Dual Core CPU's And Unreal Engine 3.0

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A pair of new articles (Thanks, edhe and Romulan!) concerning the much-touted dual-core CPUs that are on the horizon: First up, a piece on the technology and an interview with Epic Games' Tim Sweeney at Anandtech.

AnandTech: The new Unreal Engine 3 is designed for multi-threading, and will make good use of dual core CPUs available when games on the new engine come out. What parts of the game will benefit/be improved, thanks to multiprocessing? What will be the parts that will benefit the most?

Tim Sweeney: For multithreading optimizations, we're focusing on physics, animation updates, the renderer's scene traversal loop, sound updates, and content streaming.We are not attempting to multithread systems that are highly sequential and object-oriented, such as the gameplay.

Implementing a multithreaded system requires two to three times the development and testing effort of implementing a comparable non-multithreaded system, so it's vital that developers focus on self-contained systems that offer the highest effort-to-reward ratio.

The second, is a story at Gamespot Hardware that looks at the upcoming Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 840 that features two physical Pentium processors on a single chip.

As a bonus, the article showcases a short video of RoboHordes, an upcoming Unreal Engine 3.0 game that was announced recently. The game comes courtesy of Dave Taylor, of Naked Sky Entertainment, formerly of id Software.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
The eternal problem. Do I put off a new system for another year for this and ask myself the same question then, or do I get one now and develop an inferiority complex later.

EDT: You know, reading about the ways they're dividing up the jobs for games, putting graphics on one core, sound on another, an physics on it's own, it makes me question the announcement of the physics processor the other day. That sounded like a decent idea, but I have to wonder if it won't go the way of MMX. I remember when everyone said that would be the new thing to get. I don't know if it was swollowed by regular cards or what but you sure don't hear about it anymore.

Last edited:

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
Get a socket 939 system with an athlon 64 3000+ now and just upgrade the CPU when the dual core athlon64s come out.

edit: MMX is in the CPU.

Last edited:

bid

Sep 27, 2004
I'm still use my Amiga system regularly. In 1985 this OS had memory management and multitasking; the very same features that were introduced in Windows a decade later.

Last edited:

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Does this mean I should cancell my order on a Pentium-M based system and order one with a P4?

Damn you Clevo. Get that D900K out now!

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Bazzi said:
Get a socket 939 system with an athlon 64 3000+ now and just upgrade the CPU when the dual core athlon64s come out.

edit: MMX is in the CPU.
Given how cpu-upgrades have been done so far there's a pretty good chance that a dual-core will either require a new motherboard or the old one simply doesn't get the bios-update that's needed to support it.

I reckon you can upgrade if your motherboard is less than a year or so old, but then you might as well wait until it's released and all the initial bugs have been dealt with.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
*bump*

So they're talking about dual cores and multi-threading.Well what about P4 Hyper Threading? Will it improve performance over another system without HT? I'm stuck picking between cpu's for a new system I need to buy and it needs to last a couple of years so I want to make sure I pick the right CPU. Anyone have some advice?