Watch for new players!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
I've noticed quite a few new players the past couple of days, which indicates UT2K4 was probably a fairly popular Christmas gift. :tup: Anyway, if you see a new player, or if someone asks a question, take a minute and answer it for him! We don't want new players to give up and play Counter-Strike do we? Nope. So help 'em out. :)

I had a few people ask me about dodges, double-jumps, how to use my shield gun, etc... I answered almost all of their questions, but obviously you don't want to type all day when you could be fragging. So what do you do about the guy that is asking a million questions? Bring down your console and type:

set input x say Visit forums.beyondunreal.com for more info, tips and tricks!

Then just press "x" next time someone asks you how to double jump. :cool:

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
What if i want to mapvote? :(

Yeah but seriously i was playing abit of hellbenderrace and there were so many people asking how to change seats in the hellbender! I got really pissed in the end

rajput_warrior

The World's Favorite Flak Monkey
Feb 26, 2004
BC, Canada
lol, reminds me of me when i first starting playing the ut2004 demo, found this site by accident and asked the most nub like questions, this place rox :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Well, at least CS is somewhat enjoyable and team oriented. I mean, they could be playing Halo multiplayer... [shudders]

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
DP, I haven't actually played CS myself, but my roommate used to on occasion, and has played CS:Source a few times, and it looks like it could be fun. Once I get back to school and get my computer on the Internet again, I'll try it out. I mean, how bad can it be? It's got to be better than Halo...

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Never ditch the Halo multiplayer darnit :mad:

It has its good points, they just need to not make the pistol the strongest weapon on earth.

And for the new players, if they are asking simple questions like how do i use the ion painter, whats the deal with the shield gun, you know that kind of stuff, ill gladely tell them to RTFM. Thats why they pack that 40 page book with the game so you can learn the basics, not ask about them.

Lord Bane

Dec 24, 2004
spineblaZe said:
I've noticed quite a few new players the past couple of days, which indicates UT2K4 was probably a fairly popular Christmas gift. :tup: Anyway, if you see a new player, or if someone asks a question, take a minute and answer it for him! We don't want new players to give up and play Counter-Strike do we? Nope. So help 'em out. :)

I had a few people ask me about dodges, double-jumps, how to use my shield gun, etc... I answered almost all of their questions, but obviously you don't want to type all day when you could be fragging. So what do you do about the guy that is asking a million questions? Bring down your console and type:

set input x say Visit forums.beyondunreal.com for more info, tips and tricks!

Then just press "x" next time someone asks you how to double jump. :cool:

Ya alot of people dont play through the sp mode to familiarize themselves with certain game modes what have you.All ive played online is DM i wouldnt want to be a pest and go into an onslaught match and be lost and be a set back for my team.But as of now im playing through the sp campaign and almost to the point where i get to try onslaught.I think people should familiarize themselves with the game before they take it online.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
That's decent advice, but I can't completely agree. Yes, play offline for awhile before getting online, but mainly to familiarize yourself with the weapons and movement. Gameplay changes A LOT online. CTF/ONS/AS/everything offline will never be to the same caliber as against bots, so even if you play CTF offline for a year before playing online, you'll still have to learn how to play online because of the differences. I'd advise playing online as soon as possible with people you know are decent (or better) rather than random pubs to get used to how the games are really played rather than how some bots play it. FragBU is a good place to learn. ;)

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
I'd love to seem more people playing UT2004, but today's gamers are all about single player mode. Notice how HL2 and Halo 2 sold well? People don't play Halo 2 online, HL2; more to an extent. I'm surprised people are still buying UT2004, most people have neglected it due to HL2 and Halo 2's shadow.

Cpt. Toilet: The manual does a good job of explaining the really beginner basics, but not the fundamentals. How is someone supposed to know that when they are falling using the shield protects you? Not even those facts on the loading screen help that much.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
According to GSi Stats, no arguements please.

Tenkken said:
I'd love to seem more people playing UT2004, but today's gamers are all about single player mode. Notice how HL2 and Halo 2 sold well? People don't play Halo 2 online, HL2; more to an extent. I'm surprised people are still buying UT2004, most people have neglected it due to HL2 and Halo 2's shadow.

Half-Life 2 DM has 3,000 players, Counter-Strike: Source has 30,000 (which is going to rise). I heard a rumour that Halo 2 MP had almost 1 million simultanious players at one point. Let's not forget other recent games. CoD/CoD:UO has anywhere up to 15,000 players. UT2004 has around 6,000 (up from 3,000 six months ago).

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
I was refering to HL2 DM only, not CS: S and COD. ffs my post says "single player mode". Face it, no one buys CoD and CS: S just to play single player mode. People only play single player mode in more competitve games like CoD, CS: S, and UT2004 as a way to get better.

I'm not sure about the global stats of Halo 2, but the point I was trying to make was people bought Halo 2 for its single player.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Turns2Ashes said:
DP, I haven't actually played CS myself, but my roommate used to on occasion, and has played CS:Source a few times, and it looks like it could be fun. Once I get back to school and get my computer on the Internet again, I'll try it out. I mean, how bad can it be? It's got to be better than Halo...
-5 more. I'd much, much, MUCH rather play Halo over CS. Any day. All day.

It's got Vehicles, after all. :p

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Well, it depends... in the new CS, can you take the M3, jump, fire, and have the shot actually land where your xhair was?

If that is the case, CS being a faster paced game then Halo anything, I'd rather play it. Xbox Controllers blow alsmost as much as a shotgun suffering from aim modifyers. You don't aim a shotgun, stuff that effects aim, shouldn't effect the shotgun.[/rant]

Yea, I'm with Scum. VOIP keeps the hands mostly free.