PDA

View Full Version : Light Focus Effect

Eizo
12th Feb 2005, 03:09 PM
This might be an interesting effect to try out in certain situations (spawning / lens flare or to give outside bits more of a sheen).

You may know the lens focus blur effect (I think fluxs uses it on his screenshots sometimes), I have seen in half-life 2 they have a 'fake' version of it for the menu screens, would it be possible to code it into DA:2?

How it works for photoshop: Copy a layer and gaussian blur it to your taste. Then apply a lighten transfer mode and adjust its opacity to what looks right (I tend to go by 50% max)

How it works in HL2: No idea. I think they just blur a 'layer' and fade it out.

This might add a little uniqueness to the game, but I dont know how hard it is to code and how much of a performance hit you will get.

]-UnderTOW-[
12th Feb 2005, 05:16 PM
It's HDR rendering. There are a number of ways to do it. FC 1.3 has 'real' HDR but requires SM3.0. UE3 also uses real HDR. Games like Splinter Cell and Tribes: Vengeance use a fake but frankly I find more effective as it isn't completely procedural and uncontrolable as FC1.3's is, and although FC1.3's produces some awesome effects there are a lot of times where it seems out of place.
HL2 doesn't use HDR at all in it's current state (code is there, but it's locked out), although since HL2 uses HLSL a custom make fake version can be easily implemented. However, Valve will be implementing HDR in the future with the release of a new HL2 SP level called the Lost Coast. Whether it's real or fake HDRR, is unknown but since they have a seperate level, you can assume that it may have to be manually built into the level/materials, which is good any bad. Bad that we can't use it in current levels, good because we have full control over it's use in modding. However this is just assumption, atm.

Getting such an effect into UT2004 would be very difficult. First, if you want it done so it's effecient, you'd want to do with pixel shaders and UT2004 is a DX7 engine (it is possible to do without pixel shaders, but it's slow). Second, to implement such an effect may require engine code, the rendering side of UT2004 isn't as open as HL2 or Doom 3, i beleive.

FluXs
12th Feb 2005, 05:35 PM
found a blur and bloom mutator for UT2004 which work okay, except the bloom is really FPS intensive and it makes stuff close up look weird as it bassically adds a new layer to everything ingame.

Blur mutator is kinda cool, we where thinking of using it when you die or maybe for concusion, stuff like that. hmm, maybe when you fall too. \o/

]-UnderTOW-[
12th Feb 2005, 07:02 PM
Like DA2 isn't slow enough already :P
I got intense framerate drops with 32 bots on my 6800GT

Eizo
13th Feb 2005, 10:40 AM
damn about the effect. I heard about that lost coast level on HL2 as well, I thought it had something to do with the new GeForce cards that support HDR, but your explanation made much more sense.

All in all, oh well :P