BSOD after Exit game?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cole2109

Jan 27, 2005
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I have a big problem :cry:
Every time i stop playing UT04 and click Exit game the blue screen appears and than reset my computer.
I have this problem since i bought new computer (A64)
I already tryed everything i remember (format c:, new components,all new drivers incl.SP2 and stuff)!

Someone suggested that i try... Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup And Recovery >System failure > Automaticly restart (without mark)...Than appears this...

snap18er.jpg

When i click OK blue screen appears again!
This is very annoying thing...
Can anybody help me???

My new computer: A64 3000+ CG,DFI Lanparty,2×512 Twister,6800GT,LC550W
At the moment nothing is OC!

PS:Sorry for my bad english.

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
I, and many others have the same problem, seems to be only Athlon 64's that does this, if I don't have "Automaticly restart" off, my whole system will just reboot without so much as an error message, if I turn it on I get that error when I exit.

You can get around it by hitting 'alt+enter' to go into windowed mode and then just clicking the close 'X' button.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Well, if you're turning off UT2K4 then you weren't really going to use your computer for anything worthwhile anyway so you might as well reboot. ;)

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
I'm going to assume it's this :D

[again]

IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL, BSOD fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecessaryEvil
Does this fix the Unreal Engine + A64 blue screen on exit?

I was able to fix mine by heeding some advice on another forum. WinXP's Sp2 activated the NX bit in the Athlon 64 series of cpus. It's a hardware feature that helps prevent buffer overflows. It would happen to me during Tribes Vengeance or UT2K4 while exiting or minimizing. The error would read "irq_less_than_equal_my_ass" and lead me to believe my overclocked desires weren't getting along with my hardware. Here's the fix...

1. Open up the Control Panel.
2. Click on the System Icon.
3. Click on the Advanced tab.
4. Under Startup and Recovery, click on the Settings button.
5. Under System startup, click on the Edit button.

This will open up a notepad which should have something similar to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)part ition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) \WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=OptIn

6. Change the "/noexecute=Optin" switch to "/execute=Optin"
7. Reboot.

I am happy to say, I haven't had a bsod upon exiting an Unreal Engine based game in a couple of weeks now.

Cheers,

Jod ;-)

Blatant c&p from [H]ard|Forum

cole2109

Jan 27, 2005
@KALViN976

This is... :clap: :clap: :clap: :tup:

Ok i play just 15 min and than exit game (checked three times :eek: )...BUT THERE WASNT NO BLUE SCREEN ;)

What is this all about Change the "/noexecute=Optin" switch to "/execute=Optin"

Thank you man ;)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I just about had a hear attack until I read through the whole thread. I've got an AMD64 sitting at home just waiting to be hooked up to a new mobo.

Thanks for the info.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Hmmm - just got this from a similar thread at PU
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetunreal/topic.asp?fid=4790&tid=1585231
Regarding that microsoft DEP info page c/o ILTK...

quote " Turning DEP off... yikes. I tried making UT2004.exe an exception instead of completely disabling DEP, but that didn't work. It's a shame the only way to get this problem to stop is by turning off a rather important security feature in Windows...

It seems that someone may have given out some misinformation and it has spread. According to Microsoft, the command to disable DEP should read noexecute=AlwaysOff. I'm going to guess that using execute=Optin only works because Windows cannot understand the command so it disables DEP by default. You may want to change your DEP switch to the one Microsoft recommends to avoid instability...

I'm not willing to disable DEP though because it's a huge security vulnerability, especially on a computer connected to the Internet 24/7. Although I've been told that it works, I'm not willing to try it. I also heard that if you disconnect from the server you're playing (not exit the game yet) and use the console and type flush, which flushes the game cache, that also works. I've tried it a few times and I haven't crashed yet so I think I'm just going to continue to do that until the next official Nvidia release." unquote

So it looks like it's the nVidia 66.93 drivers causing the issue, but only with the Unreal engine & until the new drivers are released the 'flush' option is the safest.

Perhaps someone who fully understands what's going on could confirm/deny/explain it better as I'm now unsure as to the best way to tackle the problem.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
hal said:
I just about had a hear attack until I read through the whole thread. I've got an AMD64 sitting at home just waiting to be hooked up to a new mobo.

Thanks for the info.
It doesn't work. It never will. Place it immediately back in the box and ship it to me. :D

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
\/\/0RF said:
It doesn't work. It never will. Place it immediately back in the box and ship it to me. :D

:lol:

I'm hoping to upgrade my pc soon. I've read a lot of the AMD 64's. I've been going back and for as to whether or not to just upgrade to a XP 3200, or to bite the bullet and get the 64 3200 AND the mobo for it. Every time I talk myself into spending the extra money, though, I hear of someone else having a problem with it.

Now, I don't know what to do.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The AMD 64 3200 is immensely better than an XP 3200. With the new 90nm process, the chip prices have really dropped. I got one for 209.00 from Newegg.

Here's a CPU shootout.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-13.html

Compare the AMD 64 3200 Winchester Core (939 90m) to the AMD Athon XP 3200 numbers.

Be careful though, a lot of the socket 939 motherboards are still out there with a pre 90nm BIOS and there are conflicts. I went through hell trying to get (a highly rated and very fine motherboard) Abit AV8 to work to no avail. Also, these combinations require very specific RAM. Be sure and check your motherboard manufacturer for exact details before you order.

I ended up RMA'ing the AV8 and now have an MSI Neo2 Platinum sitting at home waiting to be setup. They are supposedly a little more forgiving. I'll let you know. :p

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
hal said:
I ended up RMA'ing the AV8 and now have an MSI Neo2 Platinum sitting at home waiting to be setup. They are supposedly a little more forgiving. I'll let you know. :p
Did you contact their support? I had the same problem - yeah should have done more research - and they sent me a new BIOS chip within a week free of charge :) Works perfectly since then.
That was in Europe, but according to people on the ABit forum, the US support does the same

Sindarin

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 15, 2004
I also had the same issue when exiting UT2004 with my new system, Athlon 64 3200 winnie ASUS A8N-SLI and 6800GT. Switched DEP to "AlwaysOff" in boot.ini and havent had a problem since. I've heard that the beta Forceware 70.20 drivers have fixed the problem, although i'm not too interested on installing beta drivers on my computer to try.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
8-4-7-2 said:
Did you contact their support? I had the same problem - yeah should have done more research - and they sent me a new BIOS chip within a week free of charge :) Works perfectly since then.
That was in Europe, but according to people on the ABit forum, the US support does the same

Yeah, sure did. I knew it was the BIOS and tried to talk the tech support guy into just listening to me, but we HAD to go through everything ... including unseating/reseating the heatsink, testing it out of the case, and so much more (all of which I had already done and told him so).

In the end, he said "there's no way it could be the BIOS... RMA it".

So I did. And then ordered an MSI. :)

I even tried a replacement BIOS chip from Biosman with version 17 and no go. But I heard others say that didn't work for them either. Only a replacement from Abit was working.

The MSI Neo2 Platinum doesn't OC quite as well, but it's nearly the equal as the Abit and it's very stable.

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
I think it's interesting that people are freaking out about turning off DEP. Before SP2, it was impossible to run DEP, and now people are afraid to turn off what they didn't have in the first place. Sure, it's nice to have but if you aren't going around the internet clicking on every OMG FREE iPODS LOL!!!!!1!!!1 link then its' not a problem.

This problem *should* be fixed in the next driver release from Nvidia. I don't know if it will be a beta version (most likely 68.xx or 69.xx) or in a WHQL version (most likely 70.xx or 71.xx). In the mean time you can either try some older drivers, turn off DEP (/noexecute=alwaysoff) or you can deal with the crashing. I personally turned off DEP and haven't had any problems thus far.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
hal said:
The AMD 64 3200 is immensely better than an XP 3200. With the new 90nm process, the chip prices have really dropped. I got one for 209.00 from Newegg.

I agree that the performance difference is huge. It just seems I keep hearing about people having headaches from dealing with them. Couple that with the added cost, and I wonder if i should just settle for the XP chip for now.
My upgrade senerios:
senerio #1 = XP 3200+ CPU
senerio #2 = AMD64 3200 + New mobo + added headaches?

So, my delimma is, do I spend a lot more money now for something that seems to be giving people problems, or do I do a simple upgrade now and wait for prices on the 64's to drop and issue to be resolved?

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
I wouldnt hold of getting the 64 just because of this, it's not realy _that_ big of a problem, either just alt+tab to window mode and close the game or apply the fixes in this thread, you need to reboot all the time anyway ;)

"You have moved your mouse, windows must now be restarted"