Making unreal 2004 not playable?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

austin108

Mar 23, 2005
Hello I'm teaching Unreal editing using the 2004 enigine and I have a problem of the students playing the game too much and not workig in it enough. I know that I could probably remove some of the static meshes as to remove the weapons and make the game unplayable but still be able to load levels and see there work.

Does anyone know which files I would have to remove or what I would have to do to the .ini file to make this work.

Thanks,
Austin

Mychaeel

Hmm... now that's an interesting question in this forum. ;)

If you move the map files out of the "Maps" directory, they'll still be able to load them into UnrealEd (and start them in UT2004 them from within UnrealEd), but they won't show up in the game's GUI anymore. (To disable double-clicking maps in Explorer to start them, remove the .ut2 file association.) Note: Keep Entry.ut2; the game needs it to start up.

Alternatively, you could remove the key bindings for "Fire" and "AltFire", but of course they'll be able to re-bind them through the GUI.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Depends how well they know the engine tho, if theyre good with it they can "hack" around that within a minute. Pretty much whatever you do, if they are really good or they ask online they can always undo what you did..

You still want them to be able to play their level in game or only let them run UED ? Delete UT2.exe ?:p
You might modify all levels and remove all playerstarts and other weapons by hand. You could recompile the game code and make certain changes in it such as the pawn or gametype class (most safe tho hardest for you)
Or you could give all levels another extension and delete the old *.ut2 files...