PDA

View Full Version : UWRC-Grande Vallée

Kantham
4th Feb 2005, 10:01 AM
a map i am working HARD on

the is multiple tunnel , mountain ride (a bit like in nfsu 2 in jackson height)

i maked a custom skybox for it , the fps will rule ,

ATM , i need to put somme blocking volumes all over the road , so the cars won't leave the track :D

i am not sure if bots will 'play' , and the BIG YELLOW truck don't fit in (anyway , who cares :p)

i tested it multiple times (whitout any border!!!!1)
and i had an insane fun with , so i just hope to finish it soon as i can
and make the more dencent as possible

PS- the map size with vehicle is almost perfect ...

i want an industrial district (from far)
a little part of city , multiples tunnels , lots of details (simple layout and lowtriangle meshes)such as coronas ...

-kantham

Fraggee_Rok
4th Feb 2005, 12:38 PM
That's looking good!
"So whatever do you need blocking volumes for?" :p
I'm very much liking the sweeping corners, as they look lovely for drifting around. Also, I can see that lit straight (right of top picture) becoming the spot of many an unofficial drag-race :)
Keep us updated if you would - thanks for showing us your work.

Kantham
4th Feb 2005, 05:01 PM
there , a better shot of the valley

i keep on working on the terrain , to make it more look like a valley
i had to add fog , because i had 30 fps and so ,

now since i aded fog , i got around 60-70 fps ... so :)

you can see the hole inside the mountain .. there are the tunnels (DUH) :eek:

this map is insane , if you played NFSU 1 and/or 2 , you will realize that when you smash a wall like the one inside this map , the ravine is the next Destination !!!

and , yes , this is easy to drift inside this map , besause you can see the track on the way ..

the fog is set at 20 000 units , and the fps are very good ,

i keep working on it

ProjectX
4th Feb 2005, 05:26 PM
looks cool, don't forget to add loads of trees (look at UWRC-sherwood and UWRC-frons, UnWheel CAN take it) to the forest and also lots of grass, etc

Also: the things that make maps really dynamic and lively:

Ambient sounds to simulate the city and wildlife juxtapositions.

Movers (I've got a great aztec-themed rally map coming up and it's got some fun traps (the obvious swinging blade of doom, shooting arrows and stopping objects) to trap other players with (provided you aren't trapped first)

Kantham
4th Feb 2005, 05:43 PM
yes , thx for the package , i take a look on it

for the sound ambiance , i know what to do , but there is no much of them

and BTW , you use them too much , raise down the volume of your ambiant sound , they are anoying in somme of your work ,

good job on the mod nico :tup:

there is a cheap preview inside the level

Kantham
6th Feb 2005, 02:26 PM
don't worry for the moon on the 3rd shot , it look spheric in-game ;)

ProjectX
6th Feb 2005, 04:29 PM
don't worry for the moon on the 3rd shot , it look spheric in-game ;)

Terrain work is good, some nice formations visible, layers need work though because they are stretchy, lighting's passable, but there looks like there's very little sun(moon)light at all and that most of it's ambient (I know, I know, it's realistic, but then UnWheel isn't, so just make it look good), so tone down the ambient light and up the sunlight brightness. A trick I learnt is to have multiple sunlights and have them at different angles, each with different hues and saturations (leaving the manlight to have the highest brightness of course) this simulates light reflecting off of the surfaces as it naturally does and illuminating the rest of the world, and is more pleasing to the eye than ambient lighting.

Coronas are a bit big, remember subtlty is key (I know, i know red planet, eugh) and in a long line the effect multiplies exponentially.

Shrimp
6th Feb 2005, 05:17 PM
Nice so far :D. Looks rather atmospheric :)

Kantham
6th Feb 2005, 06:08 PM
tank you all

i have tested the map , it play VERY good ,
forget about bot suport , they are just ............. in all map
online play is just the big thing

the map is atmospheric and need good drivers ,
if you are the kind of full speed dude all the time , this map is not for you ..
there is 3 long road , the rest is all different

give me a good 1- 2 week and this map is completed ;)

Kantham
6th Feb 2005, 06:59 PM
:)

the water is done
the terrain need more layer , but gometricly done
the road is undercontruction , then i make vegetation

ProjectX
7th Feb 2005, 02:30 AM
if you are the kind of full speed dude all the time , this map is not for you ..

I drive like that in Urban circuit, you've gotta learn to use the skid to ure advantage. I once made it round without crashing once (only slowing down to skid)

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 07:51 AM
the brakes do the job + mousse steering

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 12:17 PM
:rolleyes:

now , i tested it with the newborders , THIS MAP IS FOR AVERAGE & PRO DRIVERS

or at least if you know what 'braking' mean

so , top speed cars have their advantage , while accel and handeling car own this circuit ,

i just wish that i will not get pwned in my own work :p

stevenhorton
7th Feb 2005, 03:56 PM
Looking really good:) And, about getting beat on your own track.....

ProjectX
7th Feb 2005, 03:57 PM
I like the choice of corona colours for the bridge, it's very cool!

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 04:24 PM
well , thx

[UW_OnRoad.ogg] damn , those elevator are long![UW_OnRoad.ogg/]

4 days and the map is

complete

carmatic
7th Feb 2005, 05:27 PM
or at least if you know what 'braking' mean

then why do some of the cars stop faster if you just let go of the gas, compared to if you actually brake?

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 05:29 PM
what car do that

carmatic
7th Feb 2005, 05:45 PM
the flair seeker

::edit:: oh yeah, dont forget to go crazy with layers... gamers love seeing that the ground far away looks kinda different from the ground theyre standing on

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 06:34 PM
:rolleyes:

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 06:35 PM
other of them

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 06:51 PM
but , bamn , the map is just coll in both ways ,

i want to make it reverse too ,

but , no One did that for a map , they do have done a night version of thier map , but i keep wait for your opinion for this

carmatic
7th Feb 2005, 06:57 PM
heheh ghost barriers... thats original

the terrain looks kinda solemn tho,with no bright lights to match the track itself...
maybe with so many lights to look at on the track it would kind of go well

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 07:01 PM
please , don't blame the lightning ,

i have done all my possible for this , and this is just great now ,

don't expect to fall of your chair while playing this map
it has just it's own kind/style

i added (Paul van dyk - nothing but you) to this map
the same track you have in NSFU2 , but this one was a remix

and , newey'' , i will put the map with both normal and reversed track ,

6(normal)+6(reverse)+3(the tune) mb = around 15 mb , not so bad , ?

stevenhorton
7th Feb 2005, 08:56 PM
Hmm, I saw something in todays pics I hate, road barriers that have uneven surfaces. The only thing I dislike about Nueb's UrbanCircuit are all the missaligned guard rails that snag your vehicle. You have those large HumanoidArchitecture cement bases that stick out into the roadway:(
One way to get away with that is to disable collision on those meshes. Select them all, go into mesh properties, CollisionProperties, and set them all to false....Please:P

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 10:21 PM
damn , mindnightair have its own style , i want mine too :P

and you will get stuck anyway because of the border alignement , this is not my fault if my roads are set to 1.0000 on the 3 axis , and i go inside UWtrackspeciality.USX and i put them , and , drag them on the road ''corecly'', they are all unfiting , so i needed to adjust them MYSELF

now , if i would set them all to false in collision , you could get stuck anyway ,

just drive carefully , this track is hard , but very good

bobnine
7th Feb 2005, 10:57 PM
Track looks awsome,cant wait to race it,except those transperent walls look abit strange.

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 11:06 PM
i decided to make them so , you can see the horizon a lot better , sure they are strange ,
midninghtair , ho yea , this map is very normal :D , i take my little civic all nite long roaming these nowere (holded) sky platfom , and do lots of 'jump' crap ,

I HATE THIS MAP!!!!!!!!!1 :p

*breathe*

4 day is a bit long since i know the advancement of my work
but i am not sure for the ctf map , i have worked a 'bit' on it
chek out for another thread for this map , kinda soon , yea

you may have noticed i map fast enough

Shrimp
8th Feb 2005, 01:31 AM
Looking good so far :D

Kantham
8th Feb 2005, 11:14 AM
remember this ''trax''?

carmatic
8th Feb 2005, 07:04 PM
yeah i have that song somewhere on my hard disk... 6:31, breakbeat... but i never play with any ingame music on anyway, i have winamp running in the background with internet radio streams etc while i play...

Kantham
8th Feb 2005, 08:09 PM
oh well , it is the song i chosen for Grande vallee

ProjectX
9th Feb 2005, 11:24 AM
oh well , it is the song i chosen for Grande vallee

wouldn't that infringe copyright laws?

After all it is owned by someone else and you're using it (presumably) without permission.

Anyway what's wrong with Strangelet's music, people always playing without music when his kicks ass!

Kantham
9th Feb 2005, 12:19 PM
wouldn't that infringe copyright laws?

After all it is owned by someone else and you're using it (presumably) without permission.

Anyway what's wrong with Strangelet's music, people always playing without music when his kicks ass!

i don't think so ,

but , since this is a mod .....

i am sure if i give it credit and just put it for the map , that should be fine
i mean , i don't modify the sound , apart that it is turned into ogg :p

ProjectX
9th Feb 2005, 12:21 PM
i don't think so ,

but , since this is a mod .....

i am sure if i give it credit and just put it for the map , that should be fine

OK, but: Legal Jargon:

UnWheel in no way is accepting responsibility for any damages to any party harmed by the creation of 3rd party content or inclusion of content from 3rd party sources on servers or distributed through the site itself.

carmatic
9th Feb 2005, 12:49 PM
i dont think that just because you put it on a post , lawyers will heed it... maybe they will have their own way of dealing with things like these,but lets hope that nobody gets into trouble... besides , yeah, if strangelet's still around he's the resident music maker anyway

Kantham
9th Feb 2005, 12:55 PM
hey guys ,

apart of nalicity , where i can upload the map ?

ProjectX
9th Feb 2005, 04:50 PM
I dunno but if you get it on Nalicity we can mirror it on BUs mirrors.

Kantham
9th Feb 2005, 05:53 PM
that's all rite ,

i will upload it to nc3
and Shripm will move it to BU

-gentle he

Kantham
9th Feb 2005, 07:50 PM
uploaded , must apear on the newest addition tomorow ,

stevenhorton
10th Feb 2005, 09:44 AM
Kantham, I can't find UWRC-Grande Vallée at Nalicity:(

Kantham
10th Feb 2005, 10:05 AM
yes hold on , it is 1 day of delay

jerdaygo
10th Feb 2005, 06:45 PM
OK, but: Legal Jargon:

UnWheel in no way is accepting responsibility for any damages to any party harmed by the creation of 3rd party content or inclusion of content from 3rd party sources on servers or distributed through the site itself.

This question is a main reason that for the time being I am only updateing my game server with maps from team members ;)

but i plan to download and check them all out ;)

bobnine
11th Feb 2005, 11:32 PM
Its still not on nalicity...

Kantham
12th Feb 2005, 12:06 AM
ok , after uploading a map , what do you need to do normally ,

i mean , I DON'T CLAMED THE MAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

bobnine
12th Feb 2005, 01:02 AM
lol,how did you forget to claim it?,youve uploaded alot of other maps before.

Kantham
12th Feb 2005, 08:44 AM
just a bad shot

bobnine
12th Feb 2005, 06:23 PM
This map owns,now one of my favorite unwheel tracks.

Although the barriers have odd colision,if your going fast when you hit one you get stuck inside it and have to reset.
The out of bounds volumes are to close to the track at some pionts.
The reverse version plays alot better than the normal one because some jumps are to close to corners and its hard to stay on the track when your turning a corner and the road drops away from beneath you.
The blocks with karma look strange when you hit them and they slide out of place,they dont look like things you would expect to move,they look like they're supporting the transperent walls untill they move,this makes it look unrealistic.

But everything ealse in the level looks good,and the level is realy fun.

Kantham
12th Feb 2005, 06:59 PM
yea , you need to watch your driving in this map , trust me

i don't have seen any other tracks in this mod that have the same speciality or style

i guess this map is well done , and i will vote for it each time i will play online with ppl

Shrimp
13th Feb 2005, 05:24 AM
Wow, really stunning map :D

I love the way you worked the terrain, roads, and tunnles together. Brilliant. :tup:

Just 2 things bug me:

First, the moving support blocks, seems odd that you can knock the supports right off the wall :p. These really should have been StaticMeshes, not Karma objects.

Secondly, the jump by the "Transparent Walls" sign was really getting to me. As I came around the corner, I bump the wall and get reset. I eventually made it around the corner without bumping, but as I was flying through the air I got reset - even though I was still above the road and not off the track at all. Perhaps some wire mesh fencing around there would be a better way of making sure people stay on the track, or even a blocking volume would be metter than resetting half way around the track after every failed attempt at the jump. I also prefer the reverse version of the map because of this, since I don't have to drive off the blind drops in the hopes of avoiding the out of bounds volumes.

Aside from those two things, this is an excellent track. It reminds me a lot of the hilly northern section of town in Need For Speed Underground 2 ;). The music adds to that feeling as well.

Really cool.

Kantham
13th Feb 2005, 10:17 AM
Aside from those two things, this is an excellent track. It reminds me a lot of the hilly northern section of town in Need For Speed Underground 2 ;). The music adds to that feeling as well.

Really cool.

yea, iknow the map is kinda 'odd' , but unwheel is :p

this is what i wanted , to make a bit of jackson height , i guess that jackson heigh sucked in NFSU2 , but the visual where awesome , and the music is from pau van dyke and it fit this track

thx for your review :D

carmatic
13th Feb 2005, 06:05 PM
hmm yes, i can see where the influences of nfs:u2 might have come into the map, even tho i've not really played that game before... like, seeing the lights from another section of the track as your going through a bend is a nice touch... and seeing buildings etc far away was nice too, but the section of road near the bridges were the best...and yeah, there are some places where jumping too high will get you reset pretty fast, probably you should have put warning signs beside the road, and a reset volume that's halfway down towards the water to go with it too

i dunnoe, but the more race tracks i see, the more i think that staticmeshes in tunnels is a really really good idea aesthetically...

Kantham
13th Feb 2005, 06:14 PM
so every one seem to apreciate it ^_^

so now , i wonder when i could play it on sniperman's server ...

stevenhorton
13th Feb 2005, 11:09 PM
You managed to take all my odd sized meshes and make them all work together :tup: I wish I could redo all the old road meshes so they snapped better and were all the same scale:(

Kantham
13th Feb 2005, 11:11 PM
You managed to take all my odd sized meshes and make them all work together :tup:

lol , yea , i had a hard time doing this :)

JACK SH!T
16th Feb 2005, 11:40 PM
Great looking map, but.....
I have only 2 problems with this map;
1-the road is too narrow and doesn't allow for driver error.
2-the road causes driver error... :rolleyes:
ok,ok, let me explain what I mean by that...
The narrow road is not really a big deal, just have to drive slower. However, every time the road elevation changes, it's a hard change. You seem to know how to make a nice curve, but every one of you elevation changes are hard angles. Not one rolling hill. Kindda' like this

____/\___/---\/-------------\__________/\_______/---------\___________

Try smoothing some of that out, and you just might have a winner on your hands. Right now I find it almost impossable to "race" on. Seems more like a crash course in drunk driving.... ;) :D :lol:

"Sherwood" is a good example of rolling hills, you can hit the highs and lows without spinning out.

Kantham
16th Feb 2005, 11:48 PM
well , i don't see what you mean by elevation thing (keyboard Artist drawing)

but the worse place in this map is on reverse , where you climb the big curve , you always get stuck in the first time , or if you don't mind , the 2nd one

yes the map is looking great , but the road are narow to get played Harder

the map is for player who don't refuse braking , and apreciate mousse steering

Shrimp
17th Feb 2005, 01:40 AM
I'm glad someone else also like mouse steering ;). A great addition if I say so myself :p.

JamesBong
17th Feb 2005, 10:03 AM
good job Kantham.... the map is definately a skillz honer.

i too use mouse-steering and love it. the fixed camera seems too limiting in seeing the upcoming road.

what happened when you, me and jack where racing it and i suddenly warped to 1st and my dot was way off the line?

its a great map.... me likes :2thumb:

ProjectX
17th Feb 2005, 12:44 PM
good job Kantham.... the map is definately a skillz honer.

i too use mouse-steering and love it. the fixed camera seems too limiting in seeing the upcoming road.

uhhh that's not mouse steering, that's the mouse-controlled camera.

Mouse steering is where you steer with the mouse. it gives you much finer control over the degree to which you turn. I would used it, but I'm too used to my ole keyboard controls.

JamesBong
17th Feb 2005, 01:22 PM
uhhh that's not mouse steering, that's the mouse-controlled camera.

Mouse steering is where you steer with the mouse.............snip

yup thats what I use, mouse to steer the car....... sheeeesh i know what mousesteering is :rolleyes:

ok.... back on topic

Kantham
17th Feb 2005, 01:26 PM
anyway , i have snowDream comming slowly , because i am blocked with theses project

the first attachment is a AIR fight ONS map that i dream of to make <<<< a big thanks to Stevenhorthon for the inspiration :)

the 3 others one is the best DM map i will ever make (rankin style)

ProjectX
17th Feb 2005, 03:41 PM
You are gonna ask permission for those meshes right?

Oh and Jeep, see my post (somewhere) on intelligence vs. no. posts.

Kantham
17th Feb 2005, 04:05 PM
PX , horton did those bulding , i will make my own one , for the textures , they comme with the game .

ProjectX
17th Feb 2005, 06:07 PM
PX , horton did those bulding , i will make my own one , for the textures , they comme with the game .

Oh I see, I just saw his buildings in that shot and assumed you were gonna use them.

JACK SH!T
17th Feb 2005, 08:45 PM
well , i don't see what you mean by elevation thing (keyboard Artist drawing)

but the worse place in this map is on reverse , where you climb the big curve , you always get stuck in the first time , or if you don't mind , the 2nd one

yes the map is looking great , but the road are narow to get played Harder

the map is for player who don't refuse braking , and apreciate mousse steering
Please don't get me wrong, I like the map(s), I'd just like to see the roadway a bit wider, or atleast move the boundries out a little, so you don't get stuck in a wall, or reset for taking a turn too tight or fast while trying to make move on someone....
IMHO making the track 2 cars wide is just too tight.... ;)
As far as that curve your talking about, I think it's much more brutal in the first map than in reverse. I'm just glad the checkpoint is at the bottom of it :lol: or I'd never get past it :lol:

JACK SH!T
17th Feb 2005, 10:54 PM
Please don't get me wrong, I like the map(s), I'd just like to see the roadway a bit wider, or atleast move the boundries out a little, so you don't get stuck in a wall, or reset for taking a turn too tight or fast while trying to make move on someone....
IMHO making the track 2 cars wide is just too tight.... ;)
As far as that curve your talking about, I think it's much more brutal in the first map than in reverse. I'm just glad the checkpoint is at the bottom of it :lol: or I'd never get past it :lol:
ok, just came from the offical uw server after playing your map alone with 4-5 diffrent cars....
I've had a drink or 2 (go figure) so I hope I'm not too harsh here. The map(s) are barely playably. If the roadway was any tighter, it would be unplayable. I'll give credit where it's do, it is a GREAT looking map, gets a "8" in that catagory, but game play gets a "3". :(
I think if you revamp the map and make it playable for all players instead for a few, you see more votes for it.
Think about it for a minute......It's a race map that you have to go slow on ??? :rolleyes: I might be going out on a limb here, but I think most UW racers want fast maps like "Suicide" "Ocean Run(1&2)", "Red Giant" or "Sherwood" (I could list 4-5 maps by stevenhorton that get voted on all the time).

Keep up the good work ;) one day I'll break down and open the ut2k4 ued for my first time :lol: and make UW map....
And for the "Tricky" map, I think most people see the big air in it, but it has nothing much to offer without a few modifications to make it a UW map. Just taking any map an slaping a UW tag on it, doesn't make it a good UW map. First off, you need to rescale it to the UW scale....ONS scale isn't the same as UW scale. UW is it's own game, not a UT game. It uses the 2k4 engin, but is it's own game, just as much as "Duffer Golf" is it's own game.

carmatic
25th Mar 2005, 01:46 PM
I'm glad someone else also like mouse steering . A great addition if I say so myself .

heh, i never knew what you were talking about about the supports being karma objects until i tried to go at this track using mouse steering... like, how on earth are you supposed to know how far you are steering with the mouse? like all i know most of the time is the car kept on turning when i wanted it to go straight, and the car only turned slightly sometimes when i wanted it to turn hard... if only when you steer with your mouse, it changes the view , as if the camera is mounted on the steering wheel... but of course the camera is floating behind the car or something, but like you know how far sideways to look if you want to turn...