interior of static mesh transparent

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

human836

Mar 31, 2005
Hi,

FYI - I am a beginner; just starting to learn Unreal Ed 3 and 3DS Max. Hopefully someone will be able to help. Also, I did not create the original static mesh - I am trying to modify it.

My problem: A static mesh room imported from 3DS Max into Unreal Ed only displays exterior opaque walls when the level is played. When a player enters the imported room, you can see through them to the rest of the map. Apparently the walls are just transparent from the inside - you can't walk through them.

The static mesh in 3DS Max doesn't seem to be made from an object (e.g., a box). It seems just to be made of faces.

Is there any way to remove the transparency from the interior walls or make the faces a solid object?

Any guidance, suggestions, or solutions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Polygons are, by definition, one-sided, meaning you can see through them from the side that isn't meant to be viewed. You will still be blocked from walking through the mesh however. The only way to get around this is to create a twosided material and apply it to the mesh. There are two easy ways of doing this, depending if you're using custom or stock textures.

Custom textures: easy enough, just open the properties for the texture (right click the tex in the browser) and under Surface change TwoSided to True.

Stock textures: You can't edit stock content because if you save the package you will break netplay completely and won't be able to join any games. So either right click the tex you want and select Rename, then place it in myLevel for the package with whatever name and group you want, then make it twosided (DON'T save the stock package when asked after closing the editor).

If you don't want to increase filesize like this, go to the file menu of the tex browser, New, select a FinalBlend material from the dropdown box and give it a name, then click ok. A properties window will open for the material. highlight the tex you want to use, then click 'Use' next to the Material slot in the properties window. Now change twosided to true and apply the finalblend to the mesh.

Have fun :)

human836

Mar 31, 2005
Awesome Radiosity!

I followed your instructions and it everything worked. Thanks for the assistance - your help was very much appreciated.