IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vamanos

Dec 20, 2004
I have been haveing problems with UT2k4 in respect to exiting the program or minimizing it. 80% of the time i close the program the computer will restart itself. Or when i minimize it and then try to maximize it the computer will do the same. After disableing the auto restart on my rig and quit UT i get a BSOD which reads IRQL not less or equal. I have read about there being possible conflicts with SP2 and ath64 chips, but everything i have read has not helped my situaion. UT is the only game that will cause this problem. If anybody has any info on this problem i would appreciate the help thx.

Specs:
ath 64 3500 (939)(130nm)
abit AV8
1 gig corsair XMS PC3200
6800GT
Enermax 550W PSU

All drivers are current and have flashed BIOS to most recent version.

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
A long long way from home...
Go to system, hardware, device manager, view- list by resource connections and see how many devices lovely Mr.ACPI has put on the same IRQ :D

If you have a creative soundcard and it's sharing an IRQ, this will generally be the source of the problem :S If not, then it could be any number of things - most notably a faulty RAM module...

It would help if you wrote down ALL of what it said onthe BSOD, as that may give some clue as to what it is that's going wrong ;)

On another note - are you meant to have ECC memory sticks withthe AMD64's?

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
AMD 939 here, same prob, this fixed it :D

IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL, BSOD fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecessaryEvil
Does this fix the Unreal Engine + A64 blue screen on exit?

I was able to fix mine by heeding some advice on another forum. WinXP's Sp2 activated the NX bit in the Athlon 64 series of cpus. It's a hardware feature that helps prevent buffer overflows. It would happen to me during Tribes Vengeance or UT2K4 while exiting or minimizing. The error would read "irq_less_than_equal_my_ass" and lead me to believe my overclocked desires weren't getting along with my hardware. Here's the fix...

1. Open up the Control Panel.
2. Click on the System Icon.
3. Click on the Advanced tab.
4. Under Startup and Recovery, click on the Settings button.
5. Under System startup, click on the Edit button.

This will open up a notepad which should have something similar to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)part ition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) \WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=OptIn

6. Change the "/noexecute=Optin" switch to "/execute=Optin"
7. Reboot.

I am happy to say, I haven't had a bsod upon exiting an Unreal Engine based game in a couple of weeks now.

Cheers,

Jod ;-)

Blatant c&p from [H]ard|Forum

[FF]Messenger

Jan 29, 2005
www.ffclan.co.uk
I had a similar issue. I had a stable system but there were a few issues that I wanted rid of, so I formatted. Installed XP SP2, as it had before.
All went fine, but I started to get blue sceens IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL, during UT games, after closing down UT2k4, and occasionally randomly.
Been pulling what little hair I had our, till I tried this solution, low and behold it works :D

Specs:
ath 64 3500 (939)(130nm)
Asus AV8 Deluxe
1 gig corsair XMS PC3200
6800GT Golden Sample
Antec Neopower 480w

Ty Kalvin976 :D

Vamanos

Dec 20, 2004
Yea, so far this solution has solved that problem. I still wonder if it has to do with 939 mobo's/cpu's. Others that i have spoken with on UT who have XP sp2 and ath 64s who dont have this conflict do not have 939 mobos. Who knows, as long as it works.

Psychosis

Feb 24, 2005
Originally I didn't have this problem, but then i got another hard drive and decided to raid 0 it with the one I already had installed, and then when I reinstalled xp sp2 and UT and played it I got this error too when exiting the game. I have Ath 64 but not the 939 mobo. The solution also worked for me too so thanks Kalvin976. The other thing that seems to be common is the graphics card? When i got the BSOD it was with the latest driver 66.93, where the original install where i had no problem was 61.77. Dunno if this contributed to the BSOD.

Specs:
ath 64 3000+
Asus K8N-e Deluxe
1 gig PC3200

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
or overclocking, or ram overheating, or videocard overheating, or motherboard northbridge overheating.

All you can do is try to ru your system at standard specs and try some of the solutions in this thread. If it doesn't fix it, you are SOL on your Windows and have to reinstall to fix it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If you're using Windows XP and a newer than 2001 motherboard they could.