UCMP is finally out!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
UCMP > CBP

I quite like this map-pack. A lot of efforts been made to "cut the crap" in terms of map clutter and meshes, and the gameplay's been kept in mild for most of the maps. There's nowhere near the kind of style over substance the CBPs all suffered from. It's not the largest pack in the world, but there's some decent stuff in here.

OK, some first impression reviews.

ONS-ABC - I don't play ONS, but the theme of this seemed very fun, I love the sound clips of the kid's voice "U is for U damage" etc. Looks fun if nothing else. Rating? No idea whatsoever :)

DOM-Cerebral - I'm still amazed people are still making DDOM maps to be honest. This map seems pretty good, layout feels decent, but the map is very big for a DOM map. Get from spawn to points takes a little too long, but overall it feels pretty good. 3/5

CTF-Aithanarid - At first glance this seems quite a large map, there are 5 ways across the "void" midfield, but the bases seem smoothy designed and theres not much clutter at all. The bases are pretty large, but they're all open, so there's not a lot of places to hide. This map could either work very well or break down on the gameplay front. Not too shabby at all though, so 3.5/5

CTF-DecaneCaldera - Fairly small "open field" type map. It's all outside in an undulating open area, with scattered machinery clusters. The whole vibe of the map reminds me of an ONS map to some extent (although it's a lot smaller than an ONS map. Not too keen on this kind of map, they never seem to work, gameplay wise, so I'll give it 3/5

CTF-Aquatica - I loved this map. Very clean design, great flagrooms and not a single piece of clutter anywhere. The whole design is fairly simple and flows really nicely and it could make for some very fast paced games. Not sure if this is a 5v5 or a 4v4 map, as it's quite small. Either way, it's going to be fun. A definite 4/5.

DM-1on1-Derelict - I usually dislike "1on1" maps. They have no room to move or see what's going on, and I really don't see the point of making maps that way. However, Derelict is fantastic. It's got just the right ammount of open space to give room to move, without turning it into a hitscan fest. Tons of Z axis play and there are loads of opportunities to push the movement system to it's limits. 5/5 by a mile.

DM-Bloodrun - Quite a close feel to this map, which takes a little while to get used to. Doesn't seem to be too bad, but I think it could get a little spammy in places. 3/5

DM-Contrast - This map is all about one thing. Z axis. It's a very tall map, and the opportunities to liftjump and walljump are everywhere. Very clean, no clutter, but the gameplay could be a little wierd. One concern is I'm 99% certain the music is copyrighted, so get this map before the lawsuit arrives. Overall, this could be a pretty fun map. 3.5/4

DM-ImMortalis - Ah, the obligatory "Hell" themed map. This is larger than most of the DM maps in the UCMP, and could easily take 8 people or maybe a little more. Overall, not too bad, with a good mix of close and open areas to mix it up, and all the major weapons/PUs are in vulnerable areas. 3.5/5

DM-ThePits - A remake of the classic Quake3 retail map. Not too shabby, with a few changes here and there from the original, as well as a slight change in style towards the industrial. It'll play pretty well I think, but some of the areas could get quite spammy so that's something to look out for. The lack of ladders does mean that some of the routes in the old map are no longer present (out of the water to the what would have been the Quad/Rail for instance). With the nostalgia, this gets a 4/5

DM-PleasantValley - Not really sure what the mappers were trying to do with this one. There are a few nice touches, but overall theres not a lot of flow here, and some parts of the map are very inaccessible. 2/5

DM-RancidMetal - As the description says, it's a Rankin inspired map, and the style follows on from that, with a little extra water and more vents to run through. This one is a little spread out, and doesn't flow that well, but it's certainly not a bad map by any means. 3.5/5

DM-Xanadu - Worth checking out for the epic map description alone. This map's huge, and looks ok too. But it doesn't play well. The weapons are few and far between and there doesn't seem to be much flow at all. 2/5

Last edited:

Ragna

Was online.
Dec 1, 2004
Sydney, AUS
I'm downloading this right now.

Lord Simeon has made tons of good ONS maps (and is AUS too :D ) but wasn't there another ONS map from the same mapper going to be released with the mappack? It was named UMC I think.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I haven't tried the ONS maps yet, but CTF-Aquatica owns. :):tup: I don't really understand the point of naming DM-Contrast so. There's no contrast in visuals whatsoever. The map is basically reskinned Rankin meshes and it's all white and gray, and it has the most drab skybox evar. :con:

PostPunk

DESIGN JUNKIE
Jul 19, 2004
I personally really like how contrast looks! White and gray work for me!

EDIT: Thanks about ABC and Outback! -- I really enjoyed making the textures for them.

Last edited:

cAm

Mar 26, 2005
hmm...

I was assured that i wouldn't have issues with using that music for contrast. Hopefully no trouble will come of it...

cAm

Mar 26, 2005
Turns2Ashes said:
I don't really understand the point of naming DM-Contrast so. There's no contrast in visuals whatsoever. The map is basically reskinned Rankin meshes and it's all white and gray, and it has the most drab skybox evar. :con:

Don't worry, i don't completely understand the name myself. ;)

As for the skybox, i am sorry about that. I had a nicer one, but i started having problems with it, and it boiled down to it having some sort of issue where, if there was anything more complicated than that, it would drop up to 60 fps in some areas. I'm sure drab w/ better fps is better than better looking, runs like ****. ;)

Funktion

Nov 16, 2004
Turns2Ashes said:
I haven't tried the ONS maps yet, but CTF-Aquatica owns. :):tup: I don't really understand the point of naming DM-Contrast so. There's no contrast in visuals whatsoever. The map is basically reskinned Rankin meshes and it's all white and gray, and it has the most drab skybox evar. :con:

You're right, CTF-UCMP-Aquatica sure rocks! I like this kind of layout...
The CTF maps from this pack are some of the best I've played since the release of the Flag Pack. Great stuff!

Regarding DM-UCMP-Contrast, I quite enjoy it. It's a very fun map to play, and I like the "greyish" look of it. I'm far from being the biggest DM fan, but I had fun playing it (and all other DM maps from the pack).

Congratulations (and a big thanks) to all those involved in the making of this pack. I can't wait for Volume 2... :D