Newbie with bizarre problem...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Valandar

Feb 6, 2005
Greetings and thanks for listening to a n00b

Okay, I've had Unreal Tournament GOTY sitting on my CD spindle for about 2 years now, and recently decided to re-install it.

However, I have discovered a problem that is confusing the heck out of me.

I have all my folders to display hidden and system folders.

Yet, for sume reason, the UnrealTournament/System folder does not show.

It's definitely there... if I try to create a folder called System in my UnrealTournament folder, it says it cannot because there's already one there.

Again, I have it set to SHOW system folders... yet it does not show. I cannot browse to it, nothing shows up in a Search, and I cannot find it while browsing from an "Open" dialogue in any program.

Anything I can do here to open the .ini files there?

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
Welcom to BUF Valandar!
Man, . . . . thats a strange one. ~
well , you installed UT "of coarse" Did you install any of the bonus packs? More importantly the Epic 436 patch? I dont know if this would affect it but the patch lets you run Unreal without the CD. Dought it but it might have some thing to do with it?
Also what OS are you useing. Can you see any of the other folders?
Maps,Textures,Sounds,Music,Web,Cache,Help,Logs?
Does UT start up normaly and play?
That a weird one !

Valandar

Feb 6, 2005
kortniechan said:
Welcom to BUF Valandar!
Man, . . . . thats a strange one. ~
well , you installed UT "of coarse" Did you install any of the bonus packs? More importantly the Epic 436 patch? I dont know if this would affect it but the patch lets you run Unreal without the CD. Dought it but it might have some thing to do with it?
Also what OS are you useing. Can you see any of the other folders?
Maps,Textures,Sounds,Music,Web,Cache,Help,Logs?
Does UT start up normaly and play?
That a weird one !

Okay, I'm using Windows XP (NO SP2 installed, thank gawd).

I cannot see Cache, either.

And I installed the 436 patch.

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
hmm thats indeed really weird :con:

while you install UT, it should made folders and put its files in it, so the folder should be visible.

Press ctrl A to see what windows is saying about the hidden folders.
after that, deselect everything, and check the folders properties, to see if there is really nothing in there.

what you can do else, is to reinstall the game in a completly different folder, perhaps its just a install error, because you said you didnt use the cds for about 2 years :/

Valandar

Feb 6, 2005
Predcaliber said:
hmm thats indeed really weird :con:

while you install UT, it should made folders and put its files in it, so the folder should be visible.

Press ctrl A to see what windows is saying about the hidden folders.
after that, deselect everything, and check the folders properties, to see if there is really nothing in there.

what you can do else, is to reinstall the game in a completly different folder, perhaps its just a install error, because you said you didnt use the cds for about 2 years :/

Well, the game plays, and I can unzip files to the System folder... but I cannot view those folders.

And the install is very recent. As in a week ago.

I hit Ctrl-A, and the number of items selected matches the number of visible items... WITHOUT the System or Cache folders.

I checked the folder properties, and it IS set to show hidden folders.

I'm about ready to restart into Safe Mode, then a DOS window, to see what shows up there.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
Valandar said:
Okay, I'm using Windows XP (NO SP2 installed, thank gawd).

I cannot see Cache, either.

And I installed the 436 patch.
AHHHH i know what it is. Are you logged in as system administrator? If you installed it under a diferent user name you wont be able to see the files.
make sure you log in as system administrator and check the permissions on that program or file types. I ran into this on my friends computer , they run XP as well. Gawd f00king hate XP. lol

Valandar

Feb 6, 2005
That's the problem - this is the only profile on the system.

HOWEVER, I was able to see the folders in Safe Mode...

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
yep. Theres some permissions setting somewhere in there to display the files, you gotta find it . yeah, I hate XP cause it has all that Xtra unneeded crap, I use 2000, much simpler and less hassle.
Are you able to edit the .ini in safe mode?

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Tools: Folder options: View: Hidden Files: make sure "Show hidden files and folders" again, even though you already have it set. See if that works.

Then go into the folders that were hidden and uncheck "Hidden" in thier attributes. D:

Last edited:

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
JohnDoe641 said:
Tools: Folder options: View: Hidden Files: make sure "Show hidden files and folders" again, even though you already have it set. See if that works.

Then go into the folders that were hidden and uncheck "Hidden" in thier attributes. D:
I've confirmed that to be an issue in Windows XP Home; I saw it on a friend's laptop. Even if "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is set, and "Hide Protected Operating System Files" is not set, the System folder in UT never seems to show up. Boo for XP Home, the worst OS ever. :mad:

[ Addendum ] Of course, this problem doesn't happen in Windows XP Professional, which is closer to being a "real" OS than XP Home is. Don't know if this happens in XP Home SP2, though.

Last edited:

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
hm with some compilers you can play it under Linux then perhaps Valandar. (its a free OS)
As I am not a Linux expert, with only having 2 distributions (fedora core and Redhat) I wish you good luck finding your distribution and gigs downloading it ;)

Last edited:

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
Seriously , I is not the "Show hidden folders"
In XP there is also a file type permissions setting. It stops users from seeing file folders. :lol: