JB-Depository

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

expisCoR

Thinktank for the "Head CoR JB Mapper"
Mar 12, 2005
West Chester, PA
Name: JB-Depository
For: Unreal Tournament 2004, Jailbreak

Download link: http://clancor.igamecafe.com/download.php?view.28

I will try to post screenshots later, but for now, any comments, suggestions, rants, thanks, praise, life stories, etc (that relate to the map) are welcome. Thanks. (please note that is is my first JB map, but still, don't go easy just because of that)

Last edited:

expisCoR

Mar 12, 2005
West Chester, PA
Screenshots

Here are some screenshots that I just took.

Attachments

• Shot00036.jpg
    Shot00036.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Shot00045.jpg
    Shot00045.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Shot00051.jpg
    Shot00051.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 32

Funktion

Nov 16, 2004
I just tried your map. Like you asked, I won't go easy on you :)D). I must say I don't map, so my opinion is purely as a gamer.

First of all, is the "look" of the map supposed to be final, or will you actually add textures? If it's supposed to be final, I must say it looks pretty bad since the map is all grey, and has an uninteresting look.
Regarding the layout of the map the lower level is rather pointless (and what the hell is that "pit" with spiders in it? :)); the upper level while quite basic (3 corridors and some boxes) it's actually kind of fun when the number of players is very high.
The bots are pretty decent, from the couple of matches I played they seemed to use the map well enough.
The jail is a little weird and in my opinion too small, although I did like the "ramp" going down to allow the players to go out. The execution sequence is non-existing at the moment, the players simply die for no apparent reason.

Overall I'd say it's a decent effort for someone who's starting (I can tell you this is easily better than my pathetic attempts at mapping... :D), although it's a long way from the quality of the maps currently available for the mod. You still have quite a lot to learn, but practice makes perfect, right?

I'm sure other members of this forum, who actually know how to map (unlike me... :D), can give you some tips on how to improve on your further attempts at mapping for UT2004 and Jailbreak.

expisCoR

Mar 12, 2005
West Chester, PA
Thanks for the input, Funktion.

As of now, I am still learning and the map may or may not have a 'final' version. The textures may change if I find time to work on them. As for the lower level of the map, I hope to do more with that space (suggestions?). As for the pit with spiders in it, if you manage to get in (and out) there is a redeemer waiting down there. Execution seems to work sometimes (I think I may have fixed it).

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I agree with the post above -- you need more variety in the textures.
you also need more detail on the walls. but just going from the shots, it looks like an interesting layout that has potential. In the shot with the blue player at the front -- how could that player get up to what looks like walkways high up on either side? what's the pit in front?

It looks like a good start though -- keep at it! :D

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
OK, I've been playing this, and yeah, it's a jailbreak map.

You did asked for honesty, you'll get it:
- the basics (layout) is not very good to start with. A couple of rooms connected.
- the rooms all look dull, squared and empty, straight walls, the same texture, no decoration. Try to bring in some theme.
- all lights don't have lightsources (lamps, fires, torches, windows, you name it).
- the boxes at the base are kinda useless, bot will go around them, a human player can double jump right over them.
- I miss a proper execution.
- I always prefer screenshots (material sequence is even better) and loading screen without bots, botnames and huds.
- I forgot to look if it has a Scoreboard Minimap.

Maybe Spoondog's Mapping For Jailbreak can give you some ideas.
Don't let this criticism keep you away from trying again though. ;)

Last edited:

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
Poor poor expisCoR...

lol

Anyways, I tried it right when you first uploaded it to the clan site. It played well enough, better than some (like JB-Templar-BETA-v1), worse than others. Seriously needs more details, textures, static meshes, anything really that brings some definition to the map so that it doesn't look so basic.

If you have any questions, I'm the closest thing Clan CoR has to a mapping expert so let me know, ok? (not to say that I'm an expert, just to say I'm the best in Clan CoR. Not sure if that is saying much or not really.)

expisCoR

Mar 12, 2005
West Chester, PA
Not really, I am not really that good with what remains ('decorations' and to fix the lighting). If you would like, I will email you my most recent version so you can play around with it.

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
expisCoR said:
Not really, I am not really that good with what remains ('decorations' and to fix the lighting). If you would like, I will email you my most recent version so you can play around with it.

Would you be so kind?

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
Ok, I have started working on JB-Depository now.

Seriously way too much free time. (working on four maps atm... ugh.)

Anyways...

Done so far:

Deleted and redesigned the ENTIRE bot pathing network. Seriously man, what the heck were you doing? There were path nodes EVERYWHERE, about every 7 - 8 feet in the map. I always wondered why the ran in odd directions sometimes, now I know. Coincidentally, despite the other things I added the map file size is 250 KB smaller now. Sheesh.

Changed many of the lights to give the map a slightly different feel. The lighting is much more dramatic now, and the lighting isn't bleaching the textures anywhere near as badly. I think it looks better, and I will post a screenie or 5 when I get that part (and others) closer to being done.

Added defense points (3 per team so far) so that the bots don't mill around like lost sheep when they are told to defend.

Going to do:
1. Finish the arena. I'm guessing the great big room with the HUGE hole in the middle is the intended arena anyways, right?
2. Finish the lighting
3. Retexture the entire map
4. Add static meshes (lights and such mainly)
5. Add more detail to everything. (as tarquin pointed out)

What I will not be doing: (unless expisCoR requests it)
1. Changing any of the main brush architecture
2. Changing the deemer room in any way (I like it that way, it's all freaky)
3. Changing the escape route (before today I never even knew the map had one.)

Let me know what you think.

expisCoR

Mar 12, 2005
West Chester, PA
Sounds good. I don't know if I ever sent you a version with with the escape route, hence why you didn't know about it.

I don't know how much I will have a chance to read this weekend, as I am currently sitting in headquarters of my scout camp.

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
expisCoR said:
Can't make what? The escape? or the Deemer?

Well, I can make it about halfway through the escape route before I'm blown to bits, as for the deemer... I can get the deemer, just not get back out of the room.

Is that big room the arena?