To all UK PuFs who are 56k ping challenged....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
H

Hertston

I've posted this before, but in the light of LordKhaine's post, and replies, it may be worth repeating.

Make sure your problem IS with your phone connection, or ISP (try lots of them). I was under this illusion for a couple of months after buying my current PC in Oct 99, when pings were in excess of 500, and sometimes I could barely connect at all.

It wasn't the ISP, or phone at all, it was the bloody PCI softmodem that the PC came equipped with. THOSE THINGS ARE CRAP ! Replaced it with a Diamond SupraPro external and pings were down to 140 to 200 on a decent collection of servers. And I'm based in Cornwall with no UT servers anywhere near me.

Borrow a decent modem and give it a go. You can also call BT, and ask them to boost your signal strength - they will accomodate if possible.

------------------
I'm NOT paranoid ! All you guys really ARE out to get me !!....

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
well BT said they have already put the maximum amount of gain they can on the line, and the modem seems ok. Its hardware not software, and its a v.90 so I think thats not the problem. I'm not gonna spend money on a modem, cos knowing my luck BT will then release ADSL here afterwards :)

LonlyWarrior|BuF

The Resurection
Apr 25, 2000
Uk..still
Visit site
In Cornwall, cool i have family there hehe. Anyway on the modem part thats VERY interesting, and in two weeks i'm about to find out for sure. I do have a fast 56k, but it's a COM modem, which i really don't trust at all, so i've decided to invest in an external modem. Anyone got any suggestions as to what might be my best buy?

bullet2.gif

To be unable to take one's own enemies, accidents, and
misdeeds seriously for long -- that is the sign of strong and rich
natures. Such a man simply shakes off with one shrug much vermin
that would have buried itself deep into others; here alone is it also
possible -- assuming it is possible at all on earth -- that there be
real "love of one's enemies."

Skumboy

Jun 3, 2000
Visit site
My pings improved when i changed to a Cable phone line (no not cable modem sadly :() from Telewest. Even on the same ISP i was getting better pings. So i agree it is your phonlines.

bullet2.gif

"Any astronomer can predict with absolute accuracy just where every star in the universe will be at 11:30 tonight. He can make no such prediction about his teenage daughter." -- James T. Adams

Send articles/rants/editorials to The Soundoff, home of the world-famous Llama Farm

[Ci]Skumboy|PuF