Frames bad

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ultraman

Jan 19, 2000
S.C., usa
Visit site
Hey everyone i tested Ut today and only got 25fps avg on deck 16, 5bots and details on. Why is this? My friend says i should get about 42fps av. He has the same clock speed i have and he gets 42fps. Help if you can.
Amdk6 450mhz
voodoo3 pci, 100 bus
His computer: intel 450mhz, voodoo3pci,100 mhz bus
Dont know why his runs better. We both had 405 patch.

S

[Switch]

Ah, but the same speed of processor doesn't mean you have the same processor.

I'm not familiar with this myself, but I've heard that the K6 isn't very good for UT. So that's your problem. If you had an intel you'd have the same speed. I can't help you solve the problem though. Unless you want to buy a new processor. Perhaps someone else will help.

Personally, I always stick to Intel. It feels more secure.
:) (Please don't flame me on this)

/Switch

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Ultraman - sorry, but it is most likely your CPU. The K6-2 is known for lacking power. Chances are he has a Pentium III 450 with the Voodoo3 and is getting 42fps (which is good - cause I was getting 38fps with the same cpu - 1024x768, high detail everything).

I would suspect yours is doing all it can. :(

But there are quite a few tweaks you can use to make it run faster.

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture

H

Haades`FW

A celeron 333 would do better than a k6-2 450 I assure you. K6-2 doesn't have L2 cache (P3 has 512k L2 Cache), and they sucks in floating points calculs (which is really needed in UT).

I have a k6-2 450 with V2, a do average 25-30 on Deck-16, with the lowest settings possible.. I don't even see ppl with the shield belt because I had to disabled it..

I suggest you to play with low details, no decals, no dynamic light in 640x480, and you may get 35fps, since you have a V3 which is better than my V2.

To do better, you'd have to change your cpu.. Try getting a K6-3 if you don't want to change the motherboard (but they cost the same price as athlon)

Haades`FW

Kukuman

HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT
Mar 27, 2000
Bothell, WA
K6-3s are MUCH cheaper than Athlons, depending on where you go. I found a K6-3 500 for about $125. Not bad.

I have a K6-2, and no it's not great for UT. It's good, but not as good as it's Intel counterpart. I am thinking about getting a K6-3, but that's a ways off as I don't have the money right now. There are many tweaks you can do. I get an average of ~40fps in CTF-Dreary with a Voodoo3 3500, HUD size decreased a lot, Frags and Player Status not shown, and a lot of Advanced Preferences tweaks. I can't remember any specific sites right now to help you, though. BTW, this is with 405b. I gave in and reinstalled UT with 405b, and it works much better than 413 did. Better frame rate, MUCH lower ping, and weapon priorities aren't messed up now. :)

bullet2.gif

Kukuman|PuF

"unreale tournamint would be a much bettar game if it WAS MORE LIKE QUAKE3 AND didant copy everything that QUAKE3 DID!" - Jeff K, "HE TELLS IT LIKE IT SI."

Kukuman

HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT
Mar 27, 2000
Bothell, WA
Oh one more thing EVERYTHING is on high detail. I have dynamic lighting and Coronas disabled. Deck16 is also a pretty open level. If you have the bonus pack, I'd use a more closed level like Mojo][ (my favorite level), and if you don't, CTF-Dreary would work well.

Keep in mind I have a Voodoo3 3500, which is the same as the Voodoo3 3000 but it has a higher clock speed(183MHz!) and a TV Tuner(has no effect on games).

bullet2.gif

Kukuman|PuF

"unreale tournamint would be a much bettar game if it WAS MORE LIKE QUAKE3 AND didant copy everything that QUAKE3 DID!" - Jeff K, "HE TELLS IT LIKE IT SI."

H

Haades`FW

I've checked prices here, in quebec,canada, and a k6-3 500 cost about the same than an athlon 500 :/

maybe the place I checked was wrong about their price.. but K6-3 cost a lot..

Haades`FW