native + POSIX thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zisu

Rune Player
Dec 12, 2004
I don't know if this can be done, but I think I need to create a new thread since unreal only runs on one thread. And I need comments on the following.

redirected downloads for rune:
I have studied a bit POSIX threading and I believe spawning a new thread won't be impossible. Therefore also downloading, unzipping and installing the needed packages is possible, as the program is actually external from engine. What I don't know how to accomplish (yet at least), is how to make the call-backs... (Also, I dont know if the native code that makes a thread is concidered "main" and when exiting, pthread_exit() to be used to let the spawned threads to continue their execution.) IF the dll isn't actually destroyed but running as idle or something, then I could maybe give its threadid back for possible future use (dunno if its needed), and give a function pointer as a part of the argument struct when creating a new thread.. I can't directly call any uc function from this newly spawn thread but I'm hoping that through function pointer it is allowed. I think the parent class in uc that I choose for this will be actor and it is spawned to clients only.

This is most interesting stuff (even if it may not be possible). I know it was poorly explained, but I hope you guys can give some input, I need it. And all help is appreciated, including code/coding contribution. You can also laugh at me for trying. :lol:

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
The coding boards here are generally aimed at UScript coders ;) While your looking for help specifically with the Unreal Engine I would still suggest finding C++ specific forums to post this kind of question on as not many people here have experience in C++, the one here www.codeguru.com is not bad at all..there are loads of people in the forums there.

Most of what I do in C++ for Unreal is trial and error, as tedious as it is I try to get done what I want by experimenting and figuring stuff out for myself as much as possible and occasionaly I do need to ask more advanced coders for help/more source code, since so few people actually have worked in the native code you can probably expect to be in the same situation :)

I'd suggest also that you try find other people who worked on native projects in Unreal so if you get really stuck with something you can have more sources of help.

Last edited by a moderator: