PDA

View Full Version : NOW WHAT?!?!

-{SC}- Renamon
15th Mar 2005, 10:03 PM
This is getting ridiculous! I'm getting tons of STUPID dumb*** little problems that just happen for no apparent reason.
I made a desert map, decided that the pathing for bots SUCKED so I went to change it, an hour later I save, but noooo, none of my icons, the start bar or ANYTHING for that matter show up on my desktop... So I am forced to restart.

I hope my map has saved but when I load UT2004 I cannot click or ESC past the starting movies, I try to look for my map DM-SandStorm but it simply is not there, it won't show up in the DM map select.
I cannot edit it again, the editor is now corrupt with two errors on startup EVERY TIME:

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-09-07_17.17]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2552 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT (Microsoft Corporation) (5673)

General protection fault!

History: WBrowserStaticMesh::UpdateMenu <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnSize <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnCreate <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- PerformCreateWindowEx <- WBrowser::OpenWindow <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OpenWindow <- WM_BROWSER_UNDOCK <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-09-07_17.17]

History: WBrowserStaticMesh::UpdateMenu <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnSize <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnCreate <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- PerformCreateWindowEx <- WBrowser::OpenWindow <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OpenWindow <- WM_BROWSER_UNDOCK <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- FALVoiceModule::NoteDestroy <- UALAudioSubsystem::NoteDetroy <- ULevel::DestroyActor <- (Camera myLevel.Camera0) <- UPlayer::Destroy <- UViewport::Destroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsViewport::Destroy <- UObject::ConditionalDestroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- UEditorEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

-{SC}- Renamon
16th Mar 2005, 11:14 PM
Please someone help me get rid of these problems, even making the map show up is an improvement.

I tried renaming the map 'DM-Desert2' to see if it just hated the name but it's obviously appearance corrupt, as if the editor is still trying to save the map but never suceeds, ever.

EDIT: Umm... I can't do anything with my mouse ingame, I can't move my view, start the game or use any keyboard buttons... My splash screens are gone aswell..

I think I might need a reload, but will that do the trick?

B
17th Mar 2005, 06:38 AM
Sounds like you need to reinstall the game. Backup your own maps from the maps directory (and if you used any, your custom textures, meshes etc) and reinstall the game, put the map(s) back in and try to load them.

It might be handy to save your user.ini and ut2k4.ini too, but I'm not sure if you should re-use them since it seems there are some things screwed up in them

Good luck :)

Bono
17th Mar 2005, 01:42 PM
but noooo, none of my icons, the start bar or ANYTHING for that matter show up on my desktop... So I am forced to restart.Not necessarily. Before restarting try the following:

1) Open Windows Task-Manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL.
2) Click 'New Task...' , enter 'explorer.exe' in the opening window and click 'OK'.

This should restore your desktop without having to restart. If you are lucky you get the chance to save your changes.

Hunter
17th Mar 2005, 03:14 PM

What drivers are you running your graphics card on? Download the latest ones from nvidia.com and try again.

-{SC}- Renamon
17th Mar 2005, 07:06 PM
How I do I find that out?

EDIT: I catn' Speel.

-{SC}- Renamon
17th Mar 2005, 09:08 PM
Well it's nothing to do with the ut2k4.ini file.

EDIT: Nope, it's neither User.ini or UT2004.ini, it just wants to automatically corrupt itself, the editor is messed up and everything!
This is retarded! Atleast I will be able to use my old .ini files.

I guess I'll be backing up my .ini files, my maps and stuff and then attempt a reload, it should work after that.

B
18th Mar 2005, 04:48 AM
It also could be that the map got corrupted while saving. If that is the case a reinstall won't help. But I guess it's worth a shot.

Hunter
18th Mar 2005, 12:28 PM
How I do I find that out?

EDIT: I catn' Speel.

Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > "Graphics Card Name Tab"

That should give you a display with a list of dll files the version is the last 4 numbers e.g. 5672 :)

-{SC}- Renamon
18th Mar 2005, 02:06 PM
It also could be that the map got corrupted while saving. If that is the case a reinstall won't help. But I guess it's worth a shot.
Then shoulden't the editor work?
I'll also back up the map backup files so I can use the lastest build of the map before the corruption, now if THAT dosen't make the map work, something really ODD happened.

Huh, I don't see a 'Graphcis card name' tab :hmm:

-{SC}- Renamon
25th Mar 2005, 06:40 PM
NOPE. Simply reloading on top won't work, I'd think atleast it'd fix the mouse problem so I can play without the map. I don't really NEED it or anything.

It now gives me this on startup:

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2554 MHz with 1023MB RAM

History: UObject::StaticAllocateObject <- (Package ChaosTex_006) <- UObject::CreatePackage <- UObject::ResolveName <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- UObject::GetPathName <- UCacheManager::ParseCrosshair <- UCacheManager::ParseCacheFiles <- UCacheManager::InitCache <- UCacheManager::execInitCache <- (UT2K4GUIController Package.UT2K4GUIController @ Function XInterface.GUIController.InitializeController : 0165) <- UObject::execClassContext <- (UT2K4GUIController Package.UT2K4GUIController @ Function XInterface.GUIController.InitializeController : 0165) <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (UT2K4GUIController Package.UT2K4GUIController, Function XInterface.GUIController.InitializeController) <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

It's obviously something to do with ChaosTex_006.
I'll redownload the chaos mod and see if that works.

Angel_Mapper
25th Mar 2005, 06:52 PM
From your first post I'd say that the static mesh browser somehow came undocked, have you tried deleting UnrealEd.ini?

-{SC}- Renamon
25th Mar 2005, 07:52 PM
No, but I'll try that.

Well after putting on the lastest patch and getting the lastest version of the chaos mod, deleting the other folder for it.
My old .ini's caused the mouse bug again so I used the ones from my other computer, only saving my most treasured pieces of data, the bot names and configs.

Everything is perfectly in order now, just that the editor still has the same problem, I deleted the corrupt map, but can't remake it if I can't use the editor.

rattyocaster
26th Mar 2005, 08:32 AM
nVidia Drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp) GET NEWEST GRAPHICS DRIVERS, REGARDLESS OF CURRENT VERSION!!!!
The main reason I'm so insistant on this is because if you're letting windows Auto update to Service pack 2, you'll have DirectX 9c and for that to work you need at least version 67.xx, but even so, you should get the latest drivers.
Have you got windows all up to date? if not, why not? Service pack 2 includes DirectX 9c which'll make major improvements to running graphics software in Direct 3D, which should give UT2004 a hand.
What processor do you have? As I've not heard of a Genuine Intel Unknown processor before. have you overclocked it at all? as if you've overclocked it and it's not finding it right afterwards, that won't be doing you any favours.
Sorry for sounding patronising, hard day in the IT business as it is LOL