Farewell, hitscan whoring and sound hax

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
Yep, today's the day. I just deleted all of my sound settings, FOV binds, and brightskin hax. I have to credit Scumgrief for setting me on the path... we played a while ago, and he said that doing what I was doing would get me nowhere, competitively at least. Now, after a few weeks, I'm starting to understand what he's talking about. Using only two weapons and relying entirely on hearing your opponent is not the way to go. It may work for Gitzzz or Burnie or Lauke or whoever, but it just isn't fun. The element of surprise and the adrenaline rush that come from uncertainty is worth the loss.

From now on at FragBU, or at any other occasion, you can count on me to spam rockets and flak as much as the next guy. I'm a changed man.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Raffi im proud of you for making this bold move. When i first heard you were using these so called "hax" "cheats" "binds" whatever you call them, my faith in your skill went down the toilet literally. But anywho thats all done and stuff, now its time for you to get good the hard way :)

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
i never even knew... and i.. i trusted you.. you had my first born child..

pfft.. never even knew such things existed. shows how often i play :( i guess.?

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Well you broke the news to me a while ago, but congrats! I have my mouse sens at about 7, and belive you me, there is no feeling quite like swooping down on someone and BLASTING them with rockets by surprise. May your games be long and filled with fun, now and forever!

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I am the founder of the Quack to Unreal rockets association of people who use rockets in Quack and Unreal and play the game with them when they play it. And I'm proud to know that you've denouced the hax and are learning the way of the rocket.

You are talking about one rocket not three, right? ;)

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
hal said:
I am an honorary member of the flak spam club as well as the SPMA club. Good to have you aboard. :tup:

I think you are the SPMA club. I often forget it exists until I play ONS at fragBU again with hal.

So, by bskin hacks, you just mean having them enabled on comp and TAM right? or was there another secret to your hit-scan success I wasn't aware of?

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
There is a way to set all skins to unlit, but I'm not going to spread any evil.

BTW, Capt. Toilet, it's not just about using the sound settings or having unlit skins. It's really about using these to your advantage in-game under high-stress situations. For example, any idiot can use an aimbot, but will he win? Not necessarily.

In my case, I was really good at using really low sensitivity along with no mouse acceleration. It's not just about having the settings, it's about using them to your advantage. That's why for some people, using low sensitivity just doesn't help their game at all.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, it's like the ninja/samurai analogy. Both are very skilled at what they do, and neither could do their job without that skill, but they just play by different rules. The ninja uses everything he has at his disposal to accomplish his goal, and shapes his strategy to that. A Samurai plays by a set of rules, and hence has to shape his strategy differently.

The word "unlit" confuses me, though I respect your not spreading the evils. Mostly just curious, not that I would use it. I haven't even tried the rolloff bit since I read it, and I don't even use bskins on comp or tam. I force Gorge if I have any trouble at best.

Last edited:

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
-AEnubis- said:
The word "unlit" confuses me, though I respect your not spreading the evils. Mostly just curious, not that I would use it. I haven't even tried the rolloff bit since I read it, and I don't even use bskins on comp or tam. I force Gorge if I have any trouble at best.
It makes the skins completely unaffected by lighting. Why do you think I was forcing Tamika and Jakob? Everyone knows those skins are hard to see. Since I could see them and my opponents couldn't, that gave me an unfair advantage right off the bat.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Raffi_B said:
It makes the skins completely unaffected by lighting. Why do you think I was forcing Tamika and Jakob? Everyone knows those skins are hard to see. Since I could see them and my opponents couldn't, that gave me an unfair advantage right off the bat.
You're the reason I looked into forcing Gorge/Rylisa. When we dueled on Idoma you blended in perfectly. :eek:

I will admit, I do the INI h4x, but I don't think my game has improved any because of it. Only difference is now when I use Gorge I see Gorges and Rylisas with Epic brightskins and the glowy-fire-in-players'-ass thing so I can tell which team someone's on at a distance. I tried the unlit thing awhile back. Didn't seem to work. Must have edited the wrong thing. :(

Raffi's right about the sensitivity thing. I used to play at 3.5 and now I'm down to 1.75 and I really don't see any difference. There's no way in hell I could go back to 3.5 now because I'm used to it being a little slower, but I don't think my aim has improved much, if at all, due to lowering it. It feels natural though because I got this fairly large, very slick mousepad now so 1.75 is quick enough for me. I used to play on my desk and I had a bad habit of never really moving my arm; I only moved from my wrist up (came from the crappy desks we have here at college that have no space in the keyboard pull-out drawer for a mouse). Now that I've broken that habit, 3.5 is way too fast, but my aim still sucks just the same. My accuracy is still probably less than 10% and most of the shots I make with hitscan are twitch/luck shots.

BTW, from what I noticed playing Raffi tonight, I don't think he's going to be giving up hitscan any time soon. I think he's just saying it to get our guard down. ;)

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
I don't want to see you give it up all together, because you are one of the very best (that I have seen) with the hitscan weapons. I think it would be a little sad to see it go, I enjoy "WTF that is impossible" and "OMG H4X". It is a little more gratifying when you get a skilled lob of the flak or hit someone with a rocket in mid-air, but those are few and far between for those lacking in skill such as me. It should be fun trying something new, though it will be hard to move away from something you are very good at and comfortable with, but gl hf :D