PDA

View Full Version : Crash at starting screen

Titan22
14th Dec 2004, 07:32 PM
Alright after I start XMP I get to the "logo" screen where I see XMP in big letters. I click to get to the main menu but everything just freezes. Ctrl+Alt+Dlt doesn't do anything. After about a minute the game quits by itself. Everything is in 8bit or something like it's in safe mode. I get an error saying my graphics card device has failed on my desktop. Sometimes my computer restarts before I even get to my desktop.

My comp:
Windows XP Pro
1 gig of DRR400 PC3200 RAM
AMD Athlon 3000xp+ oc'd to 3200xp
160 gig 7200rpm hard drive
Geforce 4 Ti4200 128mb DDR (6.6.9.3 drivers)
I have the 3339 patch for UT2k4 too.

I normally play UT with all my settings at the highest settings flawless. Rarely have any problems with my computer. This is really strange to me. If there's no solution, im going to assume a reinstall of Windows and UT2k4 will do the trick. (im upgradding to a 6800 this Christmas)

P.S. I'm new to the forums forgive me if I did something stupid and nooby!!! :(

Fyre
15th Dec 2004, 03:55 AM
I can get into the startup movie but beyond that is just luck, most of the time my puter freezes and resets (cold restart after about 10 seconds of crash anticpation)

System-
Windows XP Pro
2 sticks of 512M DDR PC2100 RAM
AMD AthlonXP 3200
ASUS A7N8X-X Motherboard
Geforce 4 Ti4200 128mb DDR w/ 6.6.9.3 drivers
3339 patch fer UT

On rare occasions the game will actually get past the splash screen and move onto the main menue, but it looks all wierd (i'd get you a screenshot if it didnt crash quite so often =P) and all the menues have un-readable fonts.

After restarting from the much anticpated crash, windows gives me the generic "your system has recovered from a serious error, windows has detected that your display device was unable to complete a draw process" -or something very similar.

Anyway, I hope that helps you solve the problem. Checked nVidia's site and it says the Gf4 Ti supports pixel shaders so I'm out'a ideas, but from the looks of it, it may be the video card doing the damage.

Best of luck,
Fyre-

|pure|Destruction
15th Dec 2004, 09:03 AM
I can get into the startup movie but beyond that is just luck, most of the time my puter freezes and resets (cold restart after about 10 seconds of crash anticpation)

System-
Windows XP Pro
2 sticks of 512M DDR PC2100 RAM
AMD AthlonXP 3200
ASUS A7N8X-X Motherboard
Geforce 4 Ti4200 128mb DDR w/ 6.6.9.3 drivers
3339 patch fer UT

On rare occasions the game will actually get past the splash screen and move onto the main menue, but it looks all wierd (i'd get you a screenshot if it didnt crash quite so often =P) and all the menues have un-readable fonts.

After restarting from the much anticpated crash, windows gives me the generic "your system has recovered from a serious error, windows has detected that your display device was unable to complete a draw process" -or something very similar.

Anyway, I hope that helps you solve the problem. Checked nVidia's site and it says the Gf4 Ti supports pixel shaders so I'm out'a ideas, but from the looks of it, it may be the video card doing the damage.

Best of luck,
Fyre-

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Maybe overclocked a bit? Or you video card settings are maxed out or something. Cause 2k4 wont cause your pc to reboot on its own. Usually happens with a hardware failure. -"windows has detected that your display device was unable to complete a draw process"-

RunningRiot
15th Dec 2004, 05:08 PM
i got the same problem when i first started up the game. where it froze and there was nothing i could do about it but restart. the 2nd time i started up i can do everything till i get to the actually game. i pick my class and then it just crashes during the deployment. i have tried all 3 classes and its all the same. heres the message i get.

UT2004 Build UT2004_Patch_[2004-06-11_16.51]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2165 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: RADEON 9600 SERIES (6436)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::ProcessEvent <- (XMPRangerRed XMP-CrashFlight.XMPRangerRed, Function XMP.XMPPawn.PostNetBeginPlay) <- ULevel::SpawnActor <- (XMPRangerRed) <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (XMPGame XMP-CrashFlight.XMPGame, Function XMP.XMPGame.MatchInProgress.Timer) <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=2) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Crash Flight <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 676F4C57 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I can play UT2k4 with all the settings to the max with no problem at all.

Fyre
15th Dec 2004, 06:13 PM
UT plays fine, I've never had it crash on me before, but the XMP mod just dose not agree with my system.

If theres anything else I can do to help debug, leme know ^_^

Fyre-

^_^
15th Dec 2004, 10:40 PM
its gotta be these new drivers on the old gf4s making this happen,go back a few sets,maybe even to the 50.xx dets

riot,you need the latest 2k4 patch

Fyre
15th Dec 2004, 11:34 PM
Yup, that worked. Reinstalling to the disk-drivers [5.2.1.6] and it works just peachy, however, I would still like to keep ma drivers up to date. If its something you all can fix I'd be with much happyness =P

Fyre-

[[Vash]]
16th Dec 2004, 12:07 AM
Heh you know what caused mine to restart? ZoneAlarm. Damn thing wouldn't let me change the settings so it would allow access, so it froze and rebooted itself.

^_^
16th Dec 2004, 12:46 AM
Yup, that worked. Reinstalling to the disk-drivers [5.2.1.6] and it works just peachy, however, I would still like to keep ma drivers up to date. If its something you all can fix I'd be with much happyness =P

Fyre-
the newer drivers push these older cards over there limits just to get 1 fps in a time demo for there fx line
alot of problems with them running to hot/graphical glitches.(esp in 2k4)
You could try underclocking it like 10/20 mhz with newer drivers ,but cant guarentee that would work
Id just google for coolbits for that(if it doesnt have and OC utility allready)
Really,unless your having specific problems,I wouldnt worry about using a older set
Sometimes newer doesnt mean better,mostly just bug fixes

Nekrataal
16th Dec 2004, 03:47 AM
]']Heh you know what caused mine to restart? ZoneAlarm. Damn thing wouldn't let me change the settings so it would allow access, so it froze and rebooted itself.
Yep, I know that one. Every new game I wanna play online I have to start in a window first to click away the Zonealarm dialogues first time (and of course making Zonealarm remember it for next time) otherwise my system just freezes ...

Yukkoman
16th Dec 2004, 04:11 AM
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3294.html

Forceware 67.22 as of 15dec if anyone missed, couldnt find the update yet on nvidias own homepage.

Titan22
16th Dec 2004, 04:26 PM
Alright, thanks for all the responses. My video card currently is at its defualt clock. Overclocking gets really unstable for me and normally only adds an extra 2-3 fps. Plus, I have enough ambient heat floating around in my case anyways. Im not going to try the old drivers though. The new drivers fixed way too many things in alot in my games like Halo, Far Cry, Doom, to install just for XMP.
I'll just hope things go alot better in a full release or when I get my new video card.
I know what XMP is like though, I played the demo alot for Unreal II. Just never bought Unreal II :rolleyes: So I can't wait.