smoother internet play?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
hey, I'm wondering why ut2004 doesn't impliment the same kind of client-time hitscan interpolation that half-life offers. Now, I'm not one to argue that ut should be more like counterstrike (counter-strike is like cheap crack), but it'd sure make my online game alot smoother if I could hit people based on where I'm looking instead of where the server thinks I'm shooting.

Anyway, so how bout something constructive now, eh (instead of just me ranting)? I'm playing on a cable modem, most of the time I'm over 3000kps. My average ping is between 60 and 100, but I can't seem to get my game to be as smooth as I'd love for it to be (lan-quality is the goal). Are there some tips to get it to be better?

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
You can increase your netspeed to 10,000 or 20,000, but you're not going to get smoother play unless the server you're gives you a 30 or less ping. Even 30 isn't even really LAN quality. You'd have to have a strong server in your area to acheive that. :c

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
If you're getting a good ping, you can always try and check to see if you are getting a lot of packetloss (F6).

UT had a form of client side prediction called zero ping - and I personally didn't care for it. While it's great that you hit what you see, it isn't always great for the player on the other end who, in certain circumstances, can get hit by players that he or she can't even see.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Sounds like packetloss to me. Does this happen on every server or just a specific one? My at-home Intarweb connection is 3000kbps as well, and i ping 60 ms, I believe, to the FragBU server, and it's completely smooth for the most part. LAN-quality over the web is probably almost impossible to do. Playing with ping just takes a little bit of getting used to, assuming you're not being owned by packetloss, which makes it impossible.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Lan quality pings aren't that tough, within 2 hops. I get some really good ones as far as chicago from here in FL. The problem I find I have is servers not being beefy enough. Low tickrates kill my hitscan game.

When I LAN, my raw "ping" is like avg 30, so it's not as crazy low as you'd think. I get some pings only 10-20ms longer then that over the net, and really don't feel a difference in latency, but I still have the same "discrepency" he speaks of. I recently came to the conclusion that the level of smoothness on our LAN server has only a bit to do with ping, but a lot to do with the fact that it's running the stock lan tickrate, which is almost double the net one.

Only problem is you can't always just "up the net tickrate" because it is very cpu intensive. We, though, play on a 3 gig pentium, with 2 gigs of ram, and the server has never seen more then 12 people. Honestly, I don't even know how ping plays into tickrate, if it creates packetloss, trying to send more packets, or what have you, but I do know that usually when I hear specs on servers, they aren't as beefy as I'd like to think most server running this game would be.

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
we see in half-life based games that 100 ping is sufficient for (nearly) lan quality gameplay. Its smooth and fun, and only rarely do I notice issues (like someone shooting me before I can see them). Now, I understand that unreal tournament is a significantly faster game, but is it too fast to benifit from similar netcode?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Not so much, because most of HL's weapons are hitscan, so it affects a larger percentage of them equally, as well, there big boom weapons, are really big booms.

This game has a smaller percentage of fire modes being hitscan, so doing too much to make them much more powerful, IMO, would take them out of balance. They are kinda balanced according to what tickrates servers can run on average, and average internet pings, etc.

There are already some people who are way too skilled with hitscan weapons anyways, and honestly, I think it takes more skill to lead somone with a projectile they have time to react to anyways. I care not to see the rewards of "hitscan aim" get any bigger, or happen more often.