Engine.GameEngine

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Expo

Apr 6, 2000
Visit site
I was trying to tweak UT a bit and was poking around Unreal.ini and UnrealTournament.ini. I just have UT and UnrealEd installed, never had Unreal. The cache size was set to something tiny like 4MB in both ini files. My question is this...

Is there some rule of thumb to this setting? For example, should it be XX% of my RAM?

The reason I ask is that I was noticing a *slight* and I mean *slight* stutter when new sounds were cached. Hmmm. Just being anal :)

Thanks!

Expo

P3600
128MB 100
SB Live X-Gamer
V3 3K

F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

You can set it to 1/2 your ram. I have mine set up to 64 megs...works great :).

bullet2.gif

[Ci]Prophetus][PuF][

CAPTURE! Home of CTF map reviews, strategies and Forums.

F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

oh...you don't have to change it in your ini. if you don't want...you can go to advance preferences-advanced and change it there.

bullet2.gif

[Ci]Prophetus][PuF][

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
i use it as 3/4 of my ram
i play q3 also and i think this setting and com_hunkmegs from q3a are the same in their repected engines
so with 128 ram i set that setting to 96

bullet2.gif

"I like this book because of its cover. This book sucks, the cover sucks." -XS

Expo

Apr 6, 2000
Visit site
OK... I set it to 3/4 of my RAM... set at 96MB. I still get a slight shudder sometimes when I pick up a new weap for the first time... very slight. I had the same problem with Q3A until I changed the hunkmegs setting. I know the cache size in UT is equivalent but I still cant seem to shake the *slight* stutter.

You can never be too anal :)
Expo

F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

Hmmm, seems this "Shudder" is a framerate problem. Turn down some of your settings...this may help. However, if you wish to keep your graphics as is...try turning other things off, like music. I have sound quality down to low, music off, hud size reduce (just enough to delete the faces that pops up during the messages). 16 bit instead of 32 bit (don't see much difference). Weapons hidden. No auto taunts. This helped with my framerates and I still kept all my graphics turned up.

bullet2.gif

[Ci]Prophetus][PuF][

Cryton

Loafing Bast
Nov 11, 1999
London, UK
www.fce2.eu
Are you talking about CacheMegSize?

According to Jack 'mek' Porter, that refers to lightmap and other internal caching, in RAM. Some people claim making this number higher improves performace but Tim says that
doesn't make sense and that it shouldn't make any difference... But hey,
if it works for you :).

Setting it to high values (more that 8mb) is really not needed.

bullet2.gif

F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

Expo...that's your problem right there. Setting minimum framerate at 60 is too high. What that does is when your framerate hits below 60, UT will subtract certain details from the game. First is weapons detail, then gib (body parts) and decals (marks on walls from weapons), dynamic lighting and so on. UT will try and maintain a framerate of 60. But, this will cause hiccups in your game, because UT is trying to delete those graphics as fast as your card will allow. Unless you have a fast card...you'll notice "stuttering". Set the minimum at default or below or even at 35. You'll play at a framerate at around 35 to 40...but that is not a big problem. But, if you minimize or unmark certain things, like decals, skin detail medium (low is great and you really don't see much difference), world detail medium and do the above, then your framerate will stay at a standard rate. I up my details for pics, but for online gaming...I turn them off. You won't notice those details anyway in a fast paced online game.

Lower your minimum framerate...you'll see the stuttering go away.

bullet2.gif

[Ci]Prophetus][PuF][