UnrealScript for bots and AI: bots for single-player level mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RangerWest

Mar 5, 2005
Hello,

I have been designing a level for a single-player mod, and I was wondering where the best place to learn how to import bots/monsters/opponents for the single player to battle might be.

Can pre-made bots/monsters with AI be downloaded from somehere?

I'm hoping to edit the bot's AI with UnrealScript.

The bots/monsters get more and more advanced, smarter, and more lethal, as the player approaches the mountain.

I'd also liked to have winged beasts/flying bots.

What's the most straightforward way to do this?

Thanks!

Ranger

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
The SkaarjMonster has some pretty good code in there. To make them more advanced add more clauses or advanced AI routines (such as weighing, learning, etc).

The best thing to do if you haven't studied AI before is to buy a book or learn from the internet game programming development sources.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
There is no such as thing as the best book for AI or the best book for AI in UScript. All books have their merits and so on. The best thing to do is, to learn how the AI routine works and then adapt it for UScript.

Take for example this, http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/.

This page is about A* and Dijsktra's method for pathfinding. When I understood more about the theory, the actual code to write the methods was very easy. It was the actual code design and theory that was the hard part.

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
Ouch.

Design is very important though. It's really more important than anything else. A crappy design leads to wasted time, as you add more stuff you have to constantly go back and change the design to suit your needs. A flexible design can be used easily for many different things, and is still very effective at doing all of them (though it is often more difficult to understand).