Cannot connect to LAN... in the SAME room!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
My roommate and I were trying to duel today and no matter what we changed, I couldn't connect to him, and he couldn't connect to me. Our computers are 3.5 feet away from each other. Is there some setting like "bAllowPeopleToConnect" that I'm missing??? :(

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
If the computer acting as server is running a firewall (including Windows XP's built-in firewall), check its settings to make sure it is not preventing UT2k4 from listening on ports 7777-7778, and that it is allowing incoming connections from computers on your LAN. Try disabling the firewall on the server (and possibly the other computer as well) to see if that is what is causing the problem.

In your UT2004.ini file, in the [IpDrv.MasterServerUplink] section, make sure ServerBehindNAT is set to False. This is the default, but it may have been changed.

This is all I can think of for the problem you are having. Good luck :)

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well I've got a silly question for you but, exactly how are the computers connected? Is it using a crossover cable or is it a building LAN/WAN?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
That is not a silly question.

Also, if you don't need the net while you are playing, remove it from the equation. Cable modems sometimes don't like to give out multiple IPs, so if you are not routed correctly, then one machine gets a wan ip, and the other doesn't, different subnetmasks happen, and no talky talky.

So basically, you got a lotta details to liberate.

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
Problem solved. It was zone alarm on stealth mode. Once we turned the settings down to medium protection it let us connect to eachother. T2A still says I look like i'm running with a strobe effect but my ping isn't the problem for obvious reasons, any suggestions on the skipping?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Our temporary solution was hooking up the compies through a crossover cable, but I finally realized I had ZoneAlarm set to "don't let in any connections." Probably why no one has been able to direct connect with me in AIM... :shy:

dXII][Pa

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Jan 3, 2004
Back in UT I remember playing a friend on lan. He had a really slow laptop and when he moved it was just like a strobe effect as you say. Dunno if this is the same problem though.

nick89

Mr High Ping
Dec 20, 2004
Ha Glad you got it sorted out :2thumb:
me and a mate were trying to play an old game called Dark Reign the other day which uses IPX stacks -
I had to bypass my router
Set up a IPX VPN
Change Firewall Settings

and it still didn't work lol :lol:

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
dXII][Pa said:
Back in UT I remember playing a friend on lan. He had a really slow laptop and when he moved it was just like a strobe effect as you say. Dunno if this is the same problem though.

I hope it's not my comp, thought I wouldn't be suprised. I get pretty solid framerates. It's been acting up as of late though and the two culprits could be my power supply or my graphics card. Since a new PSU is only around 100 dollars, i'm hoping that is my problem. :eek:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
does one of you have a 10mbit NIC?

If you play as a listen server, you will see everyone move "in packets", so it won't look fluid, and if anything slows the connection between you and the client down more, it get's choppier. I never could do listen on lan, because of that. It was just too weird, I'd always make my other buddy serve, before we had a dedicated *nix box.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Nah, we both have the standard 10/100 Ethernet jams. I don't really mind the "strobe light" movement because I get used to it, but you're saying there's no way to fix it?

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Correct.

I'm saying the only way to fix it is a dedicated server.

So yeah, basically, there is no way to fix it. That is afaik, but logically speaking, it doesn't make sense, unless addressed directly by a mutator, or patch, that anything could fix it. I can't even see simlatency doing it, but that is the only thing I would think to try.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I don't get it. Care to explain? Everything sent through a network is in packets; why would it matter if it was going through a dedicated server? Our connection from one computer to the next is much faster than to any server, hence why it doesn't make sense to me why we couldn't get packets back and forth quicker so it'd be smooth. Or is it because the connection is so fast?

Bah. Network crap is... crap. It makes no God-damn sense. Ketnar is a 933 P3 over who knows what connection; it can't be quicker than a 2.8 P4 over a friggin' LAN, so it makes no sense how a dedicated server could just magically fix things. :(

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
If you are having speed issues from the client side, then I'm not sure what the deal is... The issue I'm talking about though shouldn't make the connection feel slow. You will see all the clients at a 0 ping, exactly as they are, and they should have a LAN quality ping to you as a listen server, no problem, from the serving machine though, they will simply appear dusty, like the render of the clients is on a different, slightly lower clock cycle then the one you, and the world operate on, so it appears a litte dusty.

It should be more like the player pawns are "tearing", but not so slow that they are "warping", and really only should be an issue to people who's visual perception is sensitive to stuff like that. I always made my other friend serve, because it didn't bother him, nor effect his game, as it did mine.