[Sony]Well this is pretty big....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/28/news/international/sony.reut/index.htm

Sony Corp. Monday said it was ordered by a U.S. federal court to halt U.S. sales of its PlayStation game consoles and pay nearly $91 million in patent infringement damages to a California company, although the judge immediately put her ruling on hold.

I guess this has been going on for a while. Basically this company, Immersion, wants Sony to pay them royalties and whatnot for using their "vibration technology" (hehe) in their controllers. Now read the article first, don't just flip out like I did when I saw "ordered to stop selling playstations!" :p Chances are they will never actually have to pull playstations off the shelves and they're going to appeal.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
L_S said:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/28/news/international/sony.reut/index.htm

I guess this has been going on for a while. Basically this company, Immersion, wants Sony to pay them royalties and whatnot for using their "vibration technology" (hehe) in their controllers. Now read the article first, don't just flip out like I did when I saw "ordered to stop selling playstations!" :p Chances are they will never actually have to pull playstations off the shelves and they're going to appeal.
Front Page News
Three hours too late my friend

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
This site has a front page?!?!?!

/me peeks his head out the forum window...is startled...then quickly ducks back into the warm comfort of off topic

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
L_S said:
Chances are they will never actually have to pull playstations off the shelves and they're going to appeal.

Actually, by appealing the order to stop selling PS2s is on hiatus. A little different but a good thing to clear up. :)

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Obvious. Sony is a better cash cow. It's all about dah monee...

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
apparently other companies like Logitech and Microsoft lined up and bent over to Immersion, as if making vibrators was something special and noteworthy. Personally I never really cared for the vibration effects, except for maybe those in MGS.

T

Tournament0

Personally, I only like the vibrations in certain situations and games.
Sometimes it doesn't make sense to have vibrations.
:hmm:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
BlAcK_PlAgUe22 said:
From what I heard, Immersion sued MS, and MS settled out of court for something around 30 million or something. MS now owns 10% in Immersions, apparently, too. :D

hehe :D
If I was bill gates I'd buy that whole company just to personally fire every single employe!

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Balton said:
hehe :D
If I was bill gates I'd buy that whole company just to personally fire every single employe!

or refuse to allow other companies to use the vibration technology at all, at least until they can find a way to do it without breaking copyright laws. That's more MS' speed... and also a very good way to stick it to your competition.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
You can't beat playing Microsoft Combat Flight Sim with a Force Feedback joystick.

Crank up the surround sound and have that joystick vibrating like a mofo as you squeeze off a couple rounds of cannon fire!