PDA

View Full Version : The Ripper

NiteX
4th Apr 2005, 02:03 AM
I noticed in the newly release info for the next UT game (Envy) in the weapons department there was no Ripper. I loved the Ripper in UT99 and was very upset that they took it from UT2003 and didn't bring it back to UT2004. I guess they saw no need for it, but I still really enjoyed that weapon. Should it be brought back for the next UT game? I know I would like to see it return.

edhe
4th Apr 2005, 03:16 AM
IMHO if they want to bring back some of the UT feel it might be an idea to do so.

It would need some serious tweaking, but we should see how it fairs in UC2 also.

Mr.Magnetichead
4th Apr 2005, 04:02 AM
It OWNS in UC2.

It's my fave explosive weapon, Mike Capps loves it too.

It rocks. It's a head shot weapon, a rocket launcher and a mine layer all in one.

JaFO
4th Apr 2005, 07:54 AM
anything that can cut limbs of people gets my vote ;)

B
4th Apr 2005, 07:58 AM
yeh what he said -^^

Sir_Brizz
4th Apr 2005, 08:50 AM
Razor Jack, baby!

Taleweaver
4th Apr 2005, 09:00 AM
It OWNS in UC2.

It's my fave explosive weapon, Mike Capps loves it too.

It rocks. It's a head shot weapon, a rocket launcher and a mine layer all in one.
Mine layer? Did I miss anything?
For me, UT's ripper was about spam, spam and accidental suicides. I do miss the way the alt fire knocked people around though.
Yeah, put me up for that thing...as long as the prim rate of fire is tuned down a bit.

The_Head
4th Apr 2005, 09:51 AM
BRING IT BACK PLEASE EPIC!

I used to love that weapon, slicing heads ruled!
Would be really cool if it had some nice ragdoll sort of physics when it hit people. Would love to slice someones leg off and watch them hop around for a bit then die.......

NeoNite
4th Apr 2005, 10:01 AM
For me, UT's ripper was about spam, spam and accidental suicides. I do miss the way the alt fire knocked people around though..

Secondary fire is most fun, tbh :O) It's what I use most.

Razorjack? Compared to the UT ripper? Ripper > razorjack

(secondary firemode wasn't bad either though)

Sir_Brizz
4th Apr 2005, 10:59 AM
They were the same gun, except for the alt-fire which was super fast sideways discs on the razorjack and explosive discs on the Ripper.

iron12
4th Apr 2005, 11:24 AM
If was the coolest weapon ever.

edhe
4th Apr 2005, 11:55 AM
UC2 weapons have tertiary functions too, not just seconday :)

Mr.Magnetichead
4th Apr 2005, 02:49 PM

Yep.

Primary Fire - Shoot blade - R trigger

Secondary Fire - Charge up explosive blade - hold down L trigger

Tertiary Fire - Fire a proxy mine - hold down l trigger to charge then press R trigger

Mr.Magnetichead
4th Apr 2005, 02:56 PM
They were the same gun, except for the alt-fire which was super fast sideways discs on the razorjack and explosive discs on the Ripper.

Unreal - Razor Jack

Unreal Tournament - Ripper

Unreal Championship 2 - Ripjack

Also I think you missed the point of the Razor Jack secondary fire.

It was used to steer the blades IN THE AIR.

Try it, you can make them turn around corners without hitting walls.

The_Head
4th Apr 2005, 04:02 PM
^^ Its a pain in the neck to get right iirc. (When i used to play Unreal my comp could barely run it, probs have the problem :p)

NeoNite
4th Apr 2005, 04:06 PM
About steering projectiles, I think you can do the same thing to the RTNP rocketlauncher . (at least, the one I've tried was part of an ut conversion -> For co-op play. It was part of the Upak iirc)

Sir_Brizz
4th Apr 2005, 04:13 PM
Unreal - Razor Jack

I know, but I wasn't wrong :p

They are all essentially the same gun, I just think that the Razorjack was the coolest looking of them all, personally. I do like the UC2 version too though.

SanitysEdge
4th Apr 2005, 04:24 PM
UC2 weapons have tertiary functions too, not just seconday :)
Sex!
That would be ownage if Envy weapons have tertiary functions as well.

BenBeckwith
4th Apr 2005, 11:27 PM
Unreal - Razor Jack

Raper would be the next logical step then right?

FireCrack
5th Apr 2005, 01:07 AM
^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BooGiTyBoY
5th Apr 2005, 01:13 AM
Ripper > all

Sir_Brizz
5th Apr 2005, 08:50 AM
Raper would be the next logical step then right?
No...Rapejack. :p

HepatitisB
5th Apr 2005, 08:50 AM
Please bring the Ripper back! I saw its new design in UC2, and I can already imagine how cool it would be in the next UT. The Ripper must return.

-AEnubis-
5th Apr 2005, 02:43 PM
Actually, after hearing about the minelayer/goo/grenade canister combo thing, I wouldn't be suprised if envy had weapons with tertiary fire. I dug the ripper, but I only miss is on certain UT map ports.

In a way, RL, and Shock already have tertiary fires.

carmatic
5th Apr 2005, 03:00 PM
well, the shock rifle doesnt actually have a direct tertiary fire... its more a combo than a fire mode... like the gun itself doesnt explode , its merely shooting a primary fire that hits a secondary fire that causes it to explode... a 'fire mode' should mean something that actually comes out of the gun... like, in the rocket launcher, the rockets actually come out of the gun in a third way, with no other user input than to fire the rockets in a tight spiral...

anyway, yeah, the ripper or razorjack, i would like to see it come back.... it would do wonders with ragdolls, especially with whatever they upgraded the ragdolls to be in the new game...

how about, like , how they changed the rocket launcher to be more quake-like in ut2k3 and 2k4, the ripper should change its firemodes too, like...
primary fire: you know, shoots them out plainly
secondary fire: exploding razors, maybe the longer you hold it the more explosive it is? if you fire instantaneously you wont be able to do the tertiary fire
pressing primary fire while charging secondary fire : steering razors

so it can be used something like the rocket launcher, except it probably travels faster and it cuts off limbs as well

in chaosut, the ripper is quite cool and it does everything everyone needs, the secondary fire on that one behaves like a flak shell... but in their rocket launcher, you guide it with a laser like in half life 2, but the ripper steering should simply be like remote control and less like a laser guided weapon, so it will take skill but it will also become more dangerous, and make it so that the ripper can turn more sharply too

-AEnubis-
5th Apr 2005, 03:06 PM
Trust, you don't have to explain Shock to me ;)

It always has had a third attack that has been hard for them to balance out, and if they introduced this system into unreal tournament, they prolly wouldn't bestow one upon the shock rifle, giving it 4 attacks, and use tertiary in the rest of the weapons to balance out the shock rifle. Then maybe, it could have some of it's old "power" back.

Personally, I like the combo better then a tertiary type fire anyways, becuase of "skill to use". Like with rockets, it's more "skill to avoid".

carmatic
5th Apr 2005, 03:13 PM
yeah, thats why i said the shock rifle has only 2 fire modes

Dark Pulse
5th Apr 2005, 06:31 PM
Sure. It might get a reputation for spam from noobs (And rightly so) but the thing is any skilled player, in UT99, either ran away, or ducked (Remember- you couldn't get Headshot while crouching then.)

I've seen skilled players ridiculously good with this thing. They'd fire a blade at a guy sniping, and 10, 15 seconds later... pow. Clean off. Plus if there's an ability to shoot off limbs (Or at least, hamper movement through them) that'd make the Ripper a pretty strategic weapon.

iron12
5th Apr 2005, 06:49 PM
A real good player can do a bank shot off a wall and decapitate players.

I got pretty good with the back shot off the floor and taking off heads.

Mr.Magnetichead
5th Apr 2005, 06:49 PM
The UC2 ripjack is not a soammy weapon at all.

Dark Pulse
5th Apr 2005, 06:59 PM
The UC2 ripjack is not a soammy weapon at all.
Never said it was. It's mostly the pros crying wolf. Disregard it. :)

carmatic
6th Apr 2005, 07:00 AM
hm imagine, tiny little blades flying through the air, each maybe 1 or 2 seconds apart... how can that be spammy? sorry but ive never really played the old UT beyond the demo before... i've used the razorjack a looong time ago in dm-ariza in the original unreal, and its only really been a problem where you happen to have 2 parallel surfaces facing each other (like on the bridge where the boxes are), but then too the razors just disintergrate very soon....

BooGiTyBoY
6th Apr 2005, 07:16 AM
The problem with the ripper back in the day was new people playing the game would pick it up and just start flinging razors ALL around the room.

Well.. MOST people thought that was a problem... I used to think it was hysterical when some dude talkin' smack cuz he was owning everyone had his head taken off by some new player and the ripz. LMAO!!!

Asides from it's nooby spammishness, the ripper really WAS a great weapon if used with some skill. I've also seen players use the secondary to bounce players and set up a head-shot with the primary. I used to play a lot of ctf in old UT and it was a great defensive weapon and could really be used strategically. Say on a map like Coret, you could actually "steer" the attacking FC's into your hallway of choice just by sending some discs down one of the others. Just an example.

Last thing I wanna say about it is FOR CHRISTS SAKE THE GUN WAS FUN!!!!! Specially with this apparent drive to make the new UT more noob friendly. Anyone can hop in a server, grab that thing, and have a blast wether they are gettin' tooled on or not. :D

edhe
6th Apr 2005, 07:56 AM
The same could be said for all of UT's guns really. Can be spammed, can be exacting weapon from a more skilled player. Flak - spammy primary - great up close single blast kill (and mortars...whee) r0x, spammy sixpack, or 5-10 seconds of prediction whoopass.

Ripper was the same, spam away to get some lucky hits, or use it more precisely for skilled kills - it needs ALOT of tweaking for this day and age obviously, but it can be good again

/me remembers a 3-5 second predicted single blade headshot on an EFC running up the hill on CTF-Face.

Sir_Brizz
6th Apr 2005, 11:03 AM
Prefer Ripper over Minigun :p

SealClubber
6th Apr 2005, 11:14 AM
It needs to be brought back, it was creative, original, and fun.

The_Head
6th Apr 2005, 11:42 AM
Definetely should be brought back. Its a much better weapon than the minigun, which frankly, I'm glad they have got rid of. It required no real skill to hit people with.
I look forward to learning to bounce them off walls for headshots :D

carmatic
6th Apr 2005, 01:22 PM
so , this is one weapon which is both good for enticing noobs to use it with more skill.... and rewarding the people who have learned how to use it with more skill with more kills, then? unlike the hitscan weapons, which is very off-putting to someone who is not used to precise movements of their hands, or the flak cannon which is pure spam, or the overused machine gun ,plasma gun and rocket launcher....

CyMek
6th Apr 2005, 01:47 PM
If youre using the flack cannon as pure spam - youre using it wrong!

Most of the weapons I prefer (That being every non-hitscan weapon) is automatically dismissed as a "spam weapon" by the 1337 people in this game. As a matter of fact, the only non-spam weapons seem to be the LG and the SR these days. (Everyone seems to forget the alt-fire of the shock rifle's spamming poential.) But if youre using the weapons right, and intelligently, you souldnt spam the weapon and hope for a hit. AIM AT THE PERSON and track their movement, and fire at them. IMO, Air-roxing someone isnt spam.

And about the Ripper cutting people's limbs off, I don't tink that is such a good idea. It would royally suck if youre "arm got cut off" and you coudn't fire or hold a gun. There would be no reason to use any other gun. Likewise, you could get someone's leg and then they can't walk, so you take their arms off and they are screwed and left sitting there. That is no fun for torso boy.

Dark Pulse
6th Apr 2005, 03:44 PM
If youre using the flack cannon as pure spam - youre using it wrong!

Most of the weapons I prefer (That being every non-hitscan weapon) is automatically dismissed as a "spam weapon" by the 1337 people in this game. As a matter of fact, the only non-spam weapons seem to be the LG and the SR these days. (Everyone seems to forget the alt-fire of the shock rifle's spamming poential.) But if youre using the weapons right, and intelligently, you souldnt spam the weapon and hope for a hit. AIM AT THE PERSON and track their movement, and fire at them. IMO, Air-roxing someone isnt spam.

And about the Ripper cutting people's limbs off, I don't tink that is such a good idea. It would royally suck if youre "arm got cut off" and you coudn't fire or hold a gun. There would be no reason to use any other gun. Likewise, you could get someone's leg and then they can't walk, so you take their arms off and they are screwed and left sitting there. That is no fun for torso boy.
Open Console.
Type Suicide.
Close Console.
Fight Smarter.

;)

NeoNite
6th Apr 2005, 03:57 PM
Open Console.
Type Suicide.
Close Console.
Fight Smarter.

;)

Bind key to suicide (before you enter the game) respawn and...
Fight smarter

Dark Pulse
6th Apr 2005, 03:59 PM
Too Pro.

NeoNite
6th Apr 2005, 04:05 PM
Too Pro.

No, too mo :p

T2A`
6th Apr 2005, 04:48 PM
...or the flak cannon which is pure spam...I'll admit that there is a high potential for spam, but if you're doing that, you're a nub anyway. I use the flak secondary more than the rocket launcher. Just feels more natural to me. I guess you'd consider it spam when I pooned you in the face with a flak shell, huh? :D

I voted no to the ripper. Don't like it. Maybe if the discs went faster and only bounced once or twice. It's too spammy in its current UT form, and given how slow the discs travel and how many times they bounce, it's more like "spray and pray" than "predict and lead."

But then again, the minigun sucks (insane ROF + seven damager per bullet = almost instant death in too many situations), so it wouldn't bother me too much if they replaced it with the ripper. However, they're replacing that with the tyridium pea-shooter from Unreal, so...

NeoNite
6th Apr 2005, 04:55 PM
So tell me, which one is worse:

UT2K4 minigun
UT minigun

Dark Pulse
6th Apr 2005, 05:13 PM
So tell me, which one is worse:

UT2K4 minigun
UT minigun
In terms of Balance, UT's was worse. You could MOW people with that thing, fast, and insanely quick if you have UDamage.

2k4's is a bit more balanced; Slower ROF, Less Damage, but to compensate, has 100 more bullets. It's definitely the more balanced of the two though.

NeoNite
6th Apr 2005, 05:23 PM
So why is turn2ashes complaining about the ut2004 minigun?

It could be worse, right ;-) ?

BooGiTyBoY
6th Apr 2005, 05:43 PM
You are asking which is the lesser of two evils.
He is saying both are evil.

I agree. :)

Yeah.. it could be worse... it could be the tyridium stinger gun from Unreal...

oh wait...

damn. :(

T2A`
6th Apr 2005, 05:44 PM
BECAUSE I'M PRO AND THE MINIGUN IS TEH NUB!!!11

I actually don't like the concept of a minigun at all. At least the UT minigun was fairly inaccurate, which really isn't the case too much with UT2004's.

The problem with it is that it's hard to defend against. It's easy to use, so it should be easy to counter, which really isn't the case in most situations in UT2004. At the range the current minigun is still deadly (medium to long), rockets, flak, link, goo, and almost everything else are easy to dodge. The only real counter is hitscan, and if you suck at that, you're toast.

edhe
7th Apr 2005, 04:52 AM
IMHO hitscan spam should be removed from FPS atm, the pings have dropped so low now that it's not viable to balance something like that out.

Having it change to, basically, a nail gun would lessen it's effectiveness at long range and make it tricker at medium, but still lethal at close :tup:

NeoNite
7th Apr 2005, 05:34 AM
BECAUSE I'M PRO AND THE MINIGUN IS TEH NUB!!!11

I actually don't like the concept of a minigun at all. At least the UT minigun was fairly inaccurate, which really isn't the case too much with UT2004's.

The problem with it is that it's hard to defend against. It's easy to use, so it should be easy to counter, which really isn't the case in most situations in UT2004. At the range the current minigun is still deadly (medium to long), rockets, flak, link, goo, and almost everything else are easy to dodge. The only real counter is hitscan, and if you suck at that, you're toast.

The UT minigun fairly inaccurate?
That thing is a monster!

If you have a steady hand, and you get the minigun well...
like DP said, opponents drop by the dozen.
(ok, there's also the ping thing)

Fairly inaccurate? Very deadly, yes.

Then again, I've hardly used the ut2004 minigun. Only played the demo, so I'm teh knubzors ^_^ Can't compare.

carmatic
7th Apr 2005, 06:03 AM
like , in ut99, you load up ctf face or something, and find a minigun somewhere, and go to the place with the sniper rifle, and start shooting the minigun instead of the sniper rifle, and you'd get more kills than if you had the sniper rifle... like its so accurate that you can snipe with it or something

-AEnubis-
7th Apr 2005, 06:14 AM
I don't think the prime fire on the UT mini had a cone. It did less DPS then the alt fire, but more DPA (much like the 2k4 mini), and with perfect accuracy, yeah, if you could see your target well enough, use that and not the SR. It was prolly the most lethal fire in the game.

The new mini's more accurate fire mode has a small cone, making it slightly less effective at mid-long ranges, as well as lessend damage, RoF, and if you consdier that everyone spawn with an SG UT2kx Mini is not that bad.

UT mini = Wrath of God

Anything is better then that thing, or worse, depending on how you look at it.

Stinger = Non-hit-scan = Gets my Vote

Dark Pulse
7th Apr 2005, 08:33 AM
like , in ut99, you load up ctf face or something, and find a minigun somewhere, and go to the place with the sniper rifle, and start shooting the minigun instead of the sniper rifle, and you'd get more kills than if you had the sniper rifle... like its so accurate that you can snipe with it or something
Just one problem: No Minis in Face.

If you were standing behind the central teleporter in a base, The Rocket Launcher is to your left, Shock Rifle up and to your right a bit, Sniper Rifles are in the tower directly ahead (Top) as well as the teleporter to your right (Middle) and the teleporter up and to your right has a Redeemer if Superweapons are on. Outside of the base is another Sniper Rifle on the left and a Ripper on the right.

Please, don't add weapons that aren't there. ;)

Besides, any player worth his salt will make people fly much faster with those Sniper Rifles then with a Minigun, any day. I know I would.

edhe
7th Apr 2005, 08:40 AM
There was a GitzZz demo vs some russian dude. he 'wicked sick'd him on deck-16, getting minigun kills within seconds at any range. The UT mini was nasty.

The_Head
7th Apr 2005, 09:38 AM

Yeh I suppose so. Just make it look better than UT99 where the blade disapeared. How about running around with a blade stuck in your leg. Or in your ass :p :ripper:
Chaos UT does this with arrows and it looks cool

el Gato
7th Apr 2005, 01:35 PM
About the ripper: It was spammy, but that's easy to fix, just dial down the launch speed, # of bounces, etc.

I'd like to see it back. I loved flagrunning on Coret with it.

Go&nd
7th Apr 2005, 02:47 PM
Last thing I wanna say about it is FOR CHRISTS SAKE THE GUN WAS FUN!!!!! Specially with this apparent drive to make the new UT more noob friendly. Anyone can hop in a server, grab that thing, and have a blast wether they are gettin' tooled on or not.
I think this is key. Regardless of the weapon's skill requirement, it was truly distinct and just plain FUN -- especially with people new to the game. Whenever I introduced UT to someone new, he would often gravitate to the Ripper and get a good chuckle out of it.

I agree that it could be a bit spammy at times. But I think they could tone down the spam just by slightly reducing the rate-of-fire and the number of reflected surfaces.

And whoever said that UT's mini was inaccurate... :eek: Give an experienced player a low ping and low mouse sensitivity and that thing could become the most powerful weapon in the game. :minigun:

The_Head
7th Apr 2005, 02:55 PM
DOnt nerf the ripper. was fun. make the blades faster though. was really hard to hit much with them at times.

CyMek
7th Apr 2005, 04:58 PM
To backtrack to the mini discussion, the UT mini did 15 damage per bullet, where the 2k4 does only 7.

And don't forget lockdown!!

iron12
7th Apr 2005, 05:08 PM
Blades wizzing by your head made me duck. :eek:

When I would show people the original UT99 and say hey check this out.

Bounce a blade off a wall and take someone head every time the response would be OMG do that again.

Why oh why did they take it out. :shake:

edhe
8th Apr 2005, 03:49 AM
Lockdown for the mini was 2k3 only?

-AEnubis-
8th Apr 2005, 04:01 AM
No, he was reminding us it was a feature of the UT mini, as well as the hightened damage, further expressing how toned down it has become in 2k4, and yet, with average pings getting lower, and lower, it's still remains one of the most controvertial weapons in the game.

el Gato
8th Apr 2005, 06:19 AM
Ripper: My best suicide weapon ever!

And I still want it back! :)

The_Head
8th Apr 2005, 04:39 PM
Yeh. Nothing beats trying to take someones head of with it only for them to duck it and the blade then slice your head off. ok maybe something beats that, hitting them in the first place :p

NeoNite
8th Apr 2005, 05:33 PM
Ripper should be modified that it's like a jojo.
The range the blade has could be say... 10 meters?

:D Imagine that.
The Jojo Ripper...
that would suck.
:O)

To prevent spam though, you should be able to fire only every 1 1/2 / 2 seconds...

2 would prolly make it too slow.

Maybe make a skaarj ride the blade, and steer it :D

"player1 was decapitated by omglolz razorskaarj's 1337blade"

Something like that...

=D

innociv
8th Apr 2005, 08:17 PM
I miss the UT shock rifle, that thing rocked. Shock combo wit hthe ut200x one is worthless.

Problem with the old was the camping cornersand stuff while there where skille dlike me that would do with while moving around and dodging to kick ass.
But it always seemed lame when someone just stood there and did the combo.

SealClubber
9th Apr 2005, 12:09 AM
Those fun "spammy" weapons are what made Ut popular! :D

I hope quake 4 is a hit with the competitive weapons community, so they dont have to come back to this franchise! :p ;)

Aegeri
9th Apr 2005, 03:09 AM
I don't feel the game is going to benefit by adding more weapons that can be randomly spammed around, we have enough of them already.

The_Head
9th Apr 2005, 10:54 AM
Keep it as it was Epic

please......

iron12
10th Apr 2005, 07:10 AM
Those fun "spammy" weapons are what made Ut popular! :D

I hope quake 4 is a hit with the competitive weapons community, so they dont have to come back to this franchise! :p ;)

I agree.

Spam was kind of fun. Lobbing rockets down elevator shafts. Ripper blades bouncing everywhere. It was so unpredictable and fun. It was just stupid, crazy fun that I miss.

Now its concentrating on more of the serious competition aspect of the game and I kind of lost interest in the game a little bit.

I just want to log on once in a while and see some crazy, funny stuff and have fun. Im not really so concerned with my rankings and stuff like that.

I think Epic is trying to bring some of that back. I hope so. :)

Persefone
25th Jul 2005, 06:22 AM
I voted yes, I want the Ripper back, or the Ripjack, or anything else shooting blades.

SirYawnalot
25th Jul 2005, 07:33 AM
From a gameplay perspective I'd say the Ripper is obsolete, the Link/Pulse does the primary just as well but with higher ROF and proj speed (and less satisfying obviously, but I'll get to that) and there are plenty of superior splash-damage weapons to Ripper secondary. Not to mention that it could turn out to be a programming nightmare vs terrainmaps.

On the other hand, the fun-factor has been somewhat lacking from the franchise lately, and the Ripper could prove to be the ideal way of drawing a fresh crowd to UT2007.

Plumb_Drumb
25th Jul 2005, 07:57 AM
I want it back; at least as an official mutator out of the box.

That weapon just screams UT franchise.

It works well in UC2... not all spammy, and not easy to kill with, but it's fun as hell to use.
________
How to roll a blunt (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

edhe
25th Jul 2005, 08:10 AM
On the other hand, the fun-factor has been somewhat lacking from the franchise lately, and the Ripper could prove to be the ideal way of drawing a fresh crowd to UT2007.

Swerto
3rd Aug 2005, 12:10 PM
Unreal - Razor Jack

CUT2:evolution C.U.T.T.E.R

UT2k4: RIpjack (someone modded it),Ripper(once again modded)

UT][tc: Razorjack

UTribes2k4: Spinfuser (I know not neccisarrily a ripper but it shoots discs right?)

TigerRaptorFX
4th Aug 2005, 12:58 AM
Ripper: My best suicide weapon ever!

And I still want it back! :)

You know that reminds me of something. Has any one ever mange to kill them self with the ripper just by accidentally shooting off their own head. :lol:

edhe
4th Aug 2005, 03:57 AM
You that reminds me of something. Has any one ever mange to NOT kill them self with the ripper just by accidentally shooting off their own head. :lol:

Edited for correctness ;)

Al
4th Aug 2005, 08:23 AM
I personally loved all the UT99 weapons.

TigerRaptorFX
4th Aug 2005, 01:02 PM
Left out a word. :O

-AEnubis-
4th Aug 2005, 01:17 PM
's ok, you left out some serious conjugation ;)

(I assume english was not your first language, so this is not a bash)

TigerRaptorFX
4th Aug 2005, 05:53 PM
So I made an error move on.

NeoNite
5th Aug 2005, 12:24 PM
I personally loved all the UT weapons.

Sure made a difference for me, compared to Unreal's arsenal. Not that the unreal weapons suck, far from it. But most UT weapons are better, imho.

A couple of exceptions. I prefer unreal's eightball secondary fire. The way the grenades are lobbed and bounce around. Better, imho, than ut's eightball firing mode.

Unreal's eightball primary firing mode isn't all that compared to its UT counterpart, though :-(

And the Unreal razorjacks' secondary fire. 1337. Although UT's ripper secondary firing mode really isn't that bad! ;-)

Swerto
5th Aug 2005, 12:37 PM
so im gonna guess u went in unreal and tried sterrring it in the air...lol

edhe
8th Aug 2005, 03:55 AM
/me really liked using the 'nades on the UT RL.

Could be quite fun with a re-tweak.

Vault
10th Aug 2005, 08:14 PM
i think that if you shoot two blades straight, and the first bounces of the wall and hits the other blade, there should be an explosion of shranel, kinda like a shock combo.. only with bouncy shrapnel, and of course this would happen every time two rip blades hit each other...... would do you guys think?

Swerto
11th Aug 2005, 07:28 AM
ummm kool.... just the way to stop blades like that si tupid

Zarkazm
14th Aug 2005, 08:16 AM
What I'd like to see is a variant of the RazorJack Altfire where you control the disc like the Redeemer.

Another idea would be to have only a single disc, like the Predator in AvP, with a recall function like the Translocator.
It would also be possible to make it so the disc gets stuck in surfaces which it hits close to the normal vector, and by pressing fire then you pull it towards you. That could make for an interesting trap.

PS: Since it's come up, while most UT weapons are pretty cool, I really preferred the Unreal Eightball and Minigun.

Kabs-BUB
20th Oct 2005, 01:33 AM
I like the ripper, but it shouldn't be too accurate, shouldn't it??
neckshots, not headshots:D:ripper:

teaspooned
28th Oct 2005, 05:52 AM
I don't really like the ripper, because of its "primitive" looks. It doesnt look futuristic enough; it looks too old fashioned and "medieval". If theyre gonna add the ripper, they should at least make it more futuristic - such as adding lights to the weapons and polishing it, and making the discs look cooler.

Vault
28th Oct 2005, 07:29 AM
and add a falshlight on each blade???? plus, that way, if the games turn outs to be too dark, we can all pull out a ripper to light our way!!!

*sigh*

The_Head
28th Oct 2005, 09:59 AM
Thats a cool idea actually....

I still love the looks of the old ripper though. :)

NeoNite
28th Oct 2005, 10:24 AM
If you'd attach a light to the blade, then you'd end up having disco lighthing I guess...

Might sounds appealing to some of you....

Kabs-BUB
30th Oct 2005, 11:06 AM
laser discs??
also, who ever thought of making the discs explode?:lol:

Persefone
30th Oct 2005, 11:33 AM
also, who ever thought of making the discs explode?:lol:

I was, whats going on?

NeoNite
30th Oct 2005, 12:23 PM
Discs explode? You kidding me? Been done before, in the first UT game!

Edit: reread it, I read too fast sometimes :-p But I guess there aren't that many people here who've played UT...
Guess so..

But why not. what's wrong with the discs exploding.. I really like that.

:D That way you can juggle your opponent through corridors etc..

Or what about the razorjack's secondary fire? You could control the trajectory of the projectile.
Wasn't a bad decision either.

Wowbagger
30th Oct 2005, 12:27 PM
hmm would be cool.
Im torn between the discs bouncing like the original or getting stuck like their bigger brothers in HF2 :)

Kabs-BUB
2nd Nov 2005, 01:08 AM
why shouldn't the discs explode into fragments like the flak cannon like...the same discs can't really be made so that they can either explode or not...

Vault
2nd Nov 2005, 06:06 AM
they should go through thin walls....bouce off most walls, and get stuck in dirt/ soft surfaces....and they should only go so far in water...then float/sink/drift in the water body, and when somebody comes by, they can be picked up for ammo....actually, how bout this? whenever the discs stop boucing and are laying in the floor/stuck in a person, they become available for ammo pickup?

The_Head
2nd Nov 2005, 09:33 AM
left click, bounces.
right click, gets stuck
both firemodes together, explosive

thats my opinion. would be cool ;)

ThirtySixBelow
2nd Nov 2005, 10:10 AM
left click, bounces.
right click, gets stuck
both firemodes together, explosive

thats my opinion. would be cool ;)

left click bounce would be a thin knife surface all the way around with razor extensions retracted which allows it to ricochet. The right click extracts the razor extensions on the way out of the gun which do more damage because of the edges but also as a result is what causes it to stick to the wall it hits, but the extra damage makes up for the "less chances to hit" factor. And the tertiary mode of explosion fires the explosive disks from a different compartment, like the nades for the assualt rifle but have a slow fire rate due to their more devistating power.

I think that would be logical if those were the modes they chose, but I don't think epic is actually going to listen or care what anyone says. If they publicly announce that they got a game idea from a random thread in a random forum, then I will continue to post my ideas, otherwise this is all just a waste of everyones time, wishing and conversing over things that will never happen.

Mina_Hew
2nd Nov 2005, 02:19 PM
I think it was gotten rid of in the first place so all the shock whores could just have their way with anyone who preferred anything else

in previous unreal games you didnt get much shock camping because you could just fill a hiding place with ripper blades UT99 was a good game... the ripper wasnt exactly my favorite weapon as a matter of fact I really thought it sucked but it sure could level the playing field... I liked the razorjack much much better... however... its nice to see mods bringing some of the classics back... what isnt nice though is in UT99 I never managed to get a one hit kill with the ripper alternate without it being a headshot... in UT2004 ive loaded several ripper mods and each one is way overpowered... ive managed one hit kills without hitting my target in the head with each version... it sucks =(

oh well at least stinger is making a comeback... maybe a few of the other good weapons might be brought back too... maybe in a MUT or special feature?

Kabs-BUB
2nd Nov 2005, 11:39 PM
why can't they just fly off in different directions if the blade is deflected with a ...shock combo??
or maybe shattered?

P1nGRAp3|>
27th Nov 2005, 06:16 PM
would ripper blades be better as a second function and not a seperate weapon? like ripper for second function on assault rifles instead of grenades?

Rk.
28th Nov 2005, 11:59 AM
I somehow managed to vote no, when I meant yes. So uh, count one of the no's as a yes.

innociv
20th Dec 2005, 07:15 AM
I love the UT ripper, though it's more spam than skill 75% of the time.
I love how you could head shot with it.

God I lvoe everything about UT.. I got tired of ut2k3 nad ut2k4 and started playing UT again. IT';s just soooo much more fun.
And Mina_hew, the sshock rifle was made alot weaker in UT2k3/4(most things where.. all but bio rifle and flak in fact i think)

K.N.I.F.E
20th Dec 2005, 07:17 AM
For me, I would rather have a gun that shoots a homing translocator so it only could tele frag!

Argosax
23rd Dec 2005, 04:14 AM
the ripper was a great weapon, pretty fun to use in corridors :lol:

Rk.
23rd Dec 2005, 08:08 AM
I kind of preferred The Flak Cannon in corridors. But that may be because I sucked with the Ripper.

-AEnubis-
23rd Dec 2005, 02:34 PM
Alt Juggleing > *.

innociv
23rd Dec 2005, 04:26 PM
Theyr eally need to bring back the ripper..
With out it only sniper gets headshots :(

headshot with ripper is just so much freaking fun.

briach
27th Mar 2006, 04:12 AM
I don't think the ripper would be as good as before, because of the higher detail surfaces. Sure it was fun in ut99, where the walls were flat, and it was fun knowing exactly where the ripper prim was going, but in ut2k7 with complex mesh surfaces a many, I don't think the ripper would add anything valuable.

Plumb_Drumb
27th Mar 2006, 04:29 AM
I think collision surfaces could easily be created to support use of the ripper... and therefore wall dodge moves.
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

gregori
27th Mar 2006, 06:08 AM
Fun weapons like the Ripper were what was really missing from 2kx,
If they Don't bring back the Ripper at least add a new weapon to the roster,
maybe a Necris weapon

Complex meshes made it very hard to make a good ripper in 2kx,
Hopefully, Epic will put alot of the detail in maps into normal maps/Displacement maps, keepin the structure of the mps simplified, so irritating meshes dont get in your way

I'd be happy to see a weapon that combined the Ripper with a chainsaw!

-AEnubis-
27th Mar 2006, 06:17 AM
Yeah, and I've seen enough variations of it modded to know it could be well balanced if they set their minds too it. Slower ROF, limit bounces, etc...

Maybe speed it up a bit... just so I can have my alt juggles back.

Kang the Mad
27th Mar 2006, 06:47 AM
:Pulse: Most definitely. Ripper = 2nd best weapon ever (1st being the UT99 Pulse Gun :Pulse:

Argosax
27th Mar 2006, 07:18 AM
what i really miss are the enforcers... AR are just crap

Slainchild
27th Mar 2006, 08:06 AM
I didn't read the whole thread so someone may have said this before, but my idea would be that if they are bringing back the Stinger, it should have a secondary fire similar to the Rippers primary...

sinikk
4th Apr 2006, 03:39 AM
I want the ripper back.

If a n00b accidently headshots a really good player that the n00b feels like they have a chance, and the good player knows that it was accindental, because n00bs genrally don't plan to boune a ripper blade off three walls and a lift (while it's moving!) and headshot the bet player on the sever.

This helps the n00bs to learn and encrages them to stick with the game and not quiot because they keep getting owned.
Also, it give the experianced players something to complain about, and helps define the community.

Argosax
4th Apr 2006, 04:47 PM
God bless the lucky headshot.

Kantham
4th Apr 2006, 05:16 PM
I don't want to see it in UT2007 because this weapon is the worse ever.

I can't justify perfecly if it is because i don't use it that well, but i never found it very useful. And since the primary function only fire a wall bounding frezbee of death and cut head Very randomly people's head, players only used the Secondary function the same way that we use rockets. Very boring weapon imo, and it should die.

-AEnubis-
5th Apr 2006, 09:49 AM
WHATEVER YOU DO, don't try to justify something returning to give noobs a chance. It simply: Won't work.

Swerto
10th Apr 2006, 09:10 AM
wohoo this is still alive... god i wondered if this one would still be going

bring the ripper back woot!

gregori
10th Apr 2006, 09:48 AM
Very boring weapon imo, and it should die.
:lol:

Ripper is probably the most interesting weapon in UT ever!!
Its by far the most sci fi weapon, the most visually interesting one and sums up the general fun element of UT99, thats horribly missing in UT2kx

If they don't bring it back in some form or the other, they should replace it with some new weapon that very original and science fictiony because the current weapon line out for UT2k7 is very boring! I'm thinking some type of necris weapon.

The_Head
10th Apr 2006, 09:49 AM
Played on a server the other day that had the Ripper from UTR on it, that brought back some memories. Its a great weapon for fun, and its well balanced, most people are as likely to kill themselves with it than anyone else.
Bring it back.

gregori
10th Apr 2006, 10:39 AM
At least the Ripper was only useful at close to medium range, emphasising the more in your face combat thats missing in UT2kx. Thats a perfect reason to bring it back!

UnrealGrrl
10th Apr 2006, 03:48 PM
...as for the ripper, it was fun on some maps like ctf-deathfan but i never used it alot.

my vote is that they bring back the REAL G00 gun and not the canister weapon... 'nuff said! ;)

T2A`
10th Apr 2006, 04:05 PM
At least the Ripper was only useful at close to medium range, emphasising the more in your face combat thats missing in UT2kx. Thats a perfect reason to bring it back!Same can be said for rockets and flak and that didn't help. The problem is the maps and player scale, not the weapons. I don't want to see the ripper return. It was pretty God-awful.

gregori
10th Apr 2006, 04:22 PM
God Awful in which respect? :con:

:ripper:

Vault
10th Apr 2006, 06:57 PM
Ripper is the best. Bring it back!!!!!

f.sardis
10th Apr 2006, 07:53 PM
and add a falshlight on each blade???? plus, that way, if the games turn outs to be too dark, we can all pull out a ripper to light our way!!!

*sigh*

another major aspect of the original unreal atmosphere. The game is now overbright and cartoonish. the gore has been limited and has become undetailed. the blood looks like strawbery juice and the gibs lack detail.
i want the original dark atmosphere and the ripper.

briach
10th Apr 2006, 08:24 PM
I personally don't think seeing one bare tit on a chunk of flesh surrounded ina blood pool emitted from a freshly fragged bondage house dressed women characters to be of much value in today's game market.

I don't want to be playing with a bunch of sicko kids bent on gore and seeing woman's tits.

About the game being more dark, i think the real problem is the soft lighting in ut2k4. In ut99 things used to contrast more and be more sharp, while in ut2k4 things are too soft.

I think "details" of such gore were ok for a game not capable of much detail. But would I want to see the sparkle and gloom shining off someone's wet gut after each frag? Not really. They are capable of making gore an anatomy lesson with the next engine, and I really don't think over detailed gore is going to make for a bigger playerbase.

f.sardis
10th Apr 2006, 08:48 PM
sorry but when i play unreal i want to see chunks of meat stuck on the ceiling and dark red blood as it should be. i dont want some stupid looking bones with some meat on them and i certainly dont want bright red blood. part of unreal's reputation was the extremely realistic blood effects on walls though not in mid air. this has to come back or they might as well do green or blue blood and allow kids to play.
UT is a game for adults and as such there should be no holds barred. kids can go play with sponge bob.

Lee_Shagwell
10th Apr 2006, 10:17 PM
hell yes, providing it can be used for headshots!

-AEnubis-
10th Apr 2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah, it still makes me laugh aloud when i hit someone who is low with a direct rocket, and see flaming gibs fly everywhere.

Sijik
11th Apr 2006, 12:57 AM
i certainly dont want bright red blood. part of unreal's reputation was the extremely realistic blood effects
UT is a game for adults and as such there should be no holds barred. kids can go play with sponge bob.
Actually, freshly spilt blood IS bright red. Movies and games have led us to believe otherwise, but it's actually quite red right out of the body.
Aaand let's see, Unreal's reputation of blood and gore...
There were no blood decals at all in U1, and the blood that was spattered around (especially in Vortex) was bright red. Also, gibs are brigt red, and the blood sprays upon wounding are also very bright red (or such a color of green as could only be produced by chlorophyll)
UT99, I suppose, is sort-of the exception in that it's the only one that actually gave a lot of blood when you gibbed someone, but, at the same time, there were only, really, two sets of gibs, human torsos and random robot bits. When you gib Warboss he suddenly turns into Xan Mk.1, and when you gib a fully-armoed human, suddenly he/she is naked upon gibbing; skin-tone is ignored as well, Necris suddenly blush all-over as they die... Also, the spraying blood is bright.
Unreal2 had pretty bright blood at least environmentally (around already dead bodies) Some of the blood decals were darker, especially for the Skaarj, but the spraying blood was bright. It also had bright blue blood on the Izarians.
2K3/4 also have bright blood, but I suppose that's where your gripe joins the party...
UC2 hardly has any blood at all, and what it does have is bright (save the black blood from the Robots/Necris, of course)
So if you're saying that dark blood is realistic, and the Unreal series has a reputation of "realistic" blood, then I find that a hard claim to accept.
Gore has never seemed like a central feature of Unreal. It's there because you need to know you hit someone, and it's more fun to see someone splatter when you paste 'em with rockets than to see them just fly back a-la Halo, but it's never really seemed like a central focus.
Then there's Q4, now there's a game with gore as a focus (recalls Waste Management level and shudders) Or Silent Hill, heck, even the Doom series has more focus on blood and gore than Unreal, and, at least in Doom3, they do it wrong too by making it so dark. Doom1/2, now there're games that focus on blood and gore... Unreal has it more as a side-effect.

nuttella
11th Apr 2006, 02:32 AM
Are you kidding? The anatomically correct giblets were a major feature of Unreal and UT. It's true that Unreal didn't have decals, but it was meant to, they just never got around to fixing it. You could get blood all over the place in UT. It may not have been very realistic, but it was very bloody.

Deadmeat
11th Apr 2006, 03:49 AM
You could get blood all over the place in UT. It may not have been very realistic, but it was very bloody.

Especially if you had a lovely little mutator called decal stay. After 5 minutes of intense fighting the arenas looked like an abattoir.

Actually, freshly spilt blood IS bright red

Technically blood is only bright red if it's being pumped from the heart to the organs or if it's returning to the heart from the lungs.

Sorry, this is all completely off topic

The_Head
11th Apr 2006, 03:52 AM
Especially if you had a lovely little mutator called decal stay. After 5 minutes of intense fighting the arenas looked like an abattoir.
Don't forget the MoreGore Mutator either, they go well together :)

I once made my own ripper that shot about 20 blades per second, that was nice and messy, if a bit unbalanced. :P

f.sardis
11th Apr 2006, 04:34 AM
blood colour depends where it comes from. as suggested above, blood from heart and lungs is very bright red indeed, blood inside veins is dark red, blood in your stomach and liver is dark brown. now, what happens when we mix a bright colour with a dark colour? and dont forget, the amount of blood leaving your heart is minimal compared to the amount of blood in the rest of the body. so when someone gets shot there should be dark red dripping and not bright red.
see it another way, last time you cut your finger was it bright red or dark red?
mine is always dark red, almost black.

Deadmeat
11th Apr 2006, 04:48 AM
last time you cut your finger was it bright red or dark red?
mine is always dark red, almost black.

You might want to have a doctor take a look at that:lol:

Seriously though, don't get me started on biology.............

gregori
11th Apr 2006, 04:48 AM
About the game being more dark, i think the real problem is the soft lighting in ut2k4. In ut99 things used to contrast more and be more sharp, while in ut2k4 things are too soft.

:lol:

Thats exactly the problem with visuals, the lighting in bland, washed out and uncontrasting, none of the geometry looks solid, that definetly needs to be adressed.

Now that they have HDR lighting i'd be worried they'll do the same thing that was done with Half Life 2! HL2 used the glare effect nearly everywhere till you felt dizzy, UC2 infact looked too blurry and glarey too. Ughh! I miss the clear real look of UT.

The gore in UC2 was horribly none existant, you turned into a bunch of enegy when u died fair enough, just don't have this UT2k7, I like the nice gritty look of the gore in UT99, that isn't too over top but you can feel your opponents pain in anyway!

Ragdoll need too be far more realistic! They should also improve on the wonderful deathscenes of UT2k4 like the linkdeath skeleton thing, but have different deathscenes for all weapons and situations ie. lava set you on fire, plasma vapourises you, fire burns you black into cinders, Biosludge dissolves into a pile of steaming bones and guts, lightning gun victims still have momentary spasms after death, a bit of dismemberment, being depressurised, proper blood decals.

Character that fall down inescapable pits,abysses and so on should scream audibly into the distance as they fall. When they hit the ground instead of turning into gibs (stupid and unrealistic)
or dancing about as a ragdoll(Stupid and a little more realistic), the landing should bring there bodies to a sudden, painful stop and all there bones breaking should be make and audible crack!!

Tomb raider games were always great at falling deaths because they felt realistic, and the bone breaking sounded so painful!

The player should have the option of wether death are 1st person or 3rd person!

f.sardis
11th Apr 2006, 06:15 AM
oh yea, thanks gregory for mentioning rag dolls.

they cannot be gibbed... wtf. its a corpse, its a body, it should break into pices if i shoot it with a rocket but somehow ragdolls are immune to all damage. where is the fun in that?
again, another sign that they made the game kid friendly. same reason the ripper was removed. have you noticed how most weapons are now the laser gun variety? and those that are not the laser gun variety dont have the umph. take sniper rifle for instance and the minigun. no big deal, the will never chop limbs. they inflict gentle damage. the ripper was just brutal damage.
if the want to make ut for kids then they should make a ut disney 2006. but the game i play, i want it to be a proper massacre as it is supposed to be.

gregori
11th Apr 2006, 06:21 AM
Dats pretty true, they have made their latest games very kid friendly in terms of gore, why dont they just put a parent lock on to turn of gore, and leave in the ultra gore for us older sickos! The gore in UC2 was mostlyy non existent, it probably got its 15+ rating in ireland because Epic used F word in the final FMV!!
Better gore like that in UT99 would make the weapons feel less like toys, esp the lasery sci fi weapons, Ripper has that hardcore violent weapon feel to it!

Sijik
12th Apr 2006, 04:14 AM
<rant> Wow, it's starting to sound like Planet Halo around here in places, sheesh. I still regularly splat people or at least remove limbs witht he shock and lightning gun primaries, and I don't recallt he minigun or the link aly splattering people unless you stood there like a target and just kept firing for a while.
Ragdolls were a brand new thing for the 2k3/4 generation, and was just as much fun to see how they'd interact with the environment and all that. In 2k4 I still get plenty of splatter. It sounds like you're exagegrating things a bit much here and it's not necessary.
If there's one thing I'd say is a focus of the Unreal series, it'd be change, being different from what's come before, different from what's expected. That's what made the first two great, beyond all else, and now people seem to think that the only way to reclaim the greatness of something born from change is to keep it exactly the same... All that will do is kill it. Adapt and move on, or just keep playing the original if that's what you actually want. </rant>

f.sardis
12th Apr 2006, 08:36 AM
sijik, thats a nice rant. i will agree with you if you go and play a match in, lets say, facing worlds with 11 bots in 99 and then do the same match in 2004. after you play come here and tell me which one has more blood and gore and which one give you the feel of massacre and violence.
again, the hard evidence shows that gibs are rare in 2004 while they were common in 99. the blood is so fake in 2004 while in 99 it was so real (although the older graphics engine made it look fake).
back then, it didnt look real cause they didint have the graphics power. now it doesnt look real cause they have made it look fake. end of story.

for sure a game has to move on and not stay the same. look at doom 3 for example. they said its boring and the gameplay is old. the reason for this is that its basically the first doom with better graphics. nothing changed. but look at quake 4. the gameplay is the same everything is as it used to be but people didnt complain for it. thats because it was a brand new game.
you want the game to move on? make new maps, throw in a couple of balanced new weapons, maybe add vehicles for certain maps, but dont build the gameplay again from the ground up.
someone mentioned that its part of the same franchise and thus it should be called unreal. thats not true, just because you got some weapons from the old game and some characters and maps doesnt make it unreal. its the gameplay that defines a game. i think 2004 shouldnt be called unreal tournament 2004. maybe unreal world 2004 or something would be more proper. at least it wouldnt confuse the old timers and people would know what they are getting. saying ut2k4 should be called as it is now is the same as saying that the doom movie should be called doom cause it features some weapons and some characters from the game. the story in the movie is not even close to the game though. most people called it resident evil in space.

UnrealGrrl
12th Apr 2006, 10:09 AM
I personally don't think seeing one bare tit on a chunk of flesh surrounded ina blood pool emitted from a freshly fragged bondage house dressed women characters to be of much value in today's game market.

I don't want to be playing with a bunch of sicko kids bent on gore and seeing woman's tits.

hmm you might wanna check the friends youre playin with then... just about every fps'er ive ever met or ever been stalked by has been exactly that type ;)

N1ghtmare
12th Apr 2006, 10:32 AM
oh yea, thanks gregory for mentioning rag dolls.

they cannot be gibbed... wtf. its a corpse, its a body, it should break into pices if i shoot it with a rocket but somehow ragdolls are immune to all damage. where is the fun in that?
again, another sign that they made the game kid friendly. same reason the ripper was removed. have you noticed how most weapons are now the laser gun variety? and those that are not the laser gun variety dont have the umph. take sniper rifle for instance and the minigun. no big deal, the will never chop limbs. they inflict gentle damage. the ripper was just brutal damage.
if the want to make ut for kids then they should make a ut disney 2006. but the game i play, i want it to be a proper massacre as it is supposed to be.

Kid friendly? Yea... right... You think they wanted the blood to be kid friendly? They did what they could with the blood, and I think the way they did it was fine.

If their focus was to be kid friendly they would have turned off all blood (Like BF2 and Halo) so it would get a 'T' rating instead of a 'M' rating, and would have not programmed that setting handy switch in the settings menu that turns off blood and gore. If you think that adding that setting was being more kid friendly, its not. It was also in UT99

f.sardis
12th Apr 2006, 11:01 AM
unreal is not bf2 or halo. the gore option should be there. i agree with that. i am saying that the full gore option should be full gore indeed and not cartoon gore.
i think 2004 failed dreadfully in representing gibs and gore even though the hardware potential was there.

gregori
12th Apr 2006, 11:20 AM
Gore definetly need to go back too the gritty realistic feel UT had. Everything in UC2 and UT2004 feels just too cartoonish, it just doesn't have that hardcore feeling UT had that was the perfect balance to the Sci Fi /out of this world element of the game!

Dismemberment should be brought in, for every part of the body not just headshots. Ragdolls should be have dismemberment!

f.sardis
12th Apr 2006, 11:26 AM
this isnt the thread for this, well it is a bit since the ripper would have amazing effect over what i am going to say.

i remember an interview some time ago, i cant remember if it was tim sweaney, but in any case, they mentioned that there will be different hit point system or something for every part of the body. it would have the effect of losing an arm or a leg and thus moving slower or other various effects. now imagine the ripper chopping off a leg and seeing the guy crawl on the floor. i dont think it will be part of 2007 but the engine supports it fully. in 2007 it would probably ruin the gameplay since one hit could mean that you would be crawling on the floor which is certain death anyway. maybe some game modes would be cool to feature this. especially if there was an assault type mode with limited respawn times or with respawn timer in which case even with one leg you would still want to move rather than suicide.

gregori
12th Apr 2006, 11:53 AM
That wouldn't bode well for UT gameplay, dismemberment would be better as just a visual effect! However, since its possible on the engine, it would work well in Deus Ex style mod, or an XMP/tactical shooter mod of unreal!

f.sardis
12th Apr 2006, 11:58 AM
yep. the features are there. the gameplay can be improved without changing it drastically. an assault mode with the feel of a tactical shooter will be an interesting twist. of course you dont turn the entire game into a tactical shooter. just one specific game mode. thats how you keep them all happy and you see what works best. you can even have it as mutator for more flexibility.
there are lots of things you can to to improve gameplay and not divide the community.

gregori
12th Apr 2006, 12:28 PM
A little off topic, but the genre of sci fi tactical shooter hasn't really been exploited yet, Something halfway between Unreal and Red Orchestra would make an interesting mod.

f.sardis
12th Apr 2006, 07:45 PM
its all in the mutators mate. if they get those right, then the gameplay can be tweaked easily. assault is a sci fi tactical shooter but it doesnt follow the same rules as other tactical fps games. they can make such a an assault type with all the same rules that apply to other famous tactical fps games. it would serve them well as an experiment to see how many people will like that gametype. who knows it might even attract tactica fps gamers that dont like ut until now.
i totaly agree that dismemberment doesnt fit in classic ut gameplay but maybe in that game mode, or maybe even as a mutator for that game mode. i would be very interested to play it.

Argosax
13th Apr 2006, 05:10 AM
yea, but i prefer cartoonish gore, than lots of lag.

gregori
13th Apr 2006, 10:22 AM
no you dont!

Vault
13th Apr 2006, 09:30 PM
A little off topic, but the genre of sci fi tactical shooter hasn't really been exploited yet, Something halfway between Unreal and Red Orchestra would make an interesting mod.

the ps3 game from Insomiac is like that

aliens, bugs, and soldiers.

f.sardis
13th Apr 2006, 09:33 PM
yea, but i prefer cartoonish gore, than lots of lag.

get yourself a ps3 and you wont have to worry about lag or fps drop or quality settings or anything. for the rest of us high quality gore is a must in the game called unreal.

Argosax
14th Apr 2006, 04:45 AM
yea, but we r talking about pc, right?

f.sardis
14th Apr 2006, 08:12 AM
and who said that blood detail has anything to do with network speed?
the blood is rendered by the engine and all that is transmited over the network are the coordinates of decal effects. bleeding effect is calculated localy on each machine after a succesful hit so again there is nothing to cause lag.
so what exactly are you on about?

Argosax
15th Apr 2006, 05:42 AM
Hmmmm... didn´t know.
My apologies. But i´m pretty sure they won´t put the realistic gore because all the moms, reverends, ****ty local news, and every dumbass with an opinion on tv will start bitching about it and "it´s effects on today´s youth."
Remember Columbine? That two bastards had Doom, and imediately the game was blammed for the masacre... I don´t want to see a psycothic mom on tv screaming nonsense... again.

f.sardis
15th Apr 2006, 08:23 AM
that is the problem argosax.
even if they put an option to remove gore most idiots will start bitchin about it.
from the small video i have seen the blood is again very bring red instead of dark red and i didnt see any gibs what so ever.
it will suck big time if they dont make the gore like 99. it pissed me off cause at the same time you got games like FEAR that have perfect effects.
ill bet you anything that you wont be able to nail someone to the wall with the nail gun as you do in FEAR.
its really sad

Argosax
15th Apr 2006, 03:42 PM
Well, youve got HL2 crossbow... ahhh such nice times impaling people in the ceiling. You duck, shoot upwards and WHAM.:lol:

Trynant
18th Apr 2006, 06:53 AM
Ripper?

Yes.