SpeedTree Integrated with Unreal Engine 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
IDV Inc released a press release today regarding the integration of SpeedTree foliage rendering technology with Unreal Engine 3. Several new and truly astounding screenshots have been released, showing the great realism and detail of the technology. Here's a portion of the full press release:

SpeedTreeRT delivers low-polygon, highly realistic trees and plants, with adjustable
wind effects, seamless LOD transitions, and a library of hundreds of tree models from
more than 100 species. SpeedTreeRT also includes SpeedTree CAD, which will enable
Unreal Engine licensees to create and edit animated trees in real-time.

SpeedTree technology has also been integrated into the Unreal Engine’s decolayers, so
forests can be painted directly onto the terrain, eliminating the need to place trees
individually. Although the trees appear at unprecedented detail, thanks to the efficiency
of the SpeedTree technology, any foliage will have a minimum impact on frame rates.

Several more screenshots can be viewed here.

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Sweet! :rockon:

Was starting to wonder when they would cover the use of speed trees in Unreal Engine 3, would be nice to see a demo vid of a forest fly by.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Good Christ! :eek:

That's amazing... Though I wonder if they've figured out how to do BSP curves without having horrible lighting results (or gotten away from BSP completely)? Quake 3 handles curved BSP better than UT2004. :p

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Turns2Ashes said:
That's amazing... Though I wonder if they've figured out how to do BSP curves without having horrible lighting results (or gotten away from BSP completely)? Quake 3 handles curved BSP better than UT2004. :p
afaik they're phasing it out completely last I heard. Could be wrong though, I can't remember where I read that.

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
Trees are good, so this rocks. :tup:

*Edit: wow, looked at the rest of that site. The autumn and winter pics are real nice. What would be slick is if they would be affected by the physics engine...

Last edited:

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
This is what I love about the Unreal Engine, developers can plug in all their own stuff and Epic can decide whether to adopt the technology. This is important because Epic may not want to concentrate development efforts on accurately modelled trees etc. Great stuff!

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
I came. :eek:

However I'm less then impressed with the new Unreal muzzle flashs and HUD. ;)

day_2.jpg