choosing college

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
i was wondering if anyone here had an opinion on this. my choices are between carnegie mellon computer science (if i get in), UC boulder for CS (already in), and university of oregon (anything, already in). my major will probably be double major in math and CS.

by itself, the choice is ****ing obvious, obviously. however, if i go to the university of oregon i will only have to take 3 more math classes in a 400 level series, since i've already taken the rest from their remote campus while in high school. most if it will probably transfer to UC boulder too, and UC boulder uses C++ for their computer science so i will be able to skip a bunch of stuff there too. if i go to CMU i will probably get nothing transferred, but it is a much better school.

here is what i can transfer to U of O and probably UC boulder:
math 36 credits
physics 16 credits
chemistry 8 (maybe 12) credits

where a full time year is 36 credits.

here is how long i think it will take me to do math + cs at each one:
U of O 2-3 years
UC boulder 2 years (3 if i can't transfer all my math)
CMU 4 years (i doubt anything will transfer)

is it worth it to go to CMU but for a longer? CMU's CS program is the top program in the country.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Go to the college with the best reputation AND where you can learn the most new things.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
that's why i'm leaning towards CMU, but i've also read and heard that it doesn't really matter where you go for undergrad. if thats true then it'd better to go to somewhere where i can graduate sooner, and worry about which college to go to for graduate school.

CMU is definitely going to be the place where cutting edge research and stuff is going on, but i doubt you get to work on that kind of stuff as an undergrad. the guy that invented anisotropic filtering is/was a professor at CMU and is now working for nvidia.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
bobtheking said:
that's why i'm leaning towards CMU, but i've also read and heard that it doesn't really matter where you go for undergrad. if thats true then it'd better to go to somewhere where i can graduate sooner, and worry about which college to go to for graduate school.

CMU is definitely going to be the place where cutting edge research and stuff is going on, but i doubt you get to work on that kind of stuff as an undergrad. the guy that invented anisotropic filtering is/was a professor at CMU and is now working for nvidia.

well... seems like the american college system is way different than germanys... maybe you should wait fro some american college graduates for their input ;)

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
I was glad I went somewhere that had a lot of options. I'm on my fifth major, but graduating this summer.

Where I call home, 36 credits already is a completed Math major...I don't know anyone who isn't a math major with that many credits, so double majoring seems like a good idea since you're obviously a CS major.

You don't really need grad school for CS do you? I guess you do for Math. Man I dunno. Just pick the one that has the best town and people. I can't imagine college without great people. It may not be what you're going for, but it'll keep you going.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
It might be helpful if you can get the email addresses of an advisor in the department you’re majoring in. Email them and see if you can set up a time to speak with them over the phone. Maybe send them a list of your classes that you think you could get credit for.

This will help you get a feel for the different colleges. I don’t know if you’re majoring in math or what, but let’s just say it’s math as an example. Log on to the college websites and check out their math department, and see if they have a list of professors/ instructors. They should have some credentials posted for those professors.

Now look at the program, or whatever it’s called, you’ll be using. For example, when I went for my physics degree, you had to take this course and that course, etc. See if you can find out who teaches those courses. Compare that with the credentials of the instructors who teach that/those course(s). During your phone interview with the counselor, ask if so-and-so will be teaching this class and that class. Some of those options may not be available.

This last idea probably is the best information, but is the hardest to acquire. The ideal thing would be to go to these different schools and speak with students about the professors/instructors, and about graduated students that they know who have moved into the workforce. This is a wealth of information. You might hear that Dr. Insertname is so freakin’ hard that nobody comes out of his class with anything higher than a C. “The guy’s a jerk and needs to be fired.” You get the idea.

If you live far away from these schools and cannot visit, which is most likely the case for some schools, you could try to get in touch with a class president or some other student; maybe one who is the head of a student group. At my college, someone headed up the Society of Physics Students. If you call any of these places, you might even get a student who answers in the department you’re calling. Speak with them if possible and see what they say about certain teachers.

If you don’t have a major, or are leaning towards several majors, your job just got a lot harder.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
Chrysaor: i'm actually not sure of the number of math credits required for a bachelors at U of O, but i do know i need one more 400 series. i want to go to grad school because i think what i want to do is be a math professor.

oosyxxx: to learn more stuff, meet people that will make it easier to get a job. or was this a joke that i didn't get?

Q: i plan to do this if i get accepted to CMU. if not, the choice is a lot easier, then i just need to call up boulder and see how much of my stuff will transfer. i did visit CMU to do an interview, i thought it was really good, and pittsburgh is nice. also, i like to ski a lot, which is a plus for boulder.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
oosyxxx said:
no man i wasn't kidding. so basically to get a job?
pretty much. if i do decide to become a math professor, i have to obviously. and if that doesn't work out, the NSA is the biggest employer of math majors, which sounds like it would be a really interesting job.