Shack Talks Unreal Championship 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
ShackNews recently cornered Mike Capps, Epic Games President, and posed a number of questions concerning Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict. The two page interview covers the new stats/skills system, special moves, characters, movement, and more.

Mike Capps: There’s six. DM, Team DM, and CTF are required by law in an Unreal game. ;-) We’ve got Survival, which is the one-on-one king of the hill gametype. UC2 plays very well 1-on-1, so this mode is actually quite popular in our playtests.

Overdose is a free-for-all version of Bombing Run combined with Deathmatch. Everyone jockeys for position waiting for a radioactive ball to spawn at one of the predefined areas, and then the ball carrier tries to deliver it to one of the two goals. (Extra points if you make the far goal.) If the carrier builds up enough radiation from carrying the balls, they’ll Overdose, which makes them an unstoppable killing machine for a little while. This has been a real challenge to balance for slower and faster characters, but I think we’ve done a great job of evening the playing field.

Nali Slaughter is the other new gametype, a Skaarj training regiment that’s been added to the tournament circuit. Basically, you, um, slaughter a bunch of peaceful Nali, faster than your opponent. Did I mention this is a mature game?

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Nali Slaughter is the other new gametype, a Skaarj training regiment that’s been added to the tournament circuit. Basically, you, um, slaughter a bunch of peaceful Nali, faster than your opponent.

Wow. Epic is putting a slaughter gametype into a pro game. I can't tell if this is evolution or not ;)

C

Cuddles

NOOOOOOOOOOO UC2 is soo cool but i dont have a Xbox pitty me

Parser

Hello
May 7, 2002
England baby!
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
T-1 said:

That's quite a coincidence.

For the lazy among you who don't want to read the links.. ;)

T1 has worked on his mod called Slaughter for some time, and it involves the brutal carnage of murdering innocent Nali, much like the Nali Slaughter gametype detailed in the news post.

Last edited:

Ghost3021

Registered Hobbit
Nov 21, 2004
Behind you.
RegularX said:
Nali Slaughter is the other new gametype, a Skaarj training regiment that’s been added to the tournament circuit. Basically, you, um, slaughter a bunch of peaceful Nali, faster than your opponent.

Wow. Epic is putting a slaughter gametype into a pro game. I can't tell if this is evolution or not ;)
wtf T-1 has been working on this 4ever omg this is just CRAZY!
no way. i wonder if Epic looked at any of those links to get the idea :confused:
either way im pissed.

T-1

DFGHIDFJ
Jun 9, 2004
Now someone said something to me at one point amounting to "they've probably been working on Nali Slaughter longer than you, they just never announced it.". That's probably total bull****. I've been working on this since August 2004 and I've only worked on it about once a week for an hour or two AND I've been adding all kinds of custom weapons for use only in Slaughter which I'm sure Epic hasn't. And I'm only one person. Epic probably has a team of more than one person working on it from 9-5 on every workday. And they aren't adding any custom weapons either. If I had done it that way, then the Slaughter Public Beta would have been released back in September 2004, not in January.

Ghost3021

Registered Hobbit
Nov 21, 2004
Behind you.
thats BS they should at least acknoledge us for our (mostly T1's) work. i mean, thats just cheap using our ideas for a ...just never mind. that will teach modderz out there not to think of anything too simple based (killing nalis! :D) and releasing it to the public.
grrrrrrr
oh btw thanks for changing my name, hal :).

T-1

DFGHIDFJ
Jun 9, 2004
If Hourences can bitch about ONS-EarlyDawn, I sure as hell can bitch about this.

Ghost3021

Registered Hobbit
Nov 21, 2004
Behind you.
uh..thats kinda waht i said, i think...i'm REALY thinking bout emailing epic and co. to complain about this(i kinda map 4 slaughter and i am equaly :mad: ) :rant:.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
You do know that anything you create with the tools provided you by UT2004 are sole property of Epic Games, don't you?

However, I would think that they would have at least told you they were using your idea if they did indeed lift it from you. That's what I would expect anyhow.

This sounds less like Hourences complaint about the Dawn remake and more about the Doc_Edo complaints about Assault2k4.

Ghost3021

Registered Hobbit
Nov 21, 2004
Behind you.
ok, so we all angry. what now? epics just a bunch of asses, ive already said this, and now its time to get some air and cool down.....

edit: i would like to observe that after learning of epic's lowness, no one has posted here....hmmmm.........

Last edited:

T-1

DFGHIDFJ
Jun 9, 2004
Doc_Edo's complaining is kind of stupid because Assault was thought up by Epic for use in UT1, and he simply remade it. Putting it into UT2004 was a logical next step for the series. But at this rate, we're going to be seeing Jailbreak in UT2006. Where as ****ing Hourences is complaining about someone making a map playable that was NOT previously playable. Yet many people took his side when he got pissed about it. Now here I have something playable, and they use the EXACT same idea and name. Now, even if they came up with the idea independently, they COULD'VE googled for "Nali Slaughter".

Ghost: Don't email anyone. Wouldn't help anything and the only thing it could possibly do, even though I have no idea how, is get us into legal trouble. I was going to email the vice president of Epic since I found his addy on the epic website but I released that there's no point. It wouldn't help anything.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Well, look at it this way. Your mod is for UT2004 not UC2. Apples and Oranges.

Could they have come up with an idea similar to yours at the same time? I guess so. They think about this stuff 24/7. I have to think that it's unlikely that they just "lifted" the idea directly from you because it's so unlike the way that they operate. They just co-sponsored the MSUC to reward mods. They are well known for working from within the community.

What did you want from them anyway? Using the UT2004 tools and content means that they automatically have rights to use any of it for their own purposes.

Like I said before - if they did get this idea from you - I would certainly expect acknowledgement, if nothing else.

Ghost3021

Registered Hobbit
Nov 21, 2004
Behind you.
T-1 said:
Ghost: Don't email anyone. Wouldn't help anything and the only thing it could possibly do, even though I have no idea how, is get us into legal trouble. I was going to email the vice president of Epic since I found his addy on the epic website but I released that there's no point. It wouldn't help anything.

dont worry im not stupid + i've cooled down a it but still, [to hal], i dont think they'll acknoledge t1's work as their idea...true they've been good to the community, im just going to drop this whole thing for now.