strange modelling question from a n00b

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

akvik

Jan 25, 2004
Hi everyone,

I have a strange request to all you experts out there!

You see, I want to make a character in Unreal that only consists of two big letters! It doesn't have to be animated, just so that it can move around as a static block of letters, but still be able to be a bot in a game, for instance.

Can I import a character mesh into UnrealEngine2 that really doesn't have anything but say, two feet, and that doesn't animate, but can act like a bot?

I have made the mesh in 3Dsmax, and I have been able to import this mesh into unrealengine using ActorX. Now, the (only) thing that is left is to make this into a character, even though it is not a "character" with hands and eyes and all that.

Somehow i think that there is a reallly simple solution to this, but I fear that it might be impossible...

Perhaps the best way to do this is to use the example UDNMale.max file, and transform him into a shape that makes up the two letters?

Thanks folks, for reading about my cracy idea..

ooge

Apr 8, 2005
i'm not really into importing a character, but i thinks its possible, but u should take a look at the script and see what bones are needed (for example a bone where the wapen is attached to) and add them to your model, but skin the model to just one bone so it doesn't animate. i think you also need to create al the different animations (like jump walk) but just don't let anything move in the animation sequences :eek:

akvik

Jan 25, 2004
ooge said:
i'm not really into importing a character, but i thinks its possible, but u should take a look at the script and see what bones are needed (for example a bone where the wapen is attached to) and add them to your model, but skin the model to just one bone so it doesn't animate. i think you also need to create al the different animations (like jump walk) but just don't let anything move in the animation sequences :eek:

Thanks ooge,

I'll look into it - it might be too advance for me, but i can take the starting point from one of the example models, and "tweak" the skin so it fits, perhaps.

:)

akvik

akvik

Jan 25, 2004
scott_bris said:
I would do pretty much what ooge said.

Create a Biped in max and skin the entire model to the hip bone or something like that, a lower back one would work as well probably.

So that means that even though there are bones outside of the skin, the model will still work?

ooge

Apr 8, 2005
yes, bones or joints are only for calculating how your geometry should move

akvik

Jan 25, 2004
Thanks ooge,

for helping me out on this, I really appreciate it! I'll give it an honest n00b-try!

akvik

ooge

Apr 8, 2005
I was a compleet n00b 2 weeks ago, i got bored and found my old ut2k4 special edition dvd, watched some vtm's and i really learned a lot, if you go to 3dbuzz.com i think you can download them yourself.
but be warned it cost a lot of free time and patience