PDA

View Full Version : World Detail Settings low/high unfair?

hal
24th Feb 2005, 06:30 AM
This is the actual question that should have been posed instead of this one:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=154905

T2A informed us that World Detail settings being set low actually removes some of the foliage, whereas the foliage check box in the menu removes some of the layers of the terrain.

The problem was that I shot Dark Pulse who thought he was hiding behind a bush, which turned out to be a static mesh that low-world-detail removed. So, in effect, he was hiding behind... nothing!

I actually play with low detail and foliage/weather off. I really only play online with a few settings turned up/on. I do so to ensure high frame rates no matter what and to remove the stuff that I don't need to look at online anyway. My assumption was that everyone knew about this and did this.

The reaction I got from a few was that running anything less than the max my PC could handle was little more than a hack. An unfair advantage.

So... is it unfair to set the World Detail setting "low" from within the UT2004 menu?

hal
24th Feb 2005, 06:35 AM
Keep in mind, this is not a debate over whether or not it was smart of Epic/a mapper to put static meshes in the way of player action that are removable by a World Detail setting. It's simply a debate over whether or not it is unfair to turn down World Detail so that you see only what is necessary, to avoid distraction, and to maintain very high framerates in all maps.

B
24th Feb 2005, 06:40 AM
No I don't think it's unfair, everyone can use the low settings.
If you choose to use high settings that's your decision and you shouldn't whine about it.

Taleweaver
24th Feb 2005, 06:54 AM
No offence Hal, but these polls are unintentionally laughable. I can just see the Anti-TCC messages:
You've been kicked from the server. Reason: Low world detail, probably caused by a shi**y 3D card.
:lol:

Israphel
24th Feb 2005, 06:59 AM
Voted no...for the same reasons in my post in the foilage poll thread.
If anything, the settings are there to even out the differences between people with good systems and people with not so good ones. If I had all my settings at high I would be at a distinct disadvantage online as my fps would dip while others with better systems wouldn't lose frame-rates.

hal
24th Feb 2005, 07:44 AM
No offence Hal, but these polls are unintentionally laughable. I can just see the Anti-TCC messages:
You've been kicked from the server. Reason: Low world detail, probably caused by a shi**y 3D card.

Comedic value is a given.

W0RF
24th Feb 2005, 08:43 AM
I don't think you're lame for using low-world-detail and fragging DP. You can't control detail settings on other people's maps.

I DO think you're lame for using low-world-detail when you have a freaking Bat-Computer to play on. :P

Renegade Retard
24th Feb 2005, 09:26 AM
Hal is on a polling spree!!!

It's not unfair. It's an option built into the game, like changing crosshairs, FOV, etc.

hyrulian
24th Feb 2005, 11:37 AM
Hal, let's trade computers. Low world detail and no foliage or weather work perfectly fine on mine. :D

HuggyBear
24th Feb 2005, 11:56 AM
No I don't think it's unfair, everyone can use the low settings.
If you choose to use high settings that's your decision and you shouldn't whine about it.

:stupid:

Sir_Brizz
24th Feb 2005, 12:29 PM
I think it's stupid that you can remove that kind of stuff, because then it means if you like your game to look pretty and your opponent doesn't care, then you will automatically do worse.

However, I don't think it's unfair, because anyone can turn it off. just think it's stupid to include the bushes and grass and stuff if they can be easily removed by an option in the game. It makes it less strategic.

Thanatos45
24th Feb 2005, 02:28 PM
Don't see what's so unfair about it... I like my games to look pretty, if I get 1 frag less because of that, so be it. And besides, there aren't all that many bushes anyway.

BooGiTyBoY
24th Feb 2005, 02:37 PM
Things you DON'T have to change in your user/ut2004.ini files that I consider cheesy/lame/exploitable (Meaning in-game menus):
1) NOTHING!

Things that do HAVE to be changed/edited in the ini's that I don't consider lame, cheesy, or an exploit:

1) Setting your vehicle horn 1 key
2) Custom Crosshairs

Anything else and yer' gonna have that ONE person that says "Oh that is teh ghey!"
(yes.. I'm usually that one person too)

Renegade Retard
24th Feb 2005, 02:40 PM
1) Setting your vehicle horn 1 key

I've never done that actually.

HuggyBear
24th Feb 2005, 03:46 PM
You'd think I'd set my mouse buttons to swtich to different weapons, but NO, I have them mapped to horns. I guess that says much about how I play.

JohnDoe641
24th Feb 2005, 03:46 PM
It's not unfair at all, but I really can't add anything that hasn't already been said.

Though if you take a look at some players settings, they look like the graphics are from 1989. :c

-AEnubis-
24th Feb 2005, 05:00 PM
I like to dance naked in front of my pets.

LooseCannon
24th Feb 2005, 05:15 PM
^^^^^^^ I'm with naked.

Yeh, right. :)

AMmayhem
24th Feb 2005, 07:16 PM
just think it's stupid to include the bushes and grass and stuff if they can be easily removed by an option in the game. It makes it less strategic.

Thank you. Why have a game with awesome graphics if even those that can run them are just going to turn them off?

OH! Or we could just start playing in maps that are simple polygons so we'll get great frames and nothing to obstruct our view! :rolleyes:

Dark Pulse
24th Feb 2005, 08:06 PM
Would I say they're unfair? No. Some people can't render them all that well, I know that.

But I also say it's not exactly right to whore settings just to get Framerates, especially since Online Framerate is capped to 85 anyway. If your card is pulling 120, but is limited to 85, it's gonna force it to 85 - might as well turn some **** on.

Therefore, no vote from me.

Mr. Scary
25th Feb 2005, 03:51 PM
That's crazy to think that a perfectly legit way of increasing your fps and pc performance online would be considered a cheat/wannabe hack. I mean, if you had a 3rd party program that didn't come with the game that would eliminate items or even a stupid bush, then yeah, it's a hack.

shishkabobalator
25th Feb 2005, 04:01 PM
Its perfectly fair.

Hiding behind a bush from high powered weapons seems Darwin Award worthy to me.

Renegade Retard
25th Feb 2005, 04:26 PM
Its perfectly fair.

Hiding behind a bush from high powered weapons seems Darwin Award worthy to me.

:lol: I was going to make a comment about Dark Pulse being this week's Award winner, but I've picked on him enough the past few days. I don't want him to take it personally. ;)

hal
25th Feb 2005, 05:01 PM
Would I say they're unfair? No. Some people can't render them all that well, I know that.

But I also say it's not exactly right to whore settings just to get Framerates, especially since Online Framerate is capped to 85 anyway. If your card is pulling 120, but is limited to 85, it's gonna force it to 85 - might as well turn some **** on.

Therefore, no vote from me.

I think you're missing a part of what I'm saying.

I disable it so that I will NEVER drop below 70 fps no matter the map. I don't care if I get 300 fps on a map that I know will only be capped at 85 online. I just don't want to deal with the distraction of having dropping frame rates... and I certainly can't be bothered to tweak my settings between map changes.

Now - if I had a system that would guarantee me that no matter the map and the activity taking place in the middle of it, that I'd never ever drop below 70. I'd consider turning up some of the detail. Probably never the weather and foliage though. As long as those are optional according to the menu - they're staying off as they annoy me. :D