psst, news posted

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Thank you very much SS Team and happy holidays too! Damn I´m so happy :D

Did I understood it right from seeing the pictures, that you probably plan not only to include just weapons, but whole weapon families (like AK74, AK47, AK74S, AK74SU, RPK, Bizon)? If that´s true, than it is awesome and something I wished all the time.
Oh, and very nice pictures.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
But if it's half-life 2 engine ... does that mean there won't be any bot-support for the next-gen Infiltration ?

Needless to say that the Steam-thing made me avoid HL2 to begin with, so unless there's another Source-engine game without Steam (like Vampire:Bloodlines) I doubt I'd be playing that new mod.

Then again ... it's probably at least 2 years before something release-worthy is available.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
geogob said:
why wouldn't be any bot support in INF:source? There is already some AI in it... Thought it's not perfect, it's already better than the on in UT (IMO).
If the AI was any good then they would have enabled them in multiplayer as well.
I think it is just good enough to fool people in pre-scripted singleplayer-only environments.
I doubt they'd be useful as an intelligent enemy & teammate in multiplayer.

Oh ... and unfortunately UT2k4's AI is still the best there is as far as multiplayer fps is concerned.
Far Cry could be better, but it's singleplayer only ...
Halo 2's AI sounds like it might be good, but that's a Xbox-only game and I doubt it can be commanded in mp-games like the bots in UT-series.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Seems like UT2004 is kinda the best option. It is sleak enough (look at AA:O, it looks absolutely perfect as I find), works on most near outdated computers and has good bot support.
The only thing that really scares me is the infamous 'Mutator terror', otherwise I would vote UT2004 instantly.

I think SS should make a poll of engines only they consider to think about, and let the cummunity speak.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Psychomorph said:
I think SS should make a poll of engines only they consider to think about, and let the cummunity speak.

Sorry but that's nonsense. The average user (including me) doesn't know crap. The community can mostly just judge on the 'game' not really the engine, the capabilities the SDK and possible support from original developers/distributers etc.

Telling a volunteer team they should stick with what their fans tell 'em just doesn't work...

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
"Mutator terror" are you refering to the number of mutators. Sorry but if it were not for the mutators and the community based projects I would have left INF a year ago.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
If you think the UT2004 AI is so good in total conversion, you should take a look at RedOrchestra...

As for mutators, benmcl got a good point... this is what kept Infilration alive all those years... from DTAS to the new weapons, with RAv2, RA286, etc... the community brought a lot new stuff in this game.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I am going to expand a bit on just what I said. Look at almost every mod out there and what you see is a bunch of developers putting together a project and putting it out for others to play. The community's involvment is restricted to playing the mod, commenting and possible influencing further development and in some cases mapping. The community relies on the gracious and hard work of a small group of people.

Infiltration is very different in this regard. We have SS working very hard to provide a fun gaming experience. For use to influnce things we just don't have to rely on posting a rtequest in the hope they follow up on it.

Want a camo, do it. A new gun nothing to stop you. The wide varity of what we have now is based on this. Without it Infiltration would be just another mod, a very good one, but rather stale after awhile.

Yes it causes problems at times and things get rather heated but atleast it is interesting and fun. Without a mutator type system we would not have any of this.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
(SDS)benmcl said:
"Mutator terror" are you refering to the number of mutators. Sorry but if it were not for the mutators and the community based projects I would have left INF a year ago.
I can´t deny that, cuz it is absolutely true, and I like it, cuz what I would have done without Rav? Without Rav, INF2.9 would be my first INF, cuz I would have never played INF2.86vanilla.
Indeed, to loose the mutator feature in the next INF would cause some problems, especially for me since I´m a realism freak (inless SS makes a very realistic INF).
But on the other hand too many mutators cause problems. I do not only speak about just mutators, but tons of new mutators nearly each server.
And what I also dislike a bit is, the different gamestyles that muators can create, thank god in INF2.86 Rav was widely used, cuz this cummunity is focused on realism.

On one hand I desire a clean and standart INF (the comfortability I have in AA:O, or some other games), get a server list, choose a server with a map you have and with some free slots, click on it, wait a bit and play.
But on the other hand the mutator feature gives you more interesting stuff and variation.
I´m just confused and don´t know what to say, lol. I let the devs decide :D.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Does UT2004 has the same feature of downloading stuff while connecting to the server like UT?

Not important, but if I rethink it, I think I would vote for UT004. I guess people would miss the 'mutator terror' :D.

They is also SWAT4 in production (demos available), it is based on the Vengeance engine, which is based on the newer Unreal engine. It has nice textures, but I find the models ugly as hell, the weapons look like CS 0.2 and the SWAT models look totaly screwed, but maybe it is a good platform for INF? And it would stay an Unreal engine (guess mutator feature too) ;).
Oh, and the AI is also made for team tactics.

Last edited:

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Psychomorph said:
...works on most near outdated computers...

I have a whole room of PCs and Macs that would beg to differ...

UT2k4 was more taxing on my PC than HL2 was. Not such a great engine...

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
You can "plug" little mutators in HL mods as well but it's limited. There is a bunch of server side mods for counter strike (with tweaks to the gameplay or the scoring) as well as client side mods (bots mainly).