Battle City Public Beta

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
SolidSnake has released the public beta version of a mod he's been working on for about 2 weeks now, called "Battle City."
Battle City is an all tank warfare game in which players control the Goliath Mk II, a slight upgrade from the Goliath found in Onslaught. The mod is mainly about tank warfare focusing on attacking and defending using specialized weaponry. Purchasable inventory items are also available to the player to use to get out of sticky situations. While this version has been tested in both online and offline situations, it is possible to still find bugs occurring (hence beta). Bots have been programmed to use all weaponry and items somewhat effectively (they could be better as always).
Pretty interesting concept... I've been testing this out and I like it - but then again, I'm a Tank Whore. The download for this will be only up for a few days (as the server is loaned) but until SolidSnake takes it down you can get it here. We will try to have this mirrored on Fileworks ASAP.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
The game plays quite a bit differently due to the weaponry and inventory use. Try it for yourself, as it is only 4.5mb's after all.

but with bots its a little bit intensive on CPU
Yes. I've added to the bot AI that UT2004 normally uses to encourage more responses to the environment. I could spend more time to further optimize the code, but time isn't allowing for it at the moment unfortunately.

Here is another source of the download:
http://www.pcgamemods.com/10660/

Gnome

The Gnome that knows
Feb 23, 2003
Indianapolis
wormhole.tauniverse.com
Eh, it ran well with 11 bots when I tried it on my mediocre machine... the weapons are interesting, but they really need more distinctive explosions (at least, 120mm and concussion do). The spam grenade was a letdown... it didn't DO anything except waste my money! :(

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Didn't have much time to spend with it, but this was pretty fun. I didn't have any real slowdown and the maps looked great.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
The spam grenade was a letdown... it didn't DO anything except waste my money!
It's main use is for folling multiplayer players who are too dependent in their radar. Bots do use the radar to an extent so it fools them as well, but they aren't dependent on the radar as they use a lot of different warfare techniques.

the weapons are interesting, but they really need more distinctive explosions (at least, 120mm and concussion do)
I agree. I really should get round to adding some distinct effects for them.

maps looked great.
Thanks, but I can't take any credit here, as I didn't make them. I just modified Urban of course.

Gnome

The Gnome that knows
Feb 23, 2003
Indianapolis
wormhole.tauniverse.com
[SAS]Solid Snake said:
It's main use is for folling multiplayer players who are too dependent in their radar. Bots do use the radar to an extent so it fools them as well, but they aren't dependent on the radar as they use a lot of different warfare techniques.

Ahh, radar spam, I get it now :)