How become a good player?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

paintwoop

Dec 29, 2004
Hello.
I have been playing ut2k4 for some time now.
Yet I feel that im still n00b.
I dont feel that my skill level have increased very much the time I have played this game.
I want to become a good ut2k4 player in deathmatch and 1on1's. (I dont care about ons and all that...)
Can you people out there share your experinces about how to become a good ut2k4 player?

Should I start to play on n00b servers? Or should I play on servers where the pros play?

Give me some tips please. :)

Thanks.

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
Either playing on a demo server or a really competitive server works, but I would recommend a demo server. If you are average and can hold your own, try new things once and awhile.

If you want an experience: I used to play a lot of FaceClassic, and would usually play with this awesome guy, DeathScythe. (Yes, look his stats up) I wasn't a big shock combo user, and I could never kill him, so the day I killed him was with a shock combo. *GASP* wait! I tried something new and it worked!

Moral of the story: Try new stuff, you never know what might happen. Also, try to develop an original movement pattern. most people strafe side to side, and it works.

Edit: Wait... I'm not a DM player... I shouldn't be telling you this... :eek:

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
You're not really going to find any servers where "pro"s play at due to two reasons:

1. There are only a few "pro" players ( a pro player is someone who makes thier living off gaming.

2. Even if you were to see these players online, the servers they play on would be passworded heavily to keep at pub players.

What I would suggest is that you watch demos of the better players, understand what they are doing right and copy that to your own tactics. Figure out what they are doing wrong and then avoid those problems or correct them to make you a stronger player. Get up to the level of the players you watched then go out and find the demos of the players who stop the players you were figuring out. Repeat these steps until you've got a solid game strategy down that will always work for you. But don't forget that the best learning experience is to go out and try enything and everything in the game. If certain techniques you viewed don't work out for you, find what's most comfortable to you and what gets the most frags. Movement, aim, prediction, map layout, weapons choice, power up controlling, spawn points, all of these elemnts are key to a sucessful player.

I can't relly stress enough that ponly practice will truely make you a better player. All the demos in the world won't increase your skill unless you decide to get online and game. :)

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
What he said!

Here's my "tip of the day":
I found keeping to one weapon at a time helps you a lot even if it gets you fragged more often while you learn. For example if you always use a lightning gun you'll not only improve you're skill with it... but after a while you'll start to pick up on when and where you should or shouldnt be using it. Same for all weapons. Each one has it's own "place" you might say in the game. Once you get a feel for each weapon and it's uses then start working on your weapon switching according to the situation you are in. Hotkeys are the name of the game. :)

Lord Bane

Dec 24, 2004
Im still new to the game and im not very good yet. ive improved alot just by moving just enough to not be hit so easy, and i dont move so much where i cant aim the more i jump the less accurate i am so im more controled in my movements but still fairly hard to hit and i aim alot better.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Practice, practice, practice. If you're getting fragged too easily, ask yourself why. Are you a bunny-hopping rocket spammer? Do you chase people, only to meet your untimely demise? Do you always get the powerups first, or does someone else?

Maybe you could demorec a few of your matches and watch them to learn what mistakes you're making, then move to correct them. I'm in the middle of that now (as a bunny-hopping rocket-spamming super-aggressive chaser who doesn't care about powerups.)

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
BooGiTyBoY said:
What he said!

Here's my "tip of the day":
I found keeping to one weapon at a time helps you a lot even if it gets you fragged more often while you learn. For example if you always use a lightning gun you'll not only improve you're skill with it... but after a while you'll start to pick up on when and where you should or shouldn't be using it. Same for all weapons. Each one has it's own "place" you might say in the game. Once you get a feel for each weapon and it's uses then start working on your weapon switching according to the situation you are in. Hotkeys are the name of the game. :)

Excellent advice BooGiTyBoY. :tup: I often recommend the same thing. I also practice what I preach. If I find myself struggling to get kills with Shock Rifle for instance, I will spend a whole day using nothing but the shock.

Everyone has a favorite weapon, but you need to be an efficient killer with ALL weapons.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I find that I learn the most simply by playing with better players and learning from them. Come by FragBU on the weekends or stop in the #fragbu channel and ask for a pickup game. If you're as new as you say you are, you could learn a lot. Most of the FragBU people are willing to give you tips.