be named, Malcolm, Jakob, Gorge, Abaddon, etc.

In UT2k3, it gave them funny add- ons to the name. 7 Malcolms in UT2k3 would be, Malcolm, Owns_Malcolm, The_Real_Malcolm, etc. etc.

I thought that was funny, bring it back I say.

neilthecellist
6th Jun 2005, 12:47 AM
I agree on that point. Perhaps there should be an interchangeable mode between UT2k4 style duplicate-bot-naming and a UT2k3 version, and perhaps a UT2k7 version. :? :confused:

Wowbagger
6th Jun 2005, 02:18 PM
Ok i have to do a whishlist too ;)

- Adrenaline, Take it out, burn it, pee on it, force it to watch a Bruckenheimer DVD on repeat, or, just make it OFF by default.

- Playerscale, Solve the PlayerScale problem (im 100% sure Epic:s working on this already and its already hinted at in E3 but still worth mentioning)

- Fix Voice Chat, make it better (Add Voice Activation, PLEASE ) so more people feel comfortable using it.

- Take the opportunity to rebuild Demorec/netcode from scratch (like BF2 where you can fly through a paused demo ClientSide!)

- Spectate, make a decent Spectate Menu with All players plus Flags etc
Also show weapons, score, armor, health, announcement, kill messages (and more) while spectating.

- Clan support INGAME, Clan page with Contact info, Logo, Members and Tags.(already hinted at by Epic at E3 tho)

- Expanded UT Stats with support for OFFICIAL Matches and Clans.
Divided in the regular stats, and Regional Competetive Stats (US, Europe, Asia etc) that would, in reality, function as any other League or Ladder.
The important thing is to make being in the top of UTStats something to be proud of, something that would count.

- Official Matches, when voting for maps etc there should be an option to vote for Official Match making it show up in the Competetive UT Stats. (2 ppl decides to play and vote for Deck16 AND Official Match resulting in the match getting "counted" in the Competetive Stats area)

- If youre gonna have Official Servers again PLEASE put some GOOD maps on and/or dont make them CTF-FaceClassic ONLY!!
You have helped the gifted mappers out there create awesome maps and then on your own, OFFICIAL Servers, you have CTF-FaceClassic ONLY? i dont get it?
If all things fail i should atleast be able to have a good time on the Official Servers.

- Put back the Reconnect feature from UT and add a History for the last 10 servers you have joined.

- AutoSave Score

- DONT count bots as players this time around please, its embarrassing really.

- Flyby Intro, Bring It Back!!!!!

Dark Pulse
6th Jun 2005, 04:22 PM
Discord']I have a small one: bring back the UT2k3 naming convention for duplicate bots.

In UT2k4, if you load up a roster of say, 7 instances of the same bot character, it just gives each one a different name from the stock list of names. So 7 Malcolms would be named, Malcolm, Jakob, Gorge, Abaddon, etc.

In UT2k3, it gave them funny add- ons to the name. 7 Malcolms in UT2k3 would be, Malcolm, Owns_Malcolm, The_Real_Malcolm, etc. etc.

I thought that was funny, bring it back I say.
The stuff for that is still in the INT files... it'd probably take a micodium of scripting.

Discord
6th Jun 2005, 06:43 PM
The stuff for that is still in the INT files... it'd probably take a micodium of scripting.

Oh... sweet. :)

I always forget about those .int files...