PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hunt Map Section

Hermskii
9th Feb 2005, 06:11 PM
There are well over 100 maps for Monster Hunt yet only a few are here. Who do I talk to in order to get a section created for Monster Hunt?

Hourences
10th Feb 2005, 02:31 AM
masschaos@beyondunreal.com

but have patience when you email him, hes currently away for work so might take some time before youll have a reply, A week or maybe two or more

NeoNite
10th Feb 2005, 05:35 AM
There are well over 100 maps for Monster Hunt yet only a few are here. Who do I talk to in order to get a section created for Monster Hunt?

Yes but the sad thing is that 80% of those maps aren't worth playing.

MassChAoS
10th Feb 2005, 03:59 PM
It is relatively simple to create the section, but I'll weigh my opinions in this case. Just because there is a MH section, will more maps be added? We have five, that I can find, on the site. For example, Air Buccaneers asked for a section and they have just 3 maps... not a valid reason to create the section really. Where are the other 95 maps?

NeoNite
10th Feb 2005, 04:03 PM
95? Better make that 195. But like I've said in my previous post, most of them are worthless.

MH has few mappers which actually try to make decent maps. Unfortunately, too few.

Shame.

Hermskii
10th Feb 2005, 05:56 PM
Ok Ok, yes there are several crappy maps out of the 195 maps that exist but there are still just over 100 that are and have to be playable because it's all there is right now. I will be happy to collect all of the maps and send them in but I thought the author had to do it? I'm not the author of any of them. This section for MH maps is long long over-due. Great to hear that you will consider this. Please Neo, lets focus on the idea that we might all actually start using the same version of the same map rather than talking about which ones suck. I wasn't about to send in the bad ones. This site has always been the best place to get maps and MH has suffered enough by not being represented here to the point that it has been passed up for years as a very viable option as a mod for UT. So, what do I do? Send in what I have? Just let me know Mr. MasschAoS. I know for a fact that there have been 3 very good maps made for MH in just the last 2 months and more are on the way! Thanks.

XepptizZ
11th Feb 2005, 08:37 AM
A seperate section with it's own colour and such? Nah, but I am pretty annoyed sometimes when it says "UT Other" maybe I should make a new gametype for UT wich actually is named "Other" :) . And also If I don't know where to get the mod for it, but that's not NC related.

AMmayhem
11th Feb 2005, 12:12 PM
It would most likely appear with the UT name coloring, only instead of being under UT:Other, it would be it's own Monster Hunt section. Much like the other gametypes are split up within UT.

Nahand
11th Feb 2005, 01:26 PM
... exactly: Unreal Tournament: Monster Hunt MOD. MassChaos, the maps are indeed few, but are the best for the gametype. I sincerely believe there will be more good ones, eventually. Nevermind those 95 or so that aren't here. Believe me and NeoNite when we say they *really* aren't worth it ( story - see post #317 or so (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=129272&page=11&pp=30) ). There's just a need to add the new gametype to the list, what's that all about new colors?!... MOD-wise, Monster Hunt and JailBreak are the top 2 mods for UT, IMO. I think it deserves its own gametype differentiation, but it's up to you, MassChaos...

Hermskii
11th Feb 2005, 06:53 PM
Yes! All I want to be able to do here is to go to the home page and click on the button near the top marked as "Maps" and have it connect to the map search page. Then, in the drop down options for the field marked "Game:" I'd like an option marked "Unreal Tournament - MonsterHunt" right there with all of the other UnrealTournament map types. Then, I just want to hit search and get a full alphabetical listing with all of the maps in the data base. So what is the story with sending them in? Do I have to be the author or should I just start sending everything I have? There has long been a need for this based on many other sites I've visited where everyone is always trying to get a map collection for MonstHunt together. This site should have the biggest and best collection of MH maps just as it does for DM, CTF and everything else. Thank you!

Nahand
11th Feb 2005, 06:56 PM
... not sure for some "specimens" of MH mappage... still, you can submit maps of other people to NC, provided you then select/write the author's nick in the appropriate field... or leave in unknown...

NeoNite
12th Feb 2005, 06:46 AM
"Unknown" maps aren't recommended ^_^

Mh-barrier deserves a place on NC3 imho.
The "tges" maps as well, you'd probably have to contact Boomboy...

Cardiologist made some maps, his latest is worth a spot on NC3. Still in beta though.

Nahand
12th Feb 2005, 10:29 AM
... yes, i explained unknown because it is an option, although i definitely prefer that the real author registers him/her -self in NC, and then submit what he wants from his mapping pool. Could be a good way to filter, but then again, it depends of the awareness of the mapper, and judging by some (awfully lots, actually) maps, i'd be cautiously receptive anyway...

MassChAoS
12th Feb 2005, 12:28 PM
You can upload maps from other authors, but you could at least take the time and look up the author either from the readme or in the game and put that in the Author field on the map submission page. We do take unknowns, regardless.

Mister_Prophet
12th Feb 2005, 02:15 PM
I don't see why not. Even if they suck, there are plenty of DM,CTF,DOM,AS,ONS,BR,and others that also suck.

XepptizZ
12th Feb 2005, 03:03 PM
"Unknown" maps aren't recommended ^_^

Mh-barrier deserves a place on NC3 imho.
The "tges" maps as well, you'd probably have to contact Boomboy...

Cardiologist made some maps, his latest is worth a spot on NC3. Still in beta though.

Why would something "deserve" a spot? IMO, every map deserves it.

Nahand
13th Feb 2005, 08:24 AM
... that... is an arguable statement. While every map should thearethically "deserve" to be uploaded, some are of brutal lack of anything worth even to clean shoes. I stick to that 'all for all' doctrine only because of NC's sake of a comprehensive map database. Again, that doesn't mean i don't have a personal view on some things...

NeoNite
13th Feb 2005, 09:05 AM
It's just me I guess. I've eh.. played most maps for this gametype...

Let me describe some of those unknown maps.
One of them spawns players in a long box room. Grey-white texture.
At the end of the room is a customised bossmonster (was it a titan or queen I forgot) which immediatly attacks you and instakills you.
AFO map I think.

If you manage to bother killing that monster, you end up in the final second box room with a large skaarj with megahealth and a superduber deemer.
That's it.

Most unknown monsterhunt maps are like this. Well, not exactly but.. you get the idea. Short, boring, brainless.

It sure as hell isn't up to me, I've given the wrong impression making it sound as if it was...

I think it's a terrible shame MH ended up being so cluttered with ****ty maps. Nothing I can do about it. =-/

All maps are allowed ok, then you'll end up with a small group of good ones and a ****load of sucky maps. Up to you guys. But yes, the same has happened to dm/ctf/as and whatnot. I simply fear the fact that the balance for MH for good/bad maps will be even bigger, in comparison to stock gametypes.

(And I mean that literally, a ****load.)

I'm glad they ignore coop though :O/

Oh wait, some looney came up with the idea of converting all Dkunreal levels (simply the retail ones but optimised for coop) to monsterhunt.
The only thing he planned (or he and his buddies if I got it right) on changing was adding monsterhunt-end eh teleporters? So the level would end like any other MH level.

But can you imagine playing unreal as a MH game? With no changes at all?

:(

And with UT weapons?

Well, went a little OT maybe. I simply wish the best for MH, that's all.

^_-

MassChAoS
13th Feb 2005, 11:33 AM
The section was created... oh yesterday.

NeoNite
13th Feb 2005, 12:01 PM
That's great, no really. I just explain things a little bit complicated sometimes, wish I could simplify but meh...

All the best for Monsterhunt. ^_^ And this will make a lot of people happy.
Ok, I'm out of this thread now :O) heh.

Nahand
13th Feb 2005, 03:42 PM
The section was created... oh yesterday.

... ahem... Monster* Hunt ...

MassChAoS
13th Feb 2005, 05:27 PM
yes, I know I cna't spell

Hermskii
13th Feb 2005, 08:28 PM
The section is now there so the maps will start being sent in. Thank you for that. The map that was mentoned before as one of the maps that should not get sent to NC3 is either VAKA1 or VAKA2. They are two maps that I agree should not be put up there but a VAKA3 did just come out and it is playable so it looks like the VAKA1 and 2 creator has been practicing and it has paid off.

NeoNite
14th Feb 2005, 05:51 AM
The section is now there so the maps will start being sent in. Thank you for that. The map that was mentoned before as one of the maps that should not get sent to NC3 is either VAKA1 or VAKA2. They are two maps that I agree should not be put up there but a VAKA3 did just come out and it is playable so it looks like the VAKA1 and 2 creator has been practicing and it has paid off.

Well, if you had carefully read the big monsterhunt thread on the UT forum ^_^ (maybe you just forgot heh), the author posted and mentioned those two maps were jokes.
Big surprise really... :O)