UWRC-SUICIDE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I made a similar map, different theme, and only 3 loops. Personally i think they're different enough that people will play both UWRC-Suicide and UWRC-Trickstyle

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
wow, just how do you describe to someone a map like this,much less suggest it?

well, personally, i think that the straight up 360's are feeling abit cliche , and after experiencing cars getting stuck on curvy surfaces i am now pretty scared of them...

can there be objects in game that are not defined by polygons, but are like perfectly smooth or something? maybe the loop that is there is just for you to see and its actually pass-through, and the car actually physically interacts with something else that's in the place of the loop... is this even possible in the ut2k4 engine?

anyway, it looks kinda cool , at least from all the way from the main camera perspective... looks like a hotwheels track set...

Last edited:

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Cool :)

I know what you mean Carmatic, but I think the physics interacting with a perfectly smooth curve may be a bit too intense for Karma :p.

It is possible though to set up an invisible collision mesh around a visible mesh for StaticMeshes in UT2004. Perhaps it's worth a try...

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
stevenhorton said:
The map is now on jerdaygo's server, in his newly created directory unwheel/MSU; for team members only at the moment.

whats the map like? any bugs etc

also i wonder, is it possible to do a 'corkscrew' type turn .... like maybe it should use a staticmesh that has polygons which stretch at an angle from the vehicle or something, so the car always touches more than one polygon...

like, on that stunt map that looks like a racetrack on a weekend with the trucks and the loop, when i get on the loop the car scrapes all the way over... i think the loop needs to be bigger so the car can fit on the curvature better... and oh, dont put any funky gravity centers on the loop either, finishing the loop succesfully should be a rewarding experience, not a routine one... perhaps, just to emphasize this last point, maybe the area around the loop can be made like a 'safety zone' , yellow/black striped metal instead of grass , and bits of wreckage just beyond...

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Sorry carmatic, the split loops had to have physics volumes for the vehicle to even begin to navigate them. And the question of " i think the loop needs to be bigger so the car can fit on the curvature better", the opposite actually takes place. When you scale the mesh larger, the angles in the radius remain the same, but are now farther appart from each other, and that allows the vehicles to hit a little deeper in each angle. You are not alone in thinking this though, I thought the same thing until I tried scaling up to help the problem :(

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
uhhh how about like... instead of having the same angles being joined by straight lines that are simply farther apart when you scale up the loop, you have more , gentler, angles that make up the bigger loop, like the straight lines remain the same length as they were in the smaller loop, only the angles between them will be lesser and it will take more polygons to make up the bigger loop...

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Congratulations carmatic:) Your original question "can there be objects in game that are not defined by polygons, but are like perfectly smooth or something? maybe the loop that is there is just for you to see and its actually pass-through, and the car actually physically interacts with something else that's in the place of the loop... is this even possible in the ut2k4 engine?" prompted me to try something. I opened the original loop in Maya and selected all the inside faces on half of the loop, duplicated them into a separate object. I them selected all the faces of the new object and subdivided them, quadrupiling the number of faces. I deleted the center edges since they didn't add smoothness, just unneccesary polys. I exported the new inside faces and added them to the inside of the existing loops. I made the original so it didn't collide with the vehicles. With a little more work and trials the test worked, the loops have much better collision:)

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Nice Map Steve, the only thing that i had a problem with was the loops, and it looks like you and carmatic have already addressed this (and music ;) LOL )

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I don't know what is going on with the music, I have selected music for the map, but it doesn't play:p The fixed version, UWRL-SuicideFix.rar, is on jerdaygo's server in the same folder as before. Everything but the motorcycle works well, as long as you don't use turbo. Turbo will force the vehicle through the mesh, and you will collide with the original loop mesh:(

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
very good concept , whe need more ctf maps
(i know this one is not)

where is the bulding texture?

this map and mine , + cybercirius one = new map pack :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
i know how to make meshes inside maya and import them inside UED , but , damn , what about texturing ....

Last edited: