PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreak 2004 Bonus Pack: Classic Maps

ZedMaestro
30th Dec 2004, 06:30 PM
Its time to kick-start the Jailbreak 2004 revival with this bumper map pack. Its a collection of remakes of some of the best original UTJB maps made. The first was started in late September, and now 6 maps are almost ready for release.

A little apology first: I now wish that I'd made public betas of these maps earlier, since it was extremely difficult to get the Jailbreak team to test the maps. From now on, maps will be made public earlier.

With the exception of the first, all these maps have been made using almost entirely stock textures and static meshes. I dont have the skills to make my own content (or myLevel content of retail maps). I hope you still think they look good and play well though.

So, here's a collection of original Jailbreak maps for the New Year. Due to attached image limits, there are 3 posts of two maps each. They should all be released in one pack in the very near future. Lets hope that more will go on in the world of Jailbreak and that more people will play. :)

Part 1!

JB-EternalCaves-Classic
Lets start with the only conversion of the pack, the original being courtesy of Andy "Fordy" Ford. EternalCaves is the classic small and tight lava cave map with long narrow ramps to the objectives. The jails have been modified from the top minigun section, and consequently look very nice when you enable projectors. Like the original, there are two jail exits; one to the Rocket Launcher, the other a teleporter to the Shock Rifle spawn room. Skaarj pupaes linger in the cages in the walls.
See the 1st and 2nd images.
JB-Arboria
One of my personal UTJB favourites, Arboria was a frantic map with an intriguing design which took a while to scale correctly for UT2004. This has been transformed a little and is now based on the wood/greenhouse style of DM-1on1-Idoma. Due to the absence of the ripper, a new but simple arena has been designed, featuring the Link Gun and Minigun. This was the map that requested the Sentinel Cannons for execution sequences to be made, and this one fires flak shells.
See the 3rd and 4th images.

ZedMaestro
30th Dec 2004, 06:35 PM
Part 2!

JB-Basmma
Basmma is one of the smallest Jailbreak maps, but with one of the biggest reputations. 27 people filled the original at the 2004 JELP! Its small, fast, mad, and features plenty of spammage when overcrowded. The remake has been based around DM-1on1-IronDust and wood, but has made a big difference for the execution sequence. The original was a booming sound, but thats now been replaced by a sliding floor that leaves players falling through a large cutting disk, followed by the traditional ragdoll effects. A small arena has been implemented too.
See the 1st and 2nd images.
JB-Snifam
Another classic small map that had to be remade was Nifam, now called Snifam, which translates to "Still No Idea For A Mapname". This map is known for the "base switching" scenario, as newly released prisoners jump out into the other team's base. Its been based around DM-1on1-Albatross, but with more wooden floors and stone rather than terrain. This has the next appearance of the Sentinel Cannons, but this time firing bio sludge.
See the 3rd and 4th images

ZedMaestro
30th Dec 2004, 06:40 PM
Part 3!

JB-Frostbite
This map wasnt originally on my "list" of maps to remake, but I wanted a theme change and this was the perfect alternative. Its probably a cross between DM-CBP1-Shifter and BR-Bifrost. Its got indoor cold metallic bases, and a larger-than-the-original outdoor terrain section, with trees and mounds. The flak cannon, bio rifle, a super pickup, and a health pickup are in the middle now due to its size. Snipers are still a big asset on this map though, and the map is still one of the harder maps to hit the switch due to the single base entrance.
See 1st and 2nd image.
JB-Grudge
Finally, a bisymmetrical map with a stoney theme. Grudge had a shield-belt that wasnt found by many players for years. It was only a lift-jump away. Anyway, this map features a drowning execution, which was difficult to set up. There was a small flaw in the execution with unwanted splash effects and sounds, but CoolDude has managed to come up with a fix for it. The map also features a new arena; a bio fight in a small and murky stone room.
See 3rd and 4th image.

_Lynx
30th Dec 2004, 11:24 PM
any chance to see a Dreary remade for JB?

SealClubber
31st Dec 2004, 06:22 AM
Baaaahhhh.. Those release points in JB-EternalCaves are going to be a pain! :mad:

Heres some others that could be remade aslo:

JB-Hydro
JB-Coret
JB-LavaGiant
JB-Esprit

;)

CoolDude
31st Dec 2004, 08:36 AM
:clap: Oh yeah, finally !!! :clap:
Can't wait to play these maps. ;)

Baaaahhhh.. Those release points in JB-EternalCaves are going to be a pain! :mad:Geez, you didn't even see it yet.
You probably never played the JB-III version then, never had any problems there. ;)

Boost
31st Dec 2004, 08:46 AM
YEEEHAW!!!!!! finally, there are small maps on the way. :crazydance: :crazydance: :crazydance:
Thank you Zed for making these maps!!!!! :fluffle: They are great maps and I love to play them, I know you will see me more often on 2k4 now. :clap: :clap: :clap: I will bring along some peeps who just LOVE NIFAM!!!

Please don't stop making new ones. ;)

mrloper
31st Dec 2004, 09:46 AM
When will the maps be released????

Angie
31st Dec 2004, 11:14 AM
:clap: Thank you very much for the maps Zed, they look great. :2thumb:
And please go on! There are lots of pretty maps - deck16, talaeron, rune 1 + 2, construction, gauntlet ..... :D
They are great maps and I love to play them, I know you will see me more often on 2k4 now. :clap: :clap: :clap: I will bring along some peeps
I will follow you Boost! \o/

57@RDU57
31st Dec 2004, 12:31 PM
Too bad they're smallish maps, but otherwise nothing but YAY!!, especially for the execution sequences! :D

57@RDU57
31st Dec 2004, 01:38 PM
Heres some others that could be remade aslo:
JB-LavaGiant

Seconded! Definitely one of my favorites. As is CTF-BridgeOfFate, btw. Might make a fine JB map. The jails could be cages which are suspended above the central abyss (one on either side, connected to the outer bridge/walkway). During the execution sequence the bottom swings open, and the prisoners fall to their deaths. Shouldn't be too complicated, coding wise.

The rest of the map could stay pretty much the way it is, except for the flags which get replaced by those lock thingies.

Trueblood
31st Dec 2004, 01:43 PM
Just the responce he needed too :)
hope his maps manage to draw more to the mothership (this Sunday by the way :o )

CoRporis
31st Dec 2004, 03:22 PM
Cool can't wait for it!!!!!!!

ZedMaestro
31st Dec 2004, 08:39 PM
I mentioned in another post somewhere that Teddie, the mapper of CTF-FaceClassic and Deck17, has actually started converting these maps to Jailbreak. He just needs to be woken up to finish them ;)

I've actually already converted alkazex's CTF-Gauntlet-Classic, but I'm not allowed to release it until the CTF has been released unless he says so... which he hasnt responded to yet.

SpoonDog has mentioned that he has (or intends to) convert his CTF-LavaGiant-Classic to Jailbreak too, so that may come sometime too.

About a release... the only map which I think has any jobs pending in it is Frostbite. I just need to put a few more blocking volumes in so that you cant get underneath the floor which is rising to the laser-net ceiling :)

Trueblood
1st Jan 2005, 04:51 AM
I just need to put a few more blocking volumes in so that you cant get underneath the floor which is rising to the laser-net ceiling :)
ha HA! :D

G.Lecter
1st Jan 2005, 10:29 AM
These maps look nice. Can't wait to test them... :2thumb:
I mentioned in another post somewhere that Teddie, the mapper of CTF-FaceClassic and Deck17, has actually started converting these maps to Jailbreak. He just needs to be woken up to finish them

SpoonDog has mentioned that he has (or intends to) convert his CTF-LavaGiant-Classic to Jailbreak too, so that may come sometime too.
mmhmm... :hmm: I think FaceClassic is not the best map for Jailbreak. It will be just a camper fight... :(
Deck17 would be OK... :rolleyes:
And LavaGiant... It would be quite similar to CastleBreak.

Sexmachine
1st Jan 2005, 10:52 AM
Deck16 is a classic and I can't wait for the Jailbreak 2004 version and even though Face might not suit JB perfectly I'd be glad to have it, as it brings some diversity to Jailbreak 2004. Go Teddie !!! :)

57@RDU57
2nd Jan 2005, 03:25 AM
I think FaceClassic is not the best map for Jailbreak. It will be just a camper fight... :(

Well, it will be a sniper fight, which is what the map is, and always has been, all about. ;)

Deck17 would be OK... :rolleyes:
And LavaGiant... It would be quite similar to CastleBreak.

Maybe, but lava is, uh, COOL. Creates a totally different atmosphere, and you can push players into it. Hmmm!

tarquin
2nd Jan 2005, 04:04 AM
I mean to eventually remake LostFalls... but it's going to have to wait until I get a new PC and UT2004... don't hold your breath!

Great work, Zed!!!! :D

G.Lecter
2nd Jan 2005, 07:32 AM
As is CTF-BridgeOfFate, btw. Might make a fine JB map. The jails could be cages which are suspended above the central abyss (one on either side, connected to the outer bridge/walkway). During the execution sequence the bottom swings open, and the prisoners fall to their deaths. Shouldn't be too complicated, coding wise.

The rest of the map could stay pretty much the way it is, except for the flags which get replaced by those lock thingies.
Hey, it's a good idea. :) IMO it's better converting the BR version (has not the side paths in the bases), and the jails could fall instead opening the bottom... ;)

Mychaeel
2nd Jan 2005, 09:42 AM
Upload of the installers (four flavors: ut4mod and plain archive, each in both .zip and .7z format) is in progress -- I'll keep you posted... :)

Mychaeel
2nd Jan 2005, 11:40 AM
Well, the files are uploaded and await being mirrored... stay tuned:Http://www.planetjailbreak.com/download/jb200x-maps/mappack-classic.html

ZedMaestro
2nd Jan 2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks Mych :D

Currently its available from FileFront and JetStream Games.

The_Head
2nd Jan 2005, 02:43 PM

Nice, although imo the version in the DE bonus pack released for UT2003 looks much nicer, can someone convert that one.....

I mentioned in another post somewhere that Teddie, the mapper of CTF-FaceClassic and Deck17, has actually started converting these maps to Jailbreak. He just needs to be woken up to finish them

That will save me trying to do Faceclassic and getting his permission Like a lot of people were asking me to do...

G.Lecter
2nd Jan 2005, 03:34 PM
:clap: Nice, Zed. Downloaded. You should put the link in the 1st post.
I will check all the maps in the following days. I can post some feedback then if you want... ;)

ZedMaestro
2nd Jan 2005, 08:32 PM
Sh*t. Arboria has a nice fat HoM in it as you walk down around the link gun area. I can only get it to appear on one side, but I've been told it happens on both. I will re-release Arboria because that HoM seriously interferes with the map.

Basmma also has a small HoM in it. If you look on the inside of the curvy corner on the red side, you'll see a small HoM caused by an alpha texture being placed on a BSP surface. I've asked Mych if something can be done about this "outside" the map, but if not, then should I release a fix?
I said to Mych that I "almost definitely" wouldnt re-release Basmma because of this, but I'm very tempted to because Arboria has a problem too. (ie because there has to be a replacement for one map, why not put another one in too).

For both these bugs, I'm astonished that I or anyone else didnt notice them.

Mychaeel
3rd Jan 2005, 02:57 AM
I've asked Mych if something can be done about this "outside" the map
Textures on surfaces can't be replaced dynamically. It would be possible, though, to place a (dynamically lit) static mesh somewhere in front of the HOM, though, if that helps.

ZedMaestro
3rd Jan 2005, 06:08 AM
Would it be better to just make a JB-Basmma-Gold to go with a necessary (and already done) JB-Arboria-Gold?

Mychaeel
3rd Jan 2005, 08:28 AM
Is there any way you could fix Arboria without a rebuild -- perhaps by placing a sheet-shaped static mesh in front of the HOM?

I'm seriously considering creating that map patch tool I was talking about, but I wouldn't do it unless there's a real gain from it.

ZedMaestro
3rd Jan 2005, 11:29 AM
Heh, it isnt possible to fix Arboria's HoM without a rebuild. Its quite big and right across a doorway. Here's the HoM:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Carbohydrates/HOM.jpg

Basmma's certainly could be fixed by placing a dynamically lit (what does that mean exactly?) static mesh actor. Any actor that is a simple sheet of some kind can be placed there, rotated, skinned, etc to cover that up.

CoolDude
3rd Jan 2005, 01:46 PM
Could someone please add these files to the mothership?
Hey SM, wake up !!! ;)

While you're at it, /me still points at my sig.

ZedMaestro
3rd Jan 2005, 04:42 PM
Mych, if you would like to attempt this fix, I've got the .ut2 file of the static mesh in exactly the right position and with the right properties here for you.

Note to everyone, this attachment only contains a single static mesh, it is not a new version or a fix of JB-Basmma's HoM ;)

Sexmachine
4th Jan 2005, 05:21 PM
I am happy to tell ya that the maps have found their way to the Jailbreak 2004 MotherShip. :)

ZedMaestro
6th Jan 2005, 01:11 PM
Since Arboria-v2 has been made, Basmma's mini-HoM was fixed the proper way with a new version, thus being Basmma-v2.

They'll be released soon :)

Sexmachine
6th Jan 2005, 03:02 PM
I suggest to stick with the "Gold" suffix ... please please !

tarquin
6th Jan 2005, 03:20 PM
but then what do you do when you discover need to fix the gold version?
/me runs

ZedMaestro
6th Jan 2005, 03:28 PM
But wasnt the Gold suffix used for ECE maps?

Heights is -v2 because its the second version of the Gold map. Arboria should be -v2 because its the second version of the original map. Basmma should be -v2 because its the second version of the original map.

:)

Sexmachine
6th Jan 2005, 03:58 PM
Right. I forgot about JB-Heights-Gold-v2. You got point!

Trueblood
7th Jan 2005, 02:58 AM
thats...JB-Heights-Gold-v2-BETA1 :o
but anyway Gold sounds kinda "naff" to me :p

The_Head
7th Jan 2005, 09:50 AM
but anyway Gold sounds kinda "naff" to me :p
Ditto that.....

Mychaeel
7th Jan 2005, 10:55 AM
"Gold" has a certain tradition -- the last version of Jailbreak III was called "Gold," and so the only two previously released maps which were bundled with it (the others were all new) were updated and got the "-Gold" suffix.

We did the same when preparing Jailbreak 2004 for UT2004 ECE when it was still not clear how UT2004 ECE would actually be called -- "UT2004 Gold" was indeed a working title for a while. We could just as well have called them "-ECE" instead -- might have been neater in retrospect, but then again, names are but sound and smoke... ;)

ZedMaestro
8th Jan 2005, 06:09 PM
I've asked alkazex, the mapper of the unreleased CTF-Gauntlet-Classic (due for release with Flag Pack 2... which could be months away ;)) if I could release JB-Gauntlet-Classic. Him and the team have agreed, so as a way of apologising for 2 replaced maps, ;) the update pack will contain JB-Gauntlet-Classic hopefully :D

Angie
9th Jan 2005, 02:00 AM
Yeehaw! Canīt wait for the release Zed! And donīt forget to place Boostīs and my lovely flak cannon somewhere in the map. ;)
:flak:

TheSpoonDog
9th Jan 2005, 06:15 AM
I've asked alkazex, the mapper of the unreleased CTF-Gauntlet-Classic (due for release with Flag Pack 2... which could be months away ) if I could release JB-Gauntlet-Classic. Him and the team have agreed, so as a way of apologising for 2 replaced maps, the update pack will contain JB-Gauntlet-Classic hopefully

If you don't mind having a non-Zed map in there, perhaps JB-LavaGiant-Classic (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=1714061#post1714061) could go in there aswell ;)

ZedMaestro
9th Jan 2005, 07:10 AM
Well, time for a little announcement then:

I got a PM from a representative of PC Gamer UK, and they want the Classic Map Pack on their coverdisk! Of course, I agreed. I informed them that the pack is going to be updated, and they told me that they need the pack ready sometime this week... and I wouldnt want to be later than wednesday.

So, if you can get LavaGiant-Classic completed and tested by then, it can quite happily go in :)

ZedMaestro
9th Jan 2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks to all those who fell through the terrain in Grudge. To fix that, I would have had to redo the entire terrain since that was the maximum size of the terrain.

I wasnt that fond of that area, so I redesigned it with the BSP theme of the main areas of the map. I rather it actually.

So, JB-Grudge-v2 will be released with the update pack too :rolleyes:

TheSpoonDog
9th Jan 2005, 08:03 PM
Never mind then, Lavagiant won't be done this week, unless someone else wants to finish it :P I was just thinking if Gauntlet could make it, then Lavagiant could, but yea.

CoolDude
10th Jan 2005, 01:09 AM
So, JB-Grudge-v2 will be released with the update pack too :rolleyes:While your at it, the bots really suck in making the hole jump to the releaseswitch. They fall down the hole way too much. Can you please look into that?

ZedMaestro
10th Jan 2005, 02:50 AM
I noticed that too, and I noticed a pattern too... it appears to alternate between a successful double jump and a failed jump. I moved the JumpSpot actors away from the edge a bit more (so that the increased distance should force bots to double jump) but the pattern above still seems to happen.

I'll fiddle a bit more, but if I cant improve it, the JB-Grudge-v2 I sent you CD will have to be the final version.

ZedMaestro
10th Jan 2005, 04:46 AM
Final versions have been submitted to Mych for packing.

ZedMaestro
12th Jan 2005, 04:23 AM
JB-Gauntlet-Classic
A conversion of the unreleased CTF-Gauntlet-Classic by alazex (due for release in Flag Pack 2 sometime). This conversion is true to the original; same jail positions, exit routes, arena, etc, although the jail escape door is now triggered by a JBTriggerTimed rather than a human ladder (it was too high for a human ladder anyway). Its a very good remake, and comes complete with a remixed track of the original music. While it may seem advantageous to be on the blue team, the map is actually quite well balanced.
Jail:
http://www.ut-jailbreak.de/ZedMaestro/Screenshots/Gauntlet-Classic Jail.jpg

Arena:
http://www.ut-jailbreak.de/ZedMaestro/Screenshots/Gauntlet-Classic Arena.jpg

Mychaeel
12th Jan 2005, 05:04 AM
Well, release v2 including Gauntlet is out:Jailbreak 2004 Classic Map Pack (http://www.planetjailbreak.com/download/jb200x-maps/mappack-classic.html)

ZedMaestro
12th Jan 2005, 05:32 AM
Excellent :D

Thanks Mych :)

4WD
12th Jan 2005, 06:27 AM
woohoo :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

ZedMaestro
12th Jan 2005, 06:37 PM
And the maps are already in rotation :D

Sexmachine
13th Jan 2005, 01:44 AM
Yepp, that's what I tried to post twice last night but the forum decided to ignore me. :(

However, the MotherShip is now updated - thank you for this great map pack! :)

tarquin
13th Jan 2005, 05:23 AM
I replied to your PM about it, Zed, but I think the forums ate it.... :(

basically I just said I'll post news about it on Saturday.

ZedMaestro
13th Jan 2005, 07:41 AM
Okey dokey :)

G.Lecter
14th Jan 2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for your hard work, ZedMaestro. I played only Arboria & became one of my favourites. I hope the other ones are as good as this one ;).
Hehe... :lol:, with this pack we have more JB maps than DOMs :D :D

tarquin
15th Jan 2005, 08:22 AM
I've posted PJB news.
I have the password for BU hosted site news.... but not the URL :( -- and my network won't let me on to IRC to ask at #bu
can someone either post something to that or tell me what it is please?

Mychaeel
15th Jan 2005, 08:28 AM
http://beyondunreal.com/hostedNews/

tarquin
15th Jan 2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks Mych :)

BU updated. If anyone's on IRC, you might want to point it out to any BU news posters around.

Have a good lockdown everyone!!

Sexmachine
17th Jan 2005, 06:08 AM
@tarq: This pack holds three updated maps (Arboria, Basmma & Grudge) + JB-Gauntlet ... not just two as you have posted on our newspage. :)

tarquin
17th Jan 2005, 10:35 AM
Fixed.

curlyj
17th Jan 2005, 12:14 PM
the link to the new map pack patch is down! :-(

ZedMaestro
17th Jan 2005, 12:44 PM
BU lost all its FileWorks mirrors, so we have a temporary download location for only 2 of the 6 available formats, as we filled up the FTP.

Check out the download page (http://www.planetjailbreak.com/download/jb200x-maps/mappack-classic.html) and chose a suitable format. If you've got a decent connection there will hardly be any difference between downloading 40MB to 20MB ;)

gunhero
30th Jan 2005, 01:34 AM
thanks zed, wanted to thank u on ut2k4 official forums but they dont accept freemail

wow you are a great mapper.

Sexmachine
30th Jan 2005, 05:57 AM
Looks like the Jailbreak 2004 files are back on BU - can somebody please verify this and reset the links on our download page (http://www.planetjailbreak.com/download/jb200x-maps/mappack-classic.html).

About my webspace (used for temp. links): The included (read: free) max. download volume is 5GB and right now the counter is at 12GB and my provider is going to charge me 0,5 Ct. per additional MB (thats 35,00 EUR by now) - thanks Zed ... you could have (at least) asked/waited for my permission before you abuse my webspace. :(

Mychaeel
30th Jan 2005, 06:29 AM
Looks like the Jailbreak 2004 files are back on BU - can somebody please verify this and reset the links on our download page (http://www.planetjailbreak.com/download/jb200x-maps/mappack-classic.html).Confirmed and changed.

About my webspace (used for temp. links): The included (read: free) max. download volume is 5GB and right now the counter is at 12GB and my provider is going to charge me 0,5 Ct. per additional MB (thats 35,00 EUR by now) - thanks Zed ... you could have (at least) asked/waited for my permission before you abuse my webspace. :(Didn't you know about this "abuse" before you got that bandwidth bill...? (Zed, didn't you send him an email or something?)

I'll send you those 35 EUR from the MSU/ECE pool via PayPal.

ZedMaestro
30th Jan 2005, 07:06 AM
Erm... no I didn't email him about it. I had no idea about download limitations.

I didn't know what else to do... Rev's unlimited FTP was down, and although I have FTP space at University they don't allow outside connections to it anymore (copyright laws were severly breached a few years ago).

I'm really sorry :(

Sexmachine
30th Jan 2005, 07:28 AM
Didn't you know about this "abuse" before you got that bandwidth bill?Nope I did not know. There was no need for me to check the classic map pack download page in the last 3 weeks and nobody informed me about it. Forget about the money, it's just that I dislike the fact of not being informed or asked before such things happen (me looks at Zed) ... however I take Zed's excuse and we can close this chapter. :)

Mychaeel
30th Jan 2005, 07:30 AM
Too bad -- I've already sent you the PayPal money order. If you don't want the money, just ignore it -- it'll expire in a couple of weeks.

Sexmachine
30th Jan 2005, 07:35 AM
/me turns into "ignore mode"

ZedMaestro
30th Jan 2005, 07:50 AM
Thought I'd let you know that JB-Furia is officially "work in progress" :)

gunhero
30th Jan 2005, 11:40 AM

hey dude,

it seems like you got in trouble in a couple a posts back there and i take it that you didnt see my post

i'd just like to say i think your maps are ace and if you need a beta tester i am willing to test your maps as i was a shattered oasis map/gameplay tester and i squashed about 80 bugs... :) my email is serialata@msn.com if you want to contact me

ZedMaestro
30th Jan 2005, 11:46 AM

ZedMaestro
30th Jan 2005, 01:16 PM
/me turns into "ignore mode"Will you be coming out of ignore mode soon? :p

gunhero
30th Jan 2005, 01:17 PM
Will you be coming out of ignore mode soon? :p

are you going to the lockdown?

ZedMaestro
30th Jan 2005, 01:35 PM
Maybe :)

Sexmachine
30th Jan 2005, 01:52 PM
Hehe, don't worry as the "ignore mode" is PayPal only ... ;)

TheSpoonDog
31st Jan 2005, 04:35 AM
Oh, good god, I was thinking in American/English/AUS/NZ there for a moment and I read that as three-thousand five hundred EUR... I was waiting to catch the bricks Zed would be sh1tting.

ZedMaestro
31st Jan 2005, 06:16 AM
Heh, I did momentarily think that too ;)

But I wouldnt be sh1tting bricks, and would you really want to be catching them? :confused: :p

Funktion
2nd Feb 2005, 09:02 AM

Got any screenshots to share with us? :D

ZedMaestro
2nd Feb 2005, 10:16 AM
Not yet.