PDA

View Full Version : UWRC-Subway

bobnine
29th Jan 2005, 07:54 PM
Hi,im making a map for unwheel.

Heres some screens,tell me what you think of it please.

jerdaygo
30th Jan 2005, 12:57 AM
looks nice, hey maybe we could get a UnWheel community bonus pack going :D

ProjectX
30th Jan 2005, 04:48 AM
Looks amazing, good work!

Kantham
30th Jan 2005, 07:02 AM
i hope this is better that your low FPS VCTF-midnight one :)

Fraggee_Rok
30th Jan 2005, 07:16 AM
It looks a bit complicated, but then every UnWheel track can't be a huge swooshy affair with roads as smooth as... erm... something that's really smooth.
But all in all, the map certainly seems pretty enough. What's the story behind it? I can't imagine that Flair or MoD would buy a recently crippled subway system.

ProjectX
30th Jan 2005, 08:47 AM
It looks a bit complicated, but then every UnWheel track can't be a huge swooshy affair with roads as smooth as... erm... something that's really smooth.
But all in all, the map certainly seems pretty enough. What's the story behind it? I can't imagine that Flair or MoD would buy a recently crippled subway system.

Someone noticed that I just bodge something together for a map story!

Damn, I thought they'd never find out! :D

Kantham
30th Jan 2005, 09:32 AM
looking the screen shot again , .... it would be nice if it plays whit wipe out vehicle!

if bots would play this mod and if there is somme wipeout stle vehicle , i would make an awesome map for it

a vehicle like sommething on the screen (just futuristic)
http://www.chez.com/play2on/Screens/WipeOut%20Fusion/Images/WipeOut%20Fusion%20-%2024.jpg

bobnine
30th Jan 2005, 11:08 PM
Its smooth enof to race on,most of the colision is simplified,I had to use semi-solid invisble brushs though because blocking volumes stop the cars from moving.

You want a story,its a run down subway that you can race in,since when did racing games need storys?

shh,vctf-midnight never happend,and the framerate on my computer in this level is about 25-70fps.

If there were wipeout style vehicles,wouldn't they have to change the name of the mod?(I dont think wipout vehicles have wheels)

Kantham
31st Jan 2005, 07:07 AM
If there were wipeout style vehicles,wouldn't they have to change the name of the mod?(I dont think wipout vehicles have wheels)

no they don't have weels , they flight like , manta but at X speed ,

so if sommeone want to make a vehicle of this kind ... he can use the same script as the manta and mofify them.....

ProjectX
31st Jan 2005, 03:01 PM

so if sommeone want to make a vehicle of this kind ... he can use the same script as the manta and mofify them.....

the point he's tring to make is that it wouldn't fit UnWheel

Kantham
31st Jan 2005, 03:56 PM

yea but ......................

:(

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

how many custom map server this mod have ?

Shrimp
1st Feb 2005, 01:24 AM
Wow, looking good :D

bobnine
1st Feb 2005, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Kantham

I can see what you mean,wipeout vehicles would be quite cool,a vehicle I reckon would also be awsome is a rollcage style vehicle.

Kantham
1st Feb 2005, 05:34 AM
yea , and

what about Xetreme G futuristic motor cycles ?

http://www.xbox.com/media/games/xgra/sim-xgra-001.jpg

they do? , nha sorry , i thought i saw wheel on them ?

no?

:B :-)

carmatic
1st Feb 2005, 12:11 PM
now thats one properly done screenshot... umm *me goes wishing unwheel looked like that*

cant wait to play this subway map, the outside scenes look quite fantastic
how big will the tunnels be? can a caterpillar fit in it?

ProjectX
1st Feb 2005, 01:09 PM
now thats one properly done screenshot... umm *me goes wishing unwheel looked like that*

how big will the tunnels be? can a caterpillar fit in it?

*see a cool UW shot in the 3rd post here: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=151408*

bobnine
1st Feb 2005, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by carmatic

Its big enof for the centipede,just.I managed to finish the race,shown by the third screenshot,although,its not a good i dea to use the centipede in this map unless you want to loose.

stevenhorton
1st Feb 2005, 11:11 PM
Nice look and scale to your map:)

ProjectX
2nd Feb 2005, 02:32 AM

It looks great!

I wonder whether Kantham can last a week without changing his sig...

Kantham
2nd Feb 2005, 08:20 AM

i agree whit him

scale it , mhh , about 0.7 inside the scalemap tool (select all before you do the operation)

bobnine
2nd Feb 2005, 10:12 PM
if you agree,why do I need to scale it?

bobnine
2nd Feb 2005, 10:40 PM
One thing before I release the map,there is a strange hall of mirrors effect at the end of my viewfog instead of skybox when in the tunnels,does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

ProjectX
3rd Feb 2005, 11:16 AM
Do you have a skybox? If so then I don't know. If not then add a skybox.

Kantham
3rd Feb 2005, 12:55 PM
i am good at making them ,

although , this mod sounds good , im gonna dl it and try it out

if i like it , i promise i will map for it ;)

jerdaygo
3rd Feb 2005, 01:24 PM
I am looking forward to trying Subway, any eta on the release?

ProjectX
3rd Feb 2005, 01:25 PM
i am good at making them ,

although , this mod sounds good , im gonna dl it and try it out

if i like it , i promise i will map for it ;)
Well from the look of the screens from you nalicity page you're quite a competent mapper. I'd love to see a community map pack spring up from the likes of you two.

I am looking forward to trying Subway, any eta on the release?

It will be hailed as the fifth (if you don't count my first two maps for UW - in which case it would be the seventh) community-map ever made for UnWheel (to my knowledge)

bobnine
4th Feb 2005, 05:26 AM
I will release it soon,although the bots dont work very well(if at all),and I dont see a cause for this weird hall of mirrors effect at the end of my fog,it only happens in the tunnels.

ProjectX
4th Feb 2005, 08:43 AM
I will release it soon,although the bots dont work very well(if at all),and I dont see a cause for this weird hall of mirrors effect at the end of my fog,it only happens in the tunnels.

This is the anser (quoth T-Shinzon):

"Unreal has a build it default maximum render distance for obvious reasons. Basically anything outside of this is not rendered at all, or if there is a skybox, then that replaces the "outside of render area."

To fix this, add distance fog. Make the area where the skybox would connect to the real level have a fogring of the same color as the distance fog. This way, everything transitions all nicely.

In UnrealEd, by default, the sky is not shown and instead the black area used. Hit 'k' after selecting your perspective viewport to toggle the rendering of the skybox on/off. "

Kantham
4th Feb 2005, 08:46 AM
have a fogring of the same color as the distance fog

yes .....

YES......

a map that have fog with no fog ring ...... or a map whitout no fog @ 5 fps ....

:tdown:

Fraggee_Rok
4th Feb 2005, 12:50 PM
... Of course, I read somewhere that whilst fog in the skybox solves the HOMness, it means that you can't have a skybox...
Mind you, you probably wouldn't need a city-landscape-esq skybox in a subway. :D

bobnine
4th Feb 2005, 04:53 PM
I have fog and a skybox,and the skybox matches the fog.

Whats confusing me is that its not showing the skybox at the end of the fog while in the tunnels,as soon as you can see into a zone that is outside the skybox shows fine at the end of the fog.

It seems to only have a problem with showing the skybox at the end of the fog in zones that dont have any fake backdrops in them :confused:

Also, if you have fog and no skybox shouldn't it just fade to a flat colour?

bobnine
4th Feb 2005, 07:07 PM
I figured it out,if there are no fake backdrop surfaces being renderd the game also doesnt render the skybox,even though the fog needs the skybox to be renderd.I dont kno how to make the skybox continuely renderd even when theres no fake backdrop in sight,so I made it so there is always a fake backdrop in sight by adding a big sheet that can be seen from everywhere(but is invisible because its a fake backdrop.

In short,the problem is fixed.

bobnine
5th Feb 2005, 04:51 PM
Ive uploaded the map to nalicity:http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=8148

ProjectX
5th Feb 2005, 05:17 PM
Ive uploaded the map to nalicity:http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=8148

Cool, 2 community maps relesed in one day! We'll have enough to make a mappack soon enough!

Kantham
6th Feb 2005, 07:39 AM
We'll have enough to make a mappack soon enough!

NOOOOOOOO WAIT :p

i am about to finish 2 maps !!!!!!!11

ProjectX
6th Feb 2005, 11:51 AM
NOOOOOOOO WAIT :p

i am about to finish 2 maps !!!!!!!11

Are you? They'd better be of high quality or else! lol.

Kantham
6th Feb 2005, 12:24 PM
yes they are ,

i did a skybox for the CTF map , snow theme , very fun whit fast vehicles , like the mc laren and the viper , but no worry , i love making perilious envoronament , like unsmoted terrain at somme places , lots of rocks ,

so certain vehicles will have good point on for this map

and nico seriously , i have seen lots of your map that need LOTS of work , but , well ....

and again , ARGGG of those ambiant sound , like in this rally 'forest' map ....

ProjectX
6th Feb 2005, 04:24 PM
Ah my old "just plop one big ambient sound in'll do em good" approach. Suffice to say that attitude is long gone.

I would be correcting these problems as i speak, but my computer's had to go into storage for a while (hence my absence from the Burnouts) and I don't have UT2K4 installed on my laptop.

I admit a lot of my maps need work, actually I was incredibly surprised that Alladreas is considered a well-liked map despite a 50% chance of GPFing and lets face it, monotonous terrain.

I plan to keep arborea, and tone down the sounds, they are a tad loud aren't they...

Also there's red planet, eugh...

Caribbean's been given a duly-deserved make-over as can be seen in the appropriate thread, a lot of my rabbit maps have been made smaller to intensify gameplay (most obviously in bracknell and in sulphur)

Also I am considering simply destroying some of my rubbish works to save file size (Igneous, Red PLanet (I repeat: eugh...), Faerie (aesthetically pleasing, but people just keep getting lost in it, despite the handy compass and the arrows on the terrain), Mawes (oddly enough I can do nice outdoor scenes, nice indoor scenes but never both at the same time - I wonder why), I'm gonna keep Hilltop, people get lost, but really, the compass does show people where everything is. It's dark ffs! Of course it's gonna be hard to see! none others come to my mind (been too long without UnWheel) but I'm sure I'll find them.

Kantham
6th Feb 2005, 05:45 PM
red planet , it is not that big race map with no fog that give me headhaches and 2 fps?

bracknell is a very good map

Shrimp
7th Feb 2005, 01:17 AM
Getting back on topic :D.

Wow, this Subway map is really impressive. Your screenshots don't do it justice ;). The multiple routes, the short outdoor areas, the broken down ruin feel of everything, the lovely big jumps :D. /me loves it. Only thing I could suggest for improvong would be a bit more colour (lighting, decos, whatever) :).

Great job ;).

ProjectX
7th Feb 2005, 02:31 AM
Gah I wish I had 2K4 on my laptop!!!

bobnine
7th Feb 2005, 03:46 AM
Getting back on topic :D.

Wow, this Subway map is really impressive. Your screenshots don't do it justice ;). The multiple routes, the short outdoor areas, the broken down ruin feel of everything, the lovely big jumps :D. /me loves it. Only thing I could suggest for improvong would be a bit more colour (lighting, decos, whatever) :).

Great job ;).

Kantham
7th Feb 2005, 07:48 AM
thank you for contribuing with the mod

carmatic
7th Feb 2005, 04:56 PM
yeah i agree with shrimp there because i love maps with lotsa colour!

i think that faerie should stay, i never got lost in that map, theres just this exceedingly lush feel to it...i think that that map is beyond what the unreal engine 2.5 was meant to do...

::edit:: just played thru it, and all i can say is 'wow' .... the concept is nice, drilling through the rubble, shooting through the subway, exposed sections... in my honest opinion i think that an elaborate skybox isnt necessary in there, just put alot of fog to give it atmosphere...
actually now that i think of it, since the exposed areas in the map are so focused, you can have funky skybox effects that would need a very focal point on the map to make sense... like maybe rescue vehicles flying overhead
and the curvy sections of the rails flash through each other because they are overlapping, i think that these sections should be covered in mud , after all its no longer a working subway, and mud has fallen from cracks in the tunnel walls to conviniently cover the tricky parts of the architechure

i especially loved the part where you went through the exposed earth , they are very dramatic... if only they get more colour (ctf-bridgeoffate style) then it would be absolutely perfect
also the carriages are huge! do you use these trains to transport vehicles like the eurostar or something

bobnine
20th May 2005, 12:06 AM
http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/nalicity/ut2k4other/uwrc-subway.zip

Added more terrain,and more layers to existing terrain,added jump cameras,fixed some minor errors.

carmatic
20th May 2005, 08:05 AM
eh? why is it there is music even when i turn the music volume in the settings all the way down? now i have to turn off all the sound because it would clash with the other songs that i listen to!

anyway, yeah, i dunnoe if the wires hanging from the ceiling thing is there on the old version, but i think its a nice little touch , as long as people cant tell that they are all identical (shove them halfway into the walls randomly etc etc)

the railwayss on it are funky looking, but i suppose thats unavoidable or something?

also its the same filename, i dunnoe if its gonna cause servers to have 'version mismatch' problems or not

ProjectX
20th May 2005, 10:56 AM
eh? why is it there is music even when i turn the music volume in the settings all the way down? now i have to turn off all the sound because it would clash with the other songs that i listen to!

Sounds like a bug with your UT.

Onto the map: It's good, the terrain looks a lot less like the moon now, but I'd still work to adding some more colour to the indoor areas, maybe by changing the white overhead lights to a subtle yellow (they don't look like fluorescent lights to me, so they should cast yellow light) and also by adding a few small-radius red lights in the walls. Also maybe try adding a faint blue sunlight actor to the map, currently outdoors the lighting is again white, and mostly night-light is a deep blue, look at Thief: Deadly shadows for some beautiful night scenes.

If in doubt read my sig.

carmatic
20th May 2005, 06:20 PM
no, its something with this map... have you even tried turning down the music in-game before?

bobnine
20th May 2005, 06:52 PM

anyway, yeah, i dunnoe if the wires hanging from the ceiling thing is there on the old version, but i think its a nice little touch , as long as people cant tell that they are all identical (shove them halfway into the walls randomly etc etc)

the railwayss on it are funky looking, but i suppose thats unavoidable or something?

also its the same filename, i dunnoe if its gonna cause servers to have 'version mismatch' problems or not

lots of thing are identical,your not suposed to drive slow enuf to notice :lol:

By "funky looking" do you mean the rails are all flashy,because I tried to fix that by making all the overlapping rails different drawscales,this may/may not fix it depending on your grapics setup and stuff.

If you realy need to turn the music off,you can press F11 and then press play and then stop,or you could use that player thing to play your mp3's and ogg's,not sure what other file types it supports.

I sortof expect servers to update aswell

Onto the map: It's good, the terrain looks a lot less like the moon now, but I'd still work to adding some more colour to the indoor areas, maybe by changing the white overhead lights to a subtle yellow (they don't look like fluorescent lights to me, so they should cast yellow light) and also by adding a few small-radius red lights in the walls. Also maybe try adding a faint blue sunlight actor to the map, currently outdoors the lighting is again white, and mostly night-light is a deep blue, look at Thief: Deadly shadows for some beautiful night scenes.

I will mess around with the lighting today,if I get it to look any better I will update again.

carmatic
22nd May 2005, 07:45 AM
and while your on the lighting thing, make it so that the platform area stands out more... like give it a post-apocalyptic feel, right now it looks very evenly lit as if it was to make sure passangers dont fall into the gap between the train and the platform...

and oh, i know it might sound alot of work or something but, umm.... rather than have the tracks overlap like they do now, how about you make them disjointed and broken... that way you can say the earthquake shattered the rails....
i know i dont kinda see levels quite the same way as other people here, but i thought it was relevant ....
yes, overall, i agree with projectx that its all too white for a disaster-struck subway... i think, if a few of the lights are randomly deleted , then the long stretches of subway would look more interesting... in fact i'll just go into unrealed now and see what it looks like

ProjectX
22nd May 2005, 10:19 AM
Ah for the random light flickering light type! How I miss thee!

carmatic
22nd May 2005, 01:14 PM
unfortunately i only know how to do basic lights, i havent learnt what to click on yet to make the lights flicker... and the map is sooo full of stuff that i dont understand yet that i think i'll leave it to another day... maybe i'll just go and wipe and tweak a few of the lights, mess with the ambient lighting or something if i can find the zoneinfo actors, and leave the rebuilding to another day

ProjectX
22nd May 2005, 01:17 PM
Dynamic lighting effects have been removed. It's a shame really but the engine didn't support them.

You can do some cool stuff with lighting but the thing that really makes ME go "wow." is loads of moving stuff, a dynamic world to play in. If I'm on a space ship things are gonna move, the thing is gonna be spinning and there will be pistons pumping away, shooting out gas at regular intervals. That sort of thing; although it's only witnessed briefly, really sells a map to me.

carmatic
22nd May 2005, 06:13 PM
hmm... so most of the lighting in ut2k4 is the lightmaps, and sometimes you see vehicle headlights, and rarely you see stuff like link gun shots and rockets giving off light... no wonder it kinda looks so flat to me

all the more reason to wait for ut2k7 to come out

and yeh, epic plz make it so that the characters or levels themselves dont have that many polys or dont have complicated bump maps and all that other stuff, instead the environment must always be dynamically lit
cuz that was what UT99 looked like to me, all flashy colours and lights , if they wanna get the ut99 feel back they'd better optimize their engine to support more dynamic lights per scene...

ProjectX
23rd May 2005, 02:11 AM
hmm... so most of the lighting in ut2k4 is the lightmaps, and sometimes you see vehicle headlights, and rarely you see stuff like link gun shots and rockets giving off light... no wonder it kinda looks so flat to me

all the more reason to wait for ut2k7 to come out

and yeh, epic plz make it so that the characters or levels themselves dont have that many polys or dont have complicated bump maps and all that other stuff, instead the environment must always be dynamically lit
cuz that was what UT99 looked like to me, all flashy colours and lights , if they wanna get the ut99 feel back they'd better optimize their engine to support more dynamic lights per scene...

Unreal Engine 3 Supports both dynamic lighting (with realtime soft shadows) and Normal-mapped characters (where you make a 6000 poly model look like a 3000000 poly model). So we get the best of both worlds.

Shrimp
23rd May 2005, 05:05 AM
Grrr!! Need to install UnWheel on my work machine to test these maps :p

carmatic
23rd May 2005, 01:28 PM
yeh, but i was worried that UE3 will optimize for bumpmapped characters (that we probably wont be able to see properly in a firefight anyway) rather than being able to speedily render lots of lights , which we will be able to notice clearly and ut2k3 and 2k4 looked kinda bland because they dont have good lighting effects...

ProjectX
23rd May 2005, 04:55 PM
Trust me on this one, I've seen it in ames and you REALLY notice bump-mapping when a rocket whizzes by, lighting the individual folds of skin of a monster and casting shadows on the rest of the beast. It's an amazing sight.

jerdaygo
23rd May 2005, 05:57 PM
Trust me on this one, I've seen it in ames and you REALLY notice bump-mapping when a rocket whizzes by, lighting the individual folds of skin of a monster and casting shadows on the rest of the beast. It's an amazing sight.
True dat, Unreal Engine 3 is going to be amazing, it better, it pretty much stole E3. yes the Xbox 360 and PS 3 did, but what games were the best looking ones on them??? ;)