PDA

View Full Version : UWRC-TrainRace

stevenhorton
19th Feb 2005, 09:10 PM
Here is a teaser pic of my current map; you will have to watch out for trains as well as other players:D

Shrimp
20th Feb 2005, 03:56 AM
Ahh man that's awesome :D. I wanted to do a train map too :p.

Are the trains just movers?

stevenhorton
20th Feb 2005, 08:25 AM
Yes, I don't know yet how to do animations yet, so a mover is the easiest method for me. You also have to go into the collision properties and set BlockKarma to true, or the vehicles can drive right through the train. If you still want to do a train map, send me a pick or two and I will model an engine for you:)

carmatic
25th Mar 2005, 01:15 PM
what happens if someone gets hit by a train? and how will this affect the gameplay through the level... like ive been in custom deathmatch maps where theres a train that simply dashes through the level every 20 seconds or something, and crosses the entire level in just a few seconds, but in unwheel , im guessing that the cars have similar speeds to the train, if not faster, so maybe we can have cars that go alongside the train, and the train tracks cross the car track after that, and players can see if they can cross the tracks before the train does

stevenhorton
25th Mar 2005, 05:20 PM
There are 4 trains running constantly in the map, and naturally, my road wanders over the tracks several times:D

Smokin
25th Mar 2005, 06:09 PM
thats looking like a really cool track well done!

I have made 3 models that you could use, the textures were cut out of photos.

carmatic
25th Mar 2005, 10:30 PM
cool stuff, smokin... now thats what i call photorealistic!

anyway, umm... about these movers, are they the same as the doors and elevators that you find in normal deathmatch levels?how did you make them move like a train

Smokin
28th Mar 2005, 01:28 AM
I am also modeling a crane which is around 800 polys.

If there is anyone good with photoshop or simlar that would like to redo some of my textures as they arnt very good at the moment it would be a great help as i only know the very basics with photoshop.

stevenhorton
28th Mar 2005, 08:21 AM
Nice job Smokin:) My train and map are set in the 50's, so it has old gas stations and buildings. Some of the buildings you sent will work fine:)

Kantham
28th Mar 2005, 08:25 AM
I just hope that it won't kill players online with 200 ping

Jesus?!!! where the hell that train comme from?

*cough*

Hey steve , it's ben a while :)

I still need to learn about UV in maya , i hope i could help a little somehow still

carmatic
28th Mar 2005, 09:27 AM
I am also modeling a crane which is around 800 polys.

If there is anyone good with photoshop or simlar that would like to redo some of my textures as they arnt very good at the moment it would be a great help as i only know the very basics with photoshop.

hey this reminds me of that magnetic thing in as junkyard... reckon someone will put it in? this will be soooo like that beginning of that highway 17 map in half life 2....

stevenhorton
28th Mar 2005, 03:46 PM
"umm... about these movers, are they the same as the doors and elevators that you find in normal deathmatch levels?how did you make them move like a train" I have one piece of the train that is the base mover, the rest will follow if you give them the same tag as the base mover. One set of trains are simple rotators, they simply go in a circle. The passenger train only goes in a straight line, then gets turned around outside the map area for a return run.

Smokin
29th Mar 2005, 09:47 PM
Here is a pic of 5 other building models that i have made.

stevenhorton
31st Mar 2005, 08:39 AM
Smokin, I have a mesh for the top right textured building, but not the others. Any chance you can put the others on the server:)

Smokin
1st Apr 2005, 08:40 PM
I have uploaded an updated building package with an extra 7 building tiles to the FTP.

stevenhorton
2nd Apr 2005, 08:05 AM
I downloaded them Smokin, thanks:)

stevenhorton
6th Apr 2005, 11:10 PM
TrainRace is now about 90% finished:)

Kantham
7th Apr 2005, 12:44 AM
Cool , i hope it won't be screwed up online (the trains)

stevenhorton
7th Apr 2005, 08:30 AM
Umm, you would have to say something like that:P I never gave that any thought. Looks like I need to do some research now.

Kantham
7th Apr 2005, 10:05 AM
I have maked a map lately , with some constant movers

And the trains where messed up when i maked attach movers to the lead train.

UltraNew-B
9th Apr 2005, 08:42 PM
Looks Sweet Steve, I expected nothing less from you :)

My only suggestion would be to add some more rocks/trees/grain fields or something to break up the large expanses of green. :)

Regarding the movers, if they do not reset after a round, Shrimp may be able to look at some code from Red Orchestra, they have code that resets movers after rounds (I think) ;)

Kantham
9th Apr 2005, 08:48 PM
OMG , NEWB is back :notworthy:

jerdaygo
9th Apr 2005, 08:57 PM
Looks Sweet Steve, I expected nothing less from you :)

My only suggestion would be to add some more rocks/trees/grain fields or something to break up the large expanses of green. :)

Regarding the movers, if they do not reset after a round, Shrimp may be able to look at some code from Red Orchestra, they have code that resets movers after rounds (I think) ;)

Hey NewB long time no see, hows it going?

UltraNew-B
9th Apr 2005, 09:17 PM
Hey NewB long time no see, hows it going?

I'm doing ok jer, i have to move, so that kinda sux, but other than that, wonderful !! I've been keeping myself busy working on (and learning to map with) HL2DM and CS:S maps lately. I entered and lost the HL2DM competition, but i had fun learning :)

http://img164.exs.cx/img164/4706/ultranewbbastion049qo.jpg
http://img164.exs.cx/img164/4224/ultranewbbastion055cn.jpg
http://img164.exs.cx/img164/6144/ultranewbbastion019yp.jpg
http://img156.exs.cx/img156/4873/ultranewbdistrict3304.jpg

stevenhorton
9th Apr 2005, 11:19 PM
I love the look of sunlight in Half-Life, it is way beyond what I can do with UT2004. Very nice architecture in your map, especially the castle/fortress one:) I am just getting to the deco layers, as usual, I had performance issues with too much detail.

Kantham
10th Apr 2005, 12:38 AM
They are all for bot matches or for SP?

ProjectX
10th Apr 2005, 03:41 AM
I love the look of sunlight in Half-Life, it is way beyond what I can do with UT2004. Very nice architecture in your map, especially the castle/fortress one:) I am just getting to the deco layers, as usual, I had performance issues with too much detail.

Personally I prefer the lighting in T: DS but I love the water in HL2.

stevenhorton
10th Apr 2005, 08:19 PM
ProjectX, the Thief series are my favorite games, but I coudn't stay interested in Thief 3. Could post a couple of shots from Thief 3 that show the great lighting?

ProjectX
11th Apr 2005, 02:02 AM
I'll show you one from my upcoming map

EDIT: hee it is, mmm... Unreal Ed with realtime shadows...

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs24&d=05151&f=mymap.JPG

stevenhorton
11th Apr 2005, 07:22 PM
Looks good ProjectX:) But, is there no sun lit sections to Thief DS:P Btw, I downloaded the editor, but haven't installed it yet. It looks different than the UT2004 one.

JACK SH!T
11th Apr 2005, 11:10 PM
k, lost me, what editor is it?
BTW, I have the dreaded "White" screen of death on my 2k4 editor. How do I reset it?
**EDIT**
Never mind, I read the thread, now I get it :lol: :rolleyes: :D
Anyone have access to the Doom3 Engin? Or is it the same as the HL engin?
I don't have either game..... :( , but I did d/l the doom3 demo.

ProjectX
12th Apr 2005, 02:10 AM
Yeah I got doom 3, textures are crap

Looks good ProjectX:) But, is there no sun lit sections to Thief DS:P Btw, I downloaded the editor, but haven't installed it yet. It looks different than the UT2004 one.

it's pretty much the same as Unreal Ed it's just got a few more extras, and no, it doesn't have a sunglight actor, but why would the game need one?

stevenhorton
13th Apr 2005, 12:17 PM
How does the editor do moon light, which is closer to sunlight than any other light type?

ProjectX
13th Apr 2005, 04:53 PM
it does it using a spotlight I guess. Through windows it uses a spotlight with the window texture assigned to it so that it projects through the window.

Also it has an easy-to-use script editor, something that UE3 is apparantly getting. I've messed around with a few things and made a few new enemies, no coding required ( a fire demon (following a tut), a gas demon and a water demon)

Smokin
20th Apr 2005, 08:09 AM
If you want any models made up PM and i will have ago at making them for you.

UltraNew-B awesome map, I to have started to learn how to map on the HL2 engine this is my CS-S map. I love the texture database its a great help for mapping.

stevenhorton
20th Apr 2005, 03:41 PM
Looks good Smokin:) I don't need any more meshes, that part of the map is finished. It's all the little loose ends I am busy fixing:P

JACK SH!T
24th Apr 2005, 04:06 PM
steve, I d/l train race, but I'm still missing a package;

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-02-15_17.02]

Failed to enter G:\UT2004\Maps\UWRC-TrainRace.ut2: Can't find file for package 'UnwheelBuildingsetMesh'

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

stevenhorton
25th Apr 2005, 08:26 AM
Jack, new build is in your folder:) I just downloaded your new music; I like it Jack. However, my wife wonders if now you think I am a hillbilly since I have a brother named Steve:P Edit @ 3:58PM; what song was for TrainRace? I assumed it was UW_offthebeatentrack.ogg, because it isn't Rock & Roll. But you mentioned in another post it was Eight Leged Allyway, which also doesn't have words. Did you make UW_offthebeatentrack?

JACK SH!T
25th Apr 2005, 08:42 PM
Jack, new build is in your folder:) I just downloaded your new music; I like it Jack. However, my wife wonders if now you think I am a hillbilly since I have a brother named Steve:P Edit @ 3:58PM; what song was for TrainRace? I assumed it was UW_offthebeatentrack.ogg, because it isn't Rock & Roll. But you mentioned in another post it was Eight Leged Allyway, which also doesn't have words. Did you make UW_offthebeatentrack?
UW_offthebeatentrack.ogg was put in there by Jerdaygo. "White Noise" wrote it for a new map he's working on.
I put Eight Leged Allyway in there for you. I'm going to d/l the map again, then foin the server. 8:45 EST here now.

**EDIT**
Cool/fast map, like the banked turns. Going to make for some fast races :D The jump cought me off guard, but it works. I hit a train, and couldn't stop laughing. Is that the final roadway?
I was going to join you and Jerdaygo on the server, but he had it lockedout for testing. I'll try it again later.

stevenhorton
25th Apr 2005, 09:44 PM
Sorry Jack, we didn't know you were around:( The test wasn't very encouraging anyway; the trains don't work correctly online :mad: They update every second or so in a stop-action kind of way. I tried to join online about 9:44 your time, but couldn't find you.

JACK SH!T
26th Apr 2005, 12:13 AM
Sorry Jack, we didn't know you were around:( The test wasn't very encouraging anyway; the trains don't work correctly online :mad: They update every second or so in a stop-action kind of way. I tried to join online about 9:44 your time, but couldn't find you.
I was wondering about something on that map....either i missed a turn, or that's 1 long map.....I follow the road, go through the little town, get to the train tracks....and there is a boundry set??? What do I do at tht point? I assum that's going to be the lap point? It takes about 5 minutes to get there. Is the map really going to be that big :eek:
I saw what you ment about the trains not working right (when you left the map up). Was almost like a goast image or something. You knew it was there, but couldn't really see it. The build you sent me didn't do that during instant action. I know it's the same one you were testing. Almost looked like a Java error. Does UT2K4 use Java code for that type of app??
I know in UT99/UED2, movers use to be a pain in the ass to get right. Are the trains random, or are they activated by triggers? I'd open UED and look at it, but my editor has white screen, and I forgot how to reset it :( :rolleyes:
I remember it was something simple in UED2, but I forgot how to do it..............

Kantham
26th Apr 2005, 12:17 AM

Yup , it do so when you attach the train together. It's a rip off.

bobnine
26th Apr 2005, 01:59 AM
my editor has white screen, and I forgot how to reset it

In the top toolbar,go view,viewports,configure

JACK SH!T
26th Apr 2005, 09:52 PM
In the top toolbar,go view,viewports,configure
ahhh yezzzz, thanx.... Been about a year+ sence I've tried messing with UED. I opened the 2k4 UED once to see what it looked like, the next time it was white.
Thanx again :tup:

stevenhorton
27th Apr 2005, 03:56 PM
In order to keep low poly counts, I assembled the train from about 10 stock pieces. This build I made the trains a single mesh, (9800 and 6300 polys), but that fixed the passenger train:) The map will be a Rally, just one lap. You didn't miss a turn Jack, takes over 5 minutes:D

JACK SH!T
27th Apr 2005, 08:41 PM
In order to keep low poly counts, I assembled the train from about 10 stock pieces. This build I made the trains a single mesh, (9800 and 6300 polys), but that fixed the passenger train:) The map will be a Rally, just one lap. You didn't miss a turn Jack, takes over 5 minutes:D
cool, I thought it was going to be a race map. Geuss you'll have to loop the song I wrote for it (if you use it). Sound quality seems ok while playing it on the map. What's your ETA on completion? I'm going to run the map a few more times and see what else comes to mind.....