PDA

View Full Version : Envy from a newbiE

Arsenalvendetta
3rd Apr 2005, 01:03 PM
Introduction
I would first like to apologise to Jlobel for the comment I made about him being in the wrong forum. It was really uncalled for.

I was really excited when I read about Epic working on the new Unreal Tournament codename ‘Envy’; excited to the point of wondering whether or not it was simply an April fool’s ploy. All my doubts of an April fool ploy were erased when I saw the outstanding screenshots. So, I became gullible and believed the whole Unreal 3 thing with Ne’ban – Mr. Crow plot and gullibility turned to anger as I wondered whether or not Epic was trying to appeal to the younger crowd (around age 7 – 14) with its Bug’s Bunny carrying guns atmosphere. I even went as far as wondering whether or not this was the reason why the UT2003 announcer shouts “Mr. Crow” in the UT2004 selection screen when you select Mr. Crow or was it just some sort of glitch? Was it coincidence? Nevertheless, I was fooled, Yes, BU got me… and it got me GOOD!

Mainstream

Being a fan on Assault, and after reading the ‘What we know about Envy’ page, I began wondering why Epic removed assault. I had always trusted Epic to deliver something close to what the community and all Unreal players for that matter wanted so I thought about it. Then I discovered that the point of Assault was basically a mission based scenario, where you command your team to achieve a goal. Reading over the page again, I discovered that Conquest seemed to incorporate what Assault had… and more! With Conquest, the maps are much, much bigger, and it seems like it’s going to include mission based agendas and Necris vehicles. The page also shows that each team will be uniquely armored but I know you guys have already read about it. 1 question which I fear to ask is once Envy comes out and the community starts fragging is will Onslaught share the same fate as Assault in future titles to come? Maybe one won’t have to wait that long because if Conquest gets any better than what I’ve read, it is possible that Epic may do away with Onslaught in Envy. Then again, perhaps Onslaught will be a gamemode included that will appeal to gamers that want something quicker to play on a smaller scale and probably uses less Ram memory which in turn means better gameplay. It’s just a thought though and I’m encouraging productive criticism on this matter if it interests you.

I further read that the scorpion will include rockets and an eject button for detonation of the vehicle. Personally, I don’t mind if Epic builds upon what they already have and I think it could work out for the better more than the worse. So, I began thinking about detonation of the scorpion and how it would aid players. This could be used to annihilate a player on foot easily as well as damage/destroy a vehicle. Then I thought about having a separate vehicle all together that can be detonated, more of a suicide vehicle. A suicide vehicle besides being detonated could also house spidermines and be driven to an enemy vehicle in Onslaught using a remote control. Once an enemy vehicle is within the range of the spidermines detection circumference, then they automatically jump out of the suicide vehicle and assault the enemy vehicle. This would also be good for clearing node defenders in turrets and on foot before taking on power nodes. The upsize of this would be that the suicide vehicle would be highly volatile thus would be quite easily gunned down, and so would even out gameplay; and I guess some people would prefer that a person who man’s a suicide vehicle should pay for it dearly with his life if it gets gunned downed, which means a player should physically drive it instead of remote controlling it.

I’ve also always wondered how it would be like to lock jet-packed spidermines onto an aircraft and fly spiders to the aircrafts the same way the Avril locks onto it. Well, I thought this would be cool but of course other people would think this is total garbage, which I fully respect. But I hope Epic could include this as a mutator if a large number of the community seconds this idea. An improvement I hope they do make however would be to provide more easy maneuvers that the Manta could do in order to dodge the Avril missiles, perhaps a summersault. Or maybe its just that I’m not good enough at dodging missiles like in some starship in Star Wars.

Conclusion

All in all, I believe that Envy will set new standards in the gaming industry and I’m sure Epic has an ear to what the community wants, which may not be the above of course. This is my first letter to the community. Cheers guys!

placebo
3rd Apr 2005, 01:51 PM
I think that while Assault was a symbolic representation of a battle that was linear and the same every time, Conquest will be a literal representation of the battle, where you and your team decide which objectives to make happen. I hope they'll include destructible terrain.

Ignotium
3rd Apr 2005, 01:56 PM
Being a fan on Assault, and after reading the ‘What we know about Envy’ page, I began wondering why Epic removed assault.

ok
the only thing i can tell you is about an article i read here in BU, ppl from Epic said that the Assault was TOO complicate for most of the "casual" gamers wich sounds kinda logic, but the Conquest stuff doesn't sound easier, so wtf

i hope for the communnity to bring assault, BR and DDOM or the original DOM back, as well a the things they removed like the LG the MG via mutators or MODS

EDIT
when i read about Conquest, UT:XMP came to my mind, sounds alike ¬ ¬ doesn't it?

FireCrack
3rd Apr 2005, 05:23 PM
The thing about assault was that it took so much time and effort to develop for. You could have like 5 good onslaugfht maps made in the time it takes to make 1 good assault map.

iron12
3rd Apr 2005, 08:56 PM
ok
the only thing i can tell you is about an article i read here in BU, ppl from Epic said that the Assault was TOO complicate for most of the "casual" gamers wich sounds kinda logic, but the Conquest stuff doesn't sound easier, so wtf

i hope for the communnity to bring assault, BR and DDOM or the original DOM back, as well a the things they removed like the LG the MG via mutators or MODS

EDIT
when i read about Conquest, UT:XMP came to my mind, sounds alike ¬ ¬ doesn't it?

Is XMP worth the download?

JohnDoe641
3rd Apr 2005, 11:07 PM
Well if you've got 2k4, then get the UTXMP mod. It's xmp for 2k4. :tup:

Ignotium
4th Apr 2005, 11:49 PM

well, is quite a good MOD, people stick to DB though

Bang Yr Head
5th Apr 2005, 12:37 AM
I think they removed assault because its just a big spamfest all-together along with Raffi pwning the **** out everything in sight

BooGiTyBoY
5th Apr 2005, 01:16 AM
UT AS > 2k4 AS

They totally borked the gametype and maps in 2k4's version.

UT AS was awesome, fun, and simple to learn. 2k4's is confusing crappy maps with too many objectives and as mentioned above... more of a spam-fest than actual organized teamplay.

B
5th Apr 2005, 03:11 AM
I think they removed assault because its just a big spamfest all-together along with Raffi pwning the **** out everything in sight

:lol: I really need to get back online, all I hear is Raffi owning the place..I wanna be owned too :)

placebo
5th Apr 2005, 04:13 PM
UT Assault was stupid. They didn't even give you a clue to what you were supposed to do.

Dark Pulse
5th Apr 2005, 06:44 PM
2k4's Assault was, IMO, superior. Sure, the maps were larger, there were more objectives and it seemed to take forever, but look at what they DID stop:

The "1337" community who likes to finish maps in 30 seconds via exploits. Sure, there's a few in 2k4's Assault maps, but none on that level - remember how in AS-Mazon you could completely skip three whole objectives with a well-timed Hammerjump. Plus 2k4's Assault is easier to understand what to do at least: There's a arrow pointing to the objective, There's a target display on your HUD showing distance to the objective, and even a indicator that pops up to show how far along you have to go.

Ignotium
5th Apr 2005, 10:36 PM
AS-UT2K4 >> AS-UT

AS-UT2K4 is way better but less funny
but as a guy of Epic said, is just too complicate for the casual players