[Poll] Hijacking Vehicles?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you do with an open enemy vehicle in Onslaught?

• Total voters

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
W0RF said:
How do you treat enemy vehicles in Onslaught?

Who says Hal gets all the fun polls? :D
Depends on situation.

Usually I will take it and use it, because:

1) A Vehicle idling enough will eventually destroy itself, reverting its control back to the enemy

2) A Blown up vehicle also reverts its control back to the enemy

3) After I blow up your grenades, your Worfing is useless ;)

So I tend to take it and use it, especially if it's heavy firepower like a Tank. I've even jacked a levi or two; whoe lot of laughing while the other team literally bitched "Who the **** left the levi?!"

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
People that discard vehicles must die. Particularly, but not exclusively, the big ones like Goliaths and Leviathans. I see this all the time and it just makes me wish I could do a little team-killing.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Dark Pulse said:
1) A Vehicle idling enough will eventually destroy itself, reverting its control back to the enemy
Depends on how close it is to a node :)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Dark Pulse said:
3) After I blow up your grenades, your Worfing is useless ;)
I kind of like this. It means you'll go around launching munitions at every empty vehicle in sight, wondering if I was the last one to use it. :lololol:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Dark Pulse said:
You sissy.

:lol:

For me, vehicles were the new shine toy that you get for Christmas, but a week later you've forgotten all about it and are back to playing with your old toys.

This is just my personal tastes, and by no means a knock of gametypes with vehicles. ONS is a very good game. It's just not my thing. I enjoyed tinkering with the vehicles when the game first came out, but it got old to me. I'll still play an ONS match from time to time, but too much of it, and I've got to split.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Dark Pulse said:
Not really, since I know which ones are my team's.

That and you have an extremely nasty habit of using only Mantas. ;)
Tell that to Buddy Lee. He jacked the wrong Raptor last weekend. :rockon:

Also, there are no guarantees about a full set of nades working on a Bender or a tank, so my options are limited.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Dark Pulse said:
That merely controls how long it takes to do so.
No it doesn't, start up a botmatch, steal one of the bot's vehicles, and drive it right on top of one of your nodes and let it sit there. It will be there at the end of the game when you come back (assuming it doesn't get blown up by someone during the course of play).

I find that most often someone on your team just sees an empty vehicle sitting there and starts shooting it. Usually, they are shooting the link gun to try to repair and end up blowing it off the face of the Earth, but whatever.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
It only works when the element of surprise is present. Obviously not everyone is stupid, so the solution is to make them a victim of circumstance.

People like DP claim they're wise to me, but it doesn't make one bit of difference. Every week there's SOMEONE who falls for it just one time, and that's enough to have me giggling quietly here at my desk, just thinking about it.

Of course, the other choices in this poll are in fact legitimate. I, for example, find it much more useful to bury enemy vehicles to give my team an advantage. It works even better in XMP where vehicles don't respawn after X seconds.

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Hijack it, get it somewhere safely, repair it to full and then carefully use it against enemies. Run off as soon as someone shoots anything but an assault rifle in my direction.

(since being Worf'd)In case I see enemy grenades on it, I add a couple extra ones and go hiding as well :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
W0RF said:
It only works when the element of surprise is present. Obviously not everyone is stupid, so the solution is to make them a victim of circumstance.

People like DP claim they're wise to me, but it doesn't make one bit of difference. Every week there's SOMEONE who falls for it just one time, and that's enough to have me giggling quietly here at my desk, just thinking about it.
:lol:

I know what you mean, when we used to play more ONs at FragBU I used to do it all the time. The best was strategically placing them on the bottom of a Manta that has just spawned...and then you let them fly for a couple seconds and...."BOOM!" :D

I know I did it to Bobo, Huggy, and BulletProof at least twice during one FragBU.

Thanatos45

Frag-tastic
Mar 19, 2004
Dutchieland
I usually hijack it because with a vehicle (especially with a Manta or Goliath) I'm 10x better than on foot, sometimes I even hijack a Manta with 30 hp and don't even repair it... :p

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Sometimes I hijack enemy vehicles, but most of the time I just blow them up because I'm an idiot and don't think about hijacking it until after I've blown it up. That, and I don't really care for Onslaught too much, especially when the teams are uneven. I'm pretty sure a couple times someone's abandoned a Manta they were trying to attack me with only to have me hijack it and run them over, but I can't remember any specifics.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
While booby-trapping your own vehicles is certainly amusing, it doesn't help your team a whole lot.

1) You've removed a vehicle from your team's stockpile - and at best will kill one person with it.

2) You've removed yourself from the overall push for nodes

Vehicles need to be on their way to take an enemy node or defending your vulnerable ones.

The main type booby-trapping that can be effective for the team is to mine one of the enemy vehicles so that you can steal it.

Always, always, always hijack a vehicle rather than destroy it. Or at the very least, damage it to the point that it is on fire and leave it alone.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
hal said:
While booby-trapping your own vehicles is certainly amusing, it doesn't help your team a whole lot...etc etc yadda yadda
You DO realize that at best, w0rfing is but an occasional diversion for me... right? Even I didn't vote for it on my own poll!

Considering how bad I am at traditional gametypes, surely you don't think that I would waste an entire match in a game where I could actually contribute?
You've removed a vehicle from your team's stockpile - and at best will kill one person with it.
... assuming of course that I didn't hijack one of theirs to begin with.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Now I see your plan... infect the young gamers browsing these forums with your "strategies" in hopes that they all someday join MY team and annoy the hell out of me! :lol: