Help with masked transparency in Canvas Style and FInal Blend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

psycocommy

Nov 18, 2004
I have been trying to get the masked property to work, according to the Sega500 tutorial, but to no avail. What I've done:

Set a portion of the background to pink (255,0,255). Changed the image to indexed 8-bit color in Photoshop. Set the first color in the pallete to be pink. Did this in both photoshop and using the Bright utility provided by epic.

When I set the canvas style to STY_Masked, the image looks oblique. When I set it to STY_Transparent, the image is all transparent.

I have also tried adding an alpha channel to the image in The GIMP and settign STY_Additive, but again to no results (neither .pcx nor .bmp preserve transparency and .tga will not load for some reason).

My final intent is to have the a spinning oblique map on the HUD, which I made by outputting a camera script rotating around my map in Terragen, saving each frame side by side in a long texture file, and setting a loop to move through the frames as the player's YAW changes. All I need now is to mask out the background and leave just the oblique map, by masking the texture and then using the FB_AlphaBlend property, but its not working so far. Any suggestions on what to do differently? Thanks.

psycocommy

Nov 18, 2004
[SAS]Solid Snake said:
For a start, is the image masked in the texture viewport if UED?

I'm importing it as an image (8-bit indexed .bmp) so I have not gone through Unreal Ed for this. You think that would solve the problem?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
It's possible that you may have no set the flags properly and so on, so it's better to make sure that the texture is appropriate right from the start. Also your use of the Canvas style flags isn't fully correct, so I also suggest you read them up on the UDN. (Setting STY_Additive use isn't quite right)