PDA

View Full Version : Midway Games: Unreal Engine 3 Licensing Interview

hal
26th Feb 2005, 03:05 AM
Team Xbox talks with Matt Booty, Senior VP of Product Development Worldwide, and Steve Crane, Executive VP of Product Development at Midway’s San Diego Studio. The topic centers around Midway's decision to use Unreal Engine 3 for it's game development tools.

So how many UE3-powered games can we expect to see at this year’s E3?

Matt B: Well, of course we have a lot of cool stuff in the works that we can’t talk about yet, but the main reason Midway got behind UE3 is because we need to build all kinds of games with it. We didn’t get the engine so we could do just one type of game, but rather work with it so we can do anything from Mortal Kombat to The Suffering. Obviously each game will have its own unique stuff, but any engine that we’re going to adopt across the company has to be modular enough and modifiable enough so we can use it for everything. We can’t focus on one genre based specifically on an engine.

bid
26th Feb 2005, 02:10 PM
Ah Midway, the company that gave us such illustrious PC titles, such as ...um ...um WAIT!@ ...lemme check the list of PC games published by Midway on their home page...
WTF? They don't even list games on the PC.

hal
26th Feb 2005, 02:25 PM
That's because they are just getting into PC games.

Selerox
26th Feb 2005, 03:17 PM
First time for everything. If it works better than Atari then it's all good.

shadow_dragon
26th Feb 2005, 04:03 PM
They're selling UC2 very well! The nice thing about MIdway is they're media psycho's, releasing ten tons of trailers, videos, bio's and any other random information they can.
It's a good thing me thinks.

bid
26th Feb 2005, 09:56 PM
That's because they are just getting into PC games.

I guess that makes sense: If I were one of the top PC game developers, I'd want my product published by a company with NO experience in PC games.

hal
27th Feb 2005, 02:31 AM
Well, I think the most important thing is that they be good at promoting games period. Midway is a good company and our experience with them has been nothing but positive. I think you should give them a fair shake.

Major-Lee-High
27th Feb 2005, 05:13 PM
YES!!!

MORTAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL KOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMBAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT!!!!