PDA

View Full Version : UCMP

Reciprocity
19th Mar 2005, 11:54 AM
How do you guys think the "Ultimate Community Mappack" will go over?

ReD_Fist
19th Mar 2005, 08:58 PM
Well there has been more time now since ut04 came out,plus all the mod thingys and maps from the MSU contest.And players have been playing longer to narrow down wich gets played more to thier likeing.
And the way there promo statement goes somthing like "better playing........." I tthink there will be some good stuff this time around,I only liked a few from the CBP stuff,there all good maps and such,but somthing didnt't do it for me.accept dm-Achillies and dm-reconstruct and a few others.

I think it will come out good
80% leaning towards ..better than cbp's..

Sir_Brizz
19th Mar 2005, 11:14 PM
We can always use good maps. Usually the best maps come from sets.

Manticore
19th Mar 2005, 11:23 PM
How do you guys think the "Ultimate Community Mappack" will go over?
You obviously have the odd doubt about it.
Well, this one isn't necessarily bad. I mean, remove the letters and it would be fine. Just look for yourself. (http://www.ucmappack.org/umapscrs/onsabcscr01.htm)
IMO, from the screens I've seen of the UCMP, it has the makings of becoming one of the most overhyped failures since UT 2k3.
I'll just wait and see. It's probably going to be a bit of a mixed bag if the link you posted is any indication. All that means is that there will probably be a bit of something to suit all tastes.

I always look forward to downloading these community packs and seeing what's new; what's hot, what's not....

It's nice we're getting all these free maps.

Reciprocity
20th Mar 2005, 04:30 PM
It is nice though, isn't it?

All of my preconceptions aside, I'd like to see what the rest of you think.

Icedancer
20th Mar 2005, 05:24 PM
i predict that it will probably be a huge filesize, and until i upgrade my connection, i doubt i will download it (unless the screenshots look really really really NiCe ;) )

Ice

Bot_40
20th Mar 2005, 07:25 PM
tbh, I don't really like the fact all these map packs have been floating around recently, I'd much rather download individual maps and also I feel the maps get more attention if released individually. That's not only good for the mapper but it's also good for the community.

/me remembers the good ol' days with all the shadar vs projectx 2 discussions etc. Nothing like that will ever happen if everything gets released in map packs.

Manticore
20th Mar 2005, 08:20 PM
tbh, I don't really like the fact all these map packs have been floating around recently, I'd much rather download individual maps and also I feel the maps get more attention if released individually. That's not only good for the mapper but it's also good for the community.

/me remembers the good ol' days with all the shadar vs projectx 2 discussions etc. Nothing like that will ever happen if everything gets released in map packs.
That's a valid point when the mappacks contain maps coming from a lot of different mappers with a lot of different styles and themes.

Perhaps mappack can be useful when it's the same mapper with one particular style and/or gameplay type that they're trying to sell.

Then there's the mappacks that have versions of the same map for different gametypes.

What is a bit too much at times is when you get day/night versions of exactly the same map and exactly the same game type.

A lot of maps from packs end up getting an individual release anyway; such as some of the CBP maps.

What's most time consuming is sifting through the pack(s) and deleting the maps you don't want to keep.......

Sir_Brizz
20th Mar 2005, 09:14 PM
I find that in general maps in map packs get more thorough gameplay testing than maps that are released by the individual authors.

caboose88
20th Mar 2005, 10:34 PM
I think it looks great. Definitely looking forward to it.

Bot_40
21st Mar 2005, 07:57 AM
In general, if I download a map pack like cbp, I first give each map like, a 5 min flythrough to see what each looks like. Most of the time it's just like, "Yeah, that one's nice, oh that's one's average, this one looks good" etc.
Then I pretty much forget what each one is and go back to playing some other map which I know. Can't be bothered to learn the layouts of 20 maps.
On the other hand, something like redkin gets released, kicks up a lot of fuss (yeah, some positive, some negative :p), I play it, I learn the layout, it becomes one of my regular maps. There may be some decent maps in map packs I've downloaded but I can't be bothered to sift through 20 maps to find them so they just stay gathering dust.

The only time a map pack has really done anything for me is the good ol' 1on1-pack for ut. Not too many maps, and they were all way above average (except for that mame one urggg ;) ). Quality, not quantity.

Manticore
21st Mar 2005, 03:33 PM
Quality, not quantity.
Yep, a lot of flythroughs get done. These days I don't have as much time for playing so not everything that ghets released gets played.

Luckily I can't rmemeber one pack where ther has not been one or two gems in amongst the also-rans....

Reciprocity
21st Mar 2005, 05:26 PM
That is an interesting viewpoint, Bot. I personally like the CBP because..
1) It's one of the only times the better mappers of the community can be poked at for some mappage.
2) Despite the long download time (I'm on 56k here), it extends the life of my UT sessions because I've got more content that I know what to do with.

One has to wonder why the CBP team doesn't just give to people like me and stick thier maps up individually somewhere. They could have thier unified effort and maybe accomodate some competition between the different levels like you mentioned.

Manticore
21st Mar 2005, 06:02 PM
That is an interesting viewpoint, Bot. I personally like the CBP because..
1) It's one of the only times the better mappers of the community can be poked at for some mappage.
2) Despite the long download time (I'm on 56k here), it extends the life of my UT sessions because I've got more content that I know what to do with.

One has to wonder why the CBP team doesn't just give to people like me and stick thier maps up individually somewhere. They could have thier unified effort and maybe accomodate some competition between the different levels like you mentioned.
Some of the CBP's have come up individually but generally these packs are of a high standard. I think they have quite a few pro mappers in there.

56k must make life difficult. Having had broadband for a few years now I don't know how I did without it. I suppose I just wouldn't be downloading, commenting and posting as much...

ArcadiaVincennes
21st Mar 2005, 07:51 PM
Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the varied opinions. It's interesting to see what ya'll are thinking.

I hope we don't dissappoint any of you - although there will be those that are, I hope they're in a much fewer percentile than those that are pleased.

And we are planning on releasing the maps individually about 1 month after mappack release.

Thanks for the insight!

-AV

Reciprocity
21st Mar 2005, 08:11 PM
Hey AV. Sorry about the abraisive comment earlier. What I meant was that some of the maps look a little...like...just short of greatness.

ArcadiaVincennes
21st Mar 2005, 08:27 PM
It's no problem - As I said - it's been interesting reading all of your perspectives. No need to apologize...

You're all entitled to your opinions and I respect that. Some of you will not like it. Some will say they're too pretty with too little gameplay value. Some will say that the FPS are too low.

Hopefully some will say it's superb. ;)

Honestly, we're just trying to do our best and to learn and grow and get better. Part of that process is positive AND negative community feedback. And we welcome both.

With community feedback we'll get better and we'll know what to do more of, what to do better, and what to never do again. If this one doesn't spark you, maybe the next one will.

Again - I have no problem with any of ya'lls comments. I hope you'll all give us your honest opinions when it comes. My sole request is that the negative comments be contstructive and not "OMFG U R Teh 5UXX0R5." - Hehehe. You get the idea.

Thanks for the opinions all!

Reciprocity
21st Mar 2005, 09:37 PM
Cool. Hey, if you guys need some beta testing done or a public relations..erm..guy..know that I have alot of free time, a decent rig and know good stuff when I see it.:)

ArcadiaVincennes
22nd Mar 2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the offer but we're all set at the moment.

If anyone has any other comments on the upcoming UCMP I'd love to hear them.

Juggalo Kyle
23rd Mar 2005, 10:55 AM
woah, somebody made a thread about our outcome :) well thanks for being interesting on what the rest of the community thinks of the ucmp. its pretty hard for me to think right now, spiting headaches are not fun. but yeah, Michael M gave me a link to this a while back, i think the day it was started, but i couldnt post because my account was messed up or something, but who cares about that right now. lol, im not going to be dumb and vote ;) just wouldnt be right. but yeah, thanks again for being interested in our work! :) :)

Juggalo Kyle
23rd Mar 2005, 10:57 AM
oh BTW

Will it give the CBP a kick in the ass?

we arnt trying to kick CBP in the ass :lol:

Reciprocity
23rd Mar 2005, 06:21 PM
Well, I guess that was a little pre-emptive of me. I mean, you guys do have a few members of the aforementioned composition on your team. I don't by any means put this as a CBP knock off.
Tell Sjosz he seriously needs to retweak the lighting on that aquatic level of his. It has an almost zonelit look about it. It's almost the same deal as was with Plutonic's CTF-Rivalry. More contrasts.

Juggalo Kyle
23rd Mar 2005, 10:10 PM
hmmm... everybody else thought the lighting looked fine. i know in the last beta, somebody said he forgot to build the lighting :lol:
but the map is already final. :)

PostPunk
23rd Mar 2005, 10:57 PM
Tell Sjosz he seriously needs to retweak the lighting on that aquatic level of his. It has an almost zonelit look about it. It's almost the same deal as was with Plutonic's CTF-Rivalry. More contrasts.

Hope you're not basing it on the wallpaper -- I seriously tweaked the lighting there... super aquamarine.

Reciprocity
23rd Mar 2005, 11:47 PM
hmmm... everybody else thought the lighting looked fine. i know in the last beta, somebody said he forgot to build the lighting :lol:
but the map is already final. :)

If that's what I'm looking at on the website under content, the beta I mean, then I won't bother you guys about it. If what's on the website is the final product..erm...

Juggalo Kyle
24th Mar 2005, 01:20 AM
ok, so you looked at the pics in the content pages huh? Post Punk thought you might of been basing it off of the wall papers, and wanted to say that those pictures are altered, they have altered lighting, so it doesnt appear that way ingame. :)

Juggalo Kyle
24th Mar 2005, 10:19 AM
woah, i didnt even see post punks post! crazy yo :P

Bellasadda
24th Mar 2005, 03:34 PM
The map (sjosz's) looks and plays great. The pictures may be a bit misleading

Bellasadda
26th Mar 2005, 12:48 PM
You know, you guys should really stop talking about this pack and go download it.

http://www.ucmappack.org/

Juggalo Kyle
26th Mar 2005, 06:20 PM
i'll woot to that!

Reciprocity
27th Mar 2005, 08:01 PM
Will download.:)

Manticore
28th Mar 2005, 06:31 PM
Downloaded; thanks for the maps.........

Sjosz
29th Mar 2005, 01:44 AM
Would Reciprocity please give feedback on my map's (Aquatica) lighting after playing it?

Reciprocity
30th Mar 2005, 06:14 PM
Would Reciprocity please give feedback on my map's (Aquatica) lighting after playing it?

Just like I suspected. The lighting overall is just overly washed out. Lacks some projectors or strong contrasts between shades.
Oh and the crack in the window paneling in the median of the level is kinda precurious. The structure shows no other signs of decadence besides that one. It seems a little wierd to me.

ArcadiaVincennes
1st Apr 2005, 08:43 AM
Well, sorry you're dissappointed by the lighting. Remember though - It takes place in an underwater arena which, by definition, would produce more subtle, slightly more ambiant lighting to begin with.
But, everyone's opinion is individual and valid enough on its own.

Thanks for trying the maps - I hope that you enjoyed the gameplay, and some, if not all, of the graphical goodness.

Thanks for the feedback, too!

Cheers!

-AV

Bellasadda
1st Apr 2005, 09:30 AM
Oh and the crack in the window paneling in the median of the level is kinda precurious. The structure shows no other signs of decadence besides that one. It seems a little wierd to me.

You know, if you pulled out a rocket launcher, you may find a bit more structure damage.

barballs
2nd Apr 2005, 07:08 AM
Reciprocity, I would be interested to hear what you have to say about Derelict. There have been plenty mixed comments. I'm surious as to what yours are.

Reciprocity
2nd Apr 2005, 02:18 PM
The erm...Halo conversion?

Sjosz
2nd Apr 2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the comment Reciprocity, I do not share your opinion, but I cannot blame anyone for having an opinion of their own. I am proud of this map I made. I hope you can still appreciate the gameplay it offers.

As for Derelict, Barballs meant his own creation, DM-UCMP-Derelict, not DM-HUT-Derelict from the HaloUT team

Reciprocity
2nd Apr 2005, 07:00 PM
Oh yeah, sjosz. It has some create CTF action to offer. I wouldn't shy away from toying with the lighting when you release this one individually though. Or are you guys keeping all the maps as is when they come out 1 by 1?

Hmm...I thought Derelict was pretty good. It had this look about it that said you'd blown the side off of Roughinery and cleared up the sky a bit. The gameplay was a little more lax than the aforementioned map, a welcome change.
I wasn't a big fan of the overlapping shadows though. They show that you have too many light sources or perhaps too high a radii of some. To that same effect, I've been to Earth nice place btw; supposing that this is the location of the map, the moon in the right size and scale but the sunlight actor is a little too pertinent and bright. Also, the light need more variance in colors. The blue is dominating the entire map. Make sure you get some yellows. The reds are just right. Notice I said "yellow", not "peach". ;)
The pipes with adrenaline and health are almost an overload. One or two less of those would even out the risk/reward factors.
Oh yeah, and I am interested to know..why did you use an xprojectmesh as opposed to a fluid surface for your pool?

barballs
3rd Apr 2005, 04:09 AM
The maps willl be kept as is when the come out one by one other wise everyone who has downloaded the pack will have to re-download the maps individually. Though if there are "bugs or tweaks" I'm sure they'll be addressed.

XProc supposedly keeps better performance. plus I liked how it looked on other stock maps. So, I used it :D

Balton
5th Apr 2005, 10:00 AM
now this is what I call a "wank-yourself" thread!

Manticore
8th Apr 2005, 06:40 PM
I think BR-UCMP Shallow should have been included in the pack.......;)

RichyB
25th Jun 2005, 01:41 PM
I liked the hole pack. There is a few that dont deserve to be on the pack but must of them do.:)

ArcadiaVincennes
27th Jun 2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the support Richyb!