PDA

View Full Version : JB-ScorchedEarth

Rob
25th Jan 2005, 04:32 PM
Conversion of the DOM map. Good way to learn the new features of UEd 3.
I had to make some changes. I have duplicated the central building so that there's a starting zone specific to each team. In these buildings I duplicated the teleporters (there was too much telefragging).

JB-ScorchedEarth-beta (http://www.ut-jailbreak.de/Rob/JB-ScorchedEarth-beta.rar)

(Thx CD for your patience in helping me with the loading screen ;) )

Sexmachine
25th Jan 2005, 04:42 PM
I must be dreaming ... :D

EDIT: Plays very well - I'll upload the map to the server tomorrow. :)

Angie
25th Jan 2005, 05:04 PM
Rob is back! Yeehaw! :2thumb:

Rob
25th Jan 2005, 05:05 PM
You'd better not, SM. Saws don't rotate online. We're trying to fix that.

Boost
25th Jan 2005, 05:53 PM
The map looks great Rob!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ZedMaestro
25th Jan 2005, 06:33 PM
Correct the spelling error of the music name in the Level Properties > Audio section. Epic made the spelling error in UT2003 and then didnt correct it for UT2004 :rolleyes:
Please ensure that all weapon bases have the correct skin texture. Do this by empyting the Display > Skins array of every weapon base.
In my opinion the loading screen isnt taken from the best place. A nice view of the middle would be better. Also, try and make the horizontal line effect, and make the UT2004 logo be on top of the character. You may want to consider moving it so that less covers the character too.
The static mesh above each of the jail exits has an invisible side when you look at it from underneath. Maybe turn it upside down or do something else to hide this invisible surface.
Maybe a secondary route over the middle? My suggestion would be a jump-pad from one spawn-base to the other.
Could you ensure that the lifts either side of the switch have a sound that plays when they move.
Bots are stupid. Whenever you try shield-fighting them they run straight into the saws. I think this could be solved by some pathnodes in the jail. I dont know if you have any in there (i.e. only PlayerStarts), so try putting a few in if you havent already. If you have already got some... nevermind. Bots are stupid :)

Good start :)

TheSpoonDog
25th Jan 2005, 06:41 PM
About the saw not working online - if you did what I suggested, you need to use a NetworkEmitter, or perhaps the JB specific one that worbmo did (JBClientEmitterTriggerable maybe). If you are using a constantly rotating mover, you need to use a ClientMover.

Mychaeel
26th Jan 2005, 09:48 AM
I positively like the jails and especially their "doors"... :D

...really adds a twist to jail fights with the hammer...

tarquin
26th Jan 2005, 11:38 AM
[list]
Please ensure that all weapon bases have the correct skin texture. Do this by empyting the Display > Skins array of every weapon base.

Is this something that ALWAYS has to be done when converting a UT2003 map to UT2004? Are there any other things too?

Could someone upload a few screenshots please? I think this calls for a news post... :)

ZedMaestro
26th Jan 2005, 01:16 PM
Is this something that ALWAYS has to be done when converting a UT2003 map to UT2004?This process has to be done for every UT2004 weapon base placed, even those which are duplicated from corrected ones, regardless if its a UT2003 conversion or a brand new UT2004 map.

Rob
26th Jan 2005, 02:03 PM
JB-ScorchedEarth-beta2 (http://www.ut-jailbreak.de/Rob/JB-ScorchedEarth-beta2.rar)
Music : done.
Weapon bases : done.
Loading screen : done.
Static meshes in jail : done.
Moving sounds for lifts : they already have.
Hammer fights : that's better (not 100% fixed though).
Saws online : fixed.

Which size do you want your screenies Tarquin ?

tarquin
26th Jan 2005, 02:04 PM
This process has to be done for every UT2004 weapon base placed

OMFG!! :con:
Is there some massive bug in that class then? :shake:

tarquin
26th Jan 2005, 02:08 PM
Which size do you want your screenies Tarquin ?

Don't mind -- on a fast connection & got GIMP :D -- anything that I can resize or crop to 300x225

Rob
26th Jan 2005, 02:26 PM
Like these ?

tarquin
26th Jan 2005, 02:41 PM
Nice! Is the middle one inside the jail? What are those blood-covered cogs?
I'll post this Saturday or Sunday along with a lockdown reminder -- just remembered I have something from Zed to post too, that won't keep...

ZedMaestro
26th Jan 2005, 02:45 PM
Weapon bases still have incorrect skin. Check the rocket launcher and flak cannon pickups on the top. I didnt check the arena though...
The horizontal line effect is hardly noticeable... any chance of making it more apparent? Also, anti-aliasing is definitely needed, as you can see from the edges of static meshes. Enable AA, take pic, redo everything, turn off AA.

Rob
26th Jan 2005, 02:51 PM
Is the middle one inside the jail?
Yes. And the one on the right is the arena.

What are those blood-covered cogs?
Jail doors.

Weapon bases still have incorrect skin.
If I'm not wrong they all have the same skin now. Is it the bad one?

The horizontal line effect is hardly noticeable...
I'm not a pro at Photoshop. But CD is really happy to help me ;)

ZedMaestro
26th Jan 2005, 03:21 PM
Yes, all the weapon bases have the wrong skin texture.
When you start up Ued3, by default the texture browser appears too. weaponBaseTEX in the 2k4Chargers is the correct skin texture, but you can make your job simpler by:

Right-Clicking one weapon base
Hover over Select
Click Select all xWeaponBase
Right-Click a selected weapon base
Click xWeaponBase Properties (10 Selected)
Expand Display
Expand Skins
For the two entries there, click the input box.
Click the button labelled Clear which should appear on the right of the input box.

Once you've cleared the entries, you'll instantly see that the weapon base has the correct skin.

tarquin
26th Jan 2005, 03:37 PM
/me grabs the info for the wiki. :)

TheSpoonDog
26th Jan 2005, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure if it makes a difference, performance-wise, but you can just press "empty", to empty the skins array instead of clearing them and leaving blank entries there.

ZedMaestro
26th Jan 2005, 05:50 PM
The "Empty" button doesnt appear when you have multiple weapon bases selected (or multiple anythings for that matter), so you'd have to go round each one individually to do that.

But yeah, I do that as soon as I place a weapon base.

TheSpoonDog
27th Jan 2005, 04:41 AM
so you'd have to go round each one individually to do that.
Lazy-arse ;)

Rob
27th Jan 2005, 08:44 AM
JB-ScorchedEarth-beta3 (http://www.ut-jailbreak.de/Rob/JB-ScorchedEarth-beta3.rar)

Weapon bases and loading screen fixed.
Last beta unless someone finds something else crappy.

EDIT : Still problems online.

The_Head
27th Jan 2005, 10:39 AM
have u gone to the Map Exploiters for a beta. If there is anything wrong at all they will find it. link (http://www.utforums.com/index.php)
I got them to do a beta on one of my maps. And to show the extent in which they search the found a whole you could get down if:
You did a shieldjump whilst using the pint-sized combo.

Trust me its worth it, also its very quick

tarquin
5th Feb 2005, 05:24 AM
How's work going on this?
Is a release coming up?

Rob
5th Feb 2005, 10:17 AM
Still some stuff to fix.

CoolDude
6th Feb 2005, 09:46 AM
About the stuck botproblem.
It seems it has something to do with the Adrenaline placement.
It looks like the bot can't decide what item to pick up first.
Try "showdebug" or "showai" in the console.
When a bot is stuck you see the red line continously switch between the pickups. You could try replacing them a bit.

Rob
9th Feb 2005, 08:18 AM
JB-ScorchedEarth-beta5 (http://www.ut-jailbreak.de/Rob/JB-ScorchedEarth-beta5.rar)

Saws working online (thx CD).
Thrilling bots fixed (thx CD).
Minimap more visible.
Redone jail exits.

gunhero
9th Feb 2005, 06:35 PM
wow, great keep up the good work mate

Alhanalem
13th Feb 2005, 02:08 PM
I dont remember what it is, but I beleive there is even a command in the editor that will automatically fix the skins for all weapon bases in this situation.

The_Head
14th Feb 2005, 06:09 AM
I think it might actually be "newweaponskins"

Rob
21st Feb 2005, 11:46 AM
Final version sent to Nalicity.

And good riddance ! :rolleyes:

tarquin
21st Feb 2005, 01:24 PM
I'll post news on this as soon as it's on NC...

Rob
22nd Feb 2005, 01:07 PM
JB-ScorchedEarth (http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=8195)

Sexmachine
22nd Feb 2005, 01:43 PM
... added to our MotherShip :)

Mychaeel
26th Feb 2005, 12:03 PM
It's a pity BeyondUnreal didn't pick up the news :hmm: -- next time we'll probably have to kick them new news posters harder. ;)

tarquin
26th Feb 2005, 01:36 PM
yeah... usually they notice the site updates.

I don't think it's too late to prod them...
I don't have access to my BU mail at the moment, nor IRC :( (not that news admins EVER listen on IRC)

tarquin
1st Nov 2005, 10:21 AM
This map is being considered for inclusion in a forthcoming Jailbreak map pack (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=158752).

Are there any known bugs?
If so, do you have a newer version in which these are fixed? Has this been tested?
If not, how soon do you think you can get these bugs fixed and tested?

Rob
1st Nov 2005, 12:46 PM
No bug.

INIQUITOUS
1st Nov 2005, 04:30 PM
*cough* ill test it tomorrow as it seems none of the maps being considered are actually being tested...i mean theres bugs in mooncraters,nosense,gauntlet,snifam,frostbite,cosmos etc etc

INIQUITOUS
2nd Nov 2005, 02:11 PM
ok tested it. all looks good. gets the INI bug free award :D theres only a few things which isnt worth doing such as. :

mesh alignments
you can get on the top of the towers. and the very high spikes. in the arena too.

Hans Oberlander
3rd Nov 2005, 08:44 PM
a new loading screen wouldn't hurt. IMO the current one looks like shiit. no offense rob i know you and i know you wont take offense to this.

edit: made my own, got a bit creative. INI, rob what do you think?

download the 4 pars put them in one area and extract my bmp.

preview:
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/9890/loadingscreenready6rf.th.jpg (http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=loadingscreenready6rf.jpg)

Rob
4th Nov 2005, 02:41 AM
No sir. We're not going to update a map just to change the loading screen because one guy doesn't like it.

The_Head
4th Nov 2005, 08:05 AM
No sir. We're not going to update a map just to change the loading screen because one guy doesn't like it.
ROFLs:lol:

Hans Oberlander
4th Nov 2005, 04:38 PM
head, rob. that was extremely rude.

G.Lecter
4th Nov 2005, 05:21 PM
Just by changing the loading screen the map becomes uncompatible with the already released version... Definitely, it would not be worth doing that...
The screen was looking cool, though. JB-Isolated hasn't any one yet and you could make it if you want Hans (but wait for the final beta...) :)

Hans Oberlander
4th Nov 2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks lector, I'll gladly do one for you :clap:

Rob
5th Nov 2005, 04:08 AM
Not as rude as your offense. I don't know you and you don't know me.
This map was in beta for a reason. Next time you don't like something, you tell before the release.

The_Head
5th Nov 2005, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by \Kinetik
Not as rude as your offense. I don't know you and you don't know me.
This map was in beta for a reason. Next time you don't like something, you tell before the release.

Hans Oberlander = Kinetik ????

I don't see any problem with the loading screen really....

Vatcilli zeitchef
5th Nov 2005, 11:11 AM
Hans Oberlander=Kinetic=Gunhero=Matthew leech as far as I figured

Yeah loading screen is fine, My old ut had a black loadingscreen bug so I got used to that.

tarquin
23rd Mar 2006, 08:55 AM
So we're agreed the mesh problems aren't worth fixing?
Ok for this to go into a map pack as it is on NC?

INIQUITOUS
23rd Mar 2006, 09:25 AM
I'd fix it for a new loading screen hehe :D yeah it's got my bug free approval :D