Character model for UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stuart Lee

Jul 31, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Hi all,

Here's my first character model for UT2004 - Tag

Initially made for a college project, he took about 2 weeks from start to finish and is modelled in Max6. I painted all the textures myself in Photoshop and included team skins. Note - the screenshots don't show the team skin faces, but they are there and they do work in game - I fixed them after the screens were taken.

interactionman.com/tag

Feel free to download and leave some feedback.

Thanks,
Stuart
aka Interactionman

Cloud88

Apr 6, 2005
Very cool model, I'm interested in modeling a character too but how many poly's should I use?...

Stuart Lee

Jul 31, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Cloud88 said:
Very cool model, I'm interested in modeling a character too but how many poly's should I use?...

The amount varies per game but in UT2004 around 3000 will be fine. Mine was about 4000-4500, but I could probably have saved a few here and there if I'd really tried! And don't forget thats tris not quads. If you're using max, add a "turn to poly" modifier and limit the polygon size to 3. Otherwise if you use the poly counter it will count quads as single polys and give you a lower number than is really there. Game engines always count tris as far as I am aware.

Stuart Lee

Jul 31, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
scott_bris said:
the poly counter in max 7 shows triangles if your using that.

Nice model, I like that greayscale/colour thing that follows the cursor

really? thats handy... I'm still using Max 6 which doesn't distinguish between tris and quads.

Not sure what you mean about a greyscale thing that follows your cursor tho?

Cloud88

Apr 6, 2005
Yes I'm modeling with 3ds max7, And when I open the polygon counter it says triangles and you can change it to polygons, So I should have around 4000 triangles which is about 2000 polys, Ok that's handy, I have one other question, How much triangles should you use for a gun?

Cloud88

Apr 6, 2005
While I'm browsing the internet I see people saying around 2000 POLYGONS, do they mean triangles or poly's with that? the shotgun in HL2 has around 2000 polygons does it mean is has around 4000 triangles or just 2000 triangles?