FTP Question to GriffinRun

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Alrighty, I sent in another Email to Griffinrun to find some answers about the problems with the FTP. Lets see how long before they reply and what their answer will or even if they have an answer. Here's the Email..

FTP Question: Why are the Download and Upload speeds so bad on the GriffinRun FTP's. On other FTP Server Sites, I can Download at 400-500kb/s & Upload at 80kb/s. On GriffinRun I get Download 12-25kb/s and Upload 12-20kb/s. I would like to be able to upload and download maps, demo's etc in a timely manner, yet my FTP doesn't seem capable of handling better speeds. Is there something GR can do to improve these speeds, I know its not my connection since my speeds to other FTP's are very good.

My IP is 64.94.171.234:5360

Any info or assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx David M. Gingerich..

<<BuA>> )V(@[.)_(.]øG

«BuA» )V(@[.)_(.]øG
Dec 10, 2004
Bronx, NY
Are you sure you're ready for another month of aggrevation and dispair. Remember what happened the last time you were ready to dump the server and leave me stuck with your misfits. Besides I don't think you have anymore hair on your head to pull out. ;) :D :lol: :lol:

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Hey, I like to know why they limit the speeds to their Freaking FTP's. Anyway they probably won't reply back to the email because they SUCK

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
There's the answer.. Still doesn't tell me why I get 25kbs Download and 12 kbs upload..

We restrict FTP transfer speeds to 512 kbps to ensure that the game servers are no impacted by FTP sessions.

Best Regards,
Kurt

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
In the continuing SAGA to find out why GriffinRun SUCKS for FTP. Here's my reply, his answer, and my new reply. :lol:

Can you explain this to me in Laymen's Terms.
If I need to D/L a Demo from a Match that is 20MB what would my D/L speed be? Every time I tried its only 25kbs. If its only 1 session why does it D/L so slow. If I got a reasonable speed of 200kbs I would be happy but 25kbs (MAX) is ridiculous. I think something must be wrong with my FTP if I am suppose to get 512kpps per session, can you please check into it..

Thanx Dave..
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 2:14 AM
To: David Gingerich
Cc: support@GriffinRUN.com
Subject: Re: GriffinRUN website feedback

It's 512 kbps per FTP session. Higher FTP speeds can have a negative impact on game server performance which is why we've limited it to 512 kbps.

Best Regards,
Kurt

--
Kurt Makse
www.GriffinRUN.com
Game server hosting for serious players
----- Original Message -----
To: Kurt Makse
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 10:22 PM
Subject: RE: GriffinRUN website feedback

Kurt, that still doesn't explain why I can only get 25kbs download. Is this 512kbs shared by all the FTP's? If so I could assume that Downloading at off peak hours would produce better speeds. Anyway its a shame that the speeds are so slow in this hi speed world. I like to add maps for testing and then remove them but with these slow upload speeds its to much of a burden. Takes me back to my dialup 56K days.

Dave..

Shattered_Steel

Birthed of Destruction
Mar 9, 2002
Kettering, OH
Does this guy even *read* your emails? It doesn't appear to be the case. Paraphrase of your emails:

Q: Hey server-guy, I'm getting crappy d/l speeds, shouldn't it be such-and-such?

A: Yes, it should be the such-and-such speed.

Q: Um, then can you freakin' fix it?

A: .........

«BuA»Meat

Silent Assassin
Oct 27, 2003
Québec
Sorry Taztg that you have so much trouble with them :(
i'll send MAd dog to the GR office and shoot the bastish with his shock riffle :D

MD, you might want to shoot twice cause you might miss the 1st one. :D:D:D:D:D

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
I figured out the Redirect Problem. They messed up the UT2004.ini file. It should be working now.

<<BuA>> )V(@[.)_(.]øG

«BuA» )V(@[.)_(.]øG
Dec 10, 2004
Bronx, NY
Yo Taz,

Just remember that your port is 5360 and not 5320. I don't want them accidently shutting me down when they get fed up with you messing with them. Aight!

But it makes sense to me tho. By limiting the amount of traffic to the redirect you increase the amount of bandwidth allocated to the game servers. You have to understand that eventhough you have separate computers for the game and redirect they still have to share the same network so by limiting how much bandwidth you have on one you have that much more headroom on the other. I know that it may sound fk-up, especially since some of the other server companies don't do this, but that's the makes the difference between our 20 pings and another server company with pings in the 40s, 60s, 70s all coming out of the same area in NY.

TAZTG

Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
They finally checked into it.

Try now. FTP speed has been increased from 128 Kbps to 512 Kbps. (It was supposed to be on 512 Kbps but wasn't).

Also note that you're talking about KBps. That's a capital 'B' for Bytes. We're talking about 'b' for bits. So that was 16 KBps (= 128 Kbps) as the limit before and now you're set to go as high as 64 KBps (= 512 Kbps or 1/2 Mbps).

FTP is throttled so as to not impact the live game servers.

Good luck.

Best Regards,
Rob