Noob question...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Murtey

Unreal Newbie
Nov 24, 2004
United Kingdom
Hey all, i'm new...

I was just wandering what is the most popular gametype that clans play? Also i would like to know if there any special servers around for noobs?

I'm actually pretty good to say i'v only just started playing because i'v been 1st a few times on a few servers.

Thanks in advance for the help, :D

GlocKeD.

Murtey

Unreal Newbie
Nov 24, 2004
United Kingdom
Right ok thanks. I think Instagib is ace but a normal CTF clan would be more appealing to me because theres more tactics with the weapons you have to choose to use... Unlike just using the Instagib weapon.

Old Gil

°J2°'s resident lagger
Jun 20, 2004
play with us at FragBU every friday and saturday at 8:00 PM est. great place to learn, and have some fun :)

dub

Feb 12, 2002
[pimpage]Or seeing as your in the UK, you could try the Euro Frag BU also on weekends - tends to be a lot of Team DM or CTF - would be great to have a new face about :tup: [/pimpage]
(link on my sig, will take you to the last Frag BeU thread, from last weekend)

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
TDM > iCTF

edhe said:
probably ictf, sadly.

I dunno, TDM is rapidly gaining ground at the moment, with lots of new clans starting up, with many established clans creating TDM squads. Although iCTF does still have a large sommunity, many people still find instagib to be a bit of a one-trick-pony of a gametype.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
BR's a dead gametype, ONS is old already.

Sel -> probably right about that, we've just kicked off a TDM group too. God knows why though, i really do have a that'scool/absolutehate thing with TDM.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Pick your battles :)

GloCkeD said:
Ok cool i never have had chance to have a good go at TDM so i think i might have to these holidays :) :p

A word of warning about TDM, it tends to have a much higher "skill" level than the other gametypes, so be warned, there are a lot of very tough players out there :)

In this context "skill" refers to actually fragging/combat ability, rather than positioning/speed etc :)

SharKTanK

:zzz:
Oct 5, 2003
Manchester
n00bkillin said:
I play BR! You dare skit the beast gametype!
Unfortunately, edhe is right... There isn't a whole lot of activity in BR (on Clanbase, anyway) atm.
I've been in 2 clans that played BR, one decided to drop it completely (normal weapons section, iBR still goes on... Barely...), and we haven't even played a match yet in (62) :(

It really is a kickass gametype, just doesn't bring in as many players as something like i/CTF or TDM... Off the top of my head there are about 7 or so active BR clans on Clanbase.
The benefit, however is that we're a closely knit community with no bitching or arguments at all and generally very happy chaps, heck we can't afford to lose more people.

Last edited:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Probably cause BR is quite a hard game type to play.
ONS for example, get's you quick kicks and instant gratification for little playing time/skill.
You can get owned in BR continuously without once touchign the ball in BR, if your new to it...

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
My Advice to any new players in this game is start with DM/TDM.

Selerox said:
A word of warning about TDM, it tends to have a much higher "skill" level than the other gametypes, so be warned, there are a lot of very tough players out there :)

In this context "skill" refers to actually fragging/combat ability, rather than positioning/speed etc :)

...and that says it all. Despite fragging not being the main goal of other gametypes, it is a necessary evil in every game type. Being good at it first will give you a solid base too work on in all other gametypes. If you get really good, you'll find the main challenges at other gametypes will be knowing when not to frag. As well, you'll find you have a bit of an edge on good players in a game type you are a noob too, and that is always a good feeling.

Murtey

Unreal Newbie
Nov 24, 2004
United Kingdom
-AEnubis- said:
My Advice to any new players in this game is start with DM/TDM.

...and that says it all. Despite fragging not being the main goal of other gametypes, it is a necessary evil in every game type. Being good at it first will give you a solid base too work on in all other gametypes. If you get really good, you'll find the main challenges at other gametypes will be knowing when not to frag. As well, you'll find you have a bit of an edge on good players in a game type you are a noob too, and that is always a good feeling.

Ok cheers for the tips guys :D

I played a good few games of TDM last night and really enjoyed playing them. I was on DM-Goliath and i was doing really good had most frags in the server and even more than the guys which had already been playing 5 minutes... Even if they were noobs it's still fair because i am a noobie too :lol:

But when I played DM-Antalus with the same players i got WIPED out... It was so hard to frag anybody. LOL . Oh well... Maybe next time ;)

GlocKeD

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Knowing the maps is very important with all gametypes :)

One of the key things with DM/TDM, is to get to know the maps back to front. The key points to know are the locations of the weapons, powerups (armour, amp, keg), health and the fastest ways to get from place to place.

With DM you don't have the luxury of vehicles or the translocator, so you have to rely on your movement skills. Dodge-jumping is the fastest way to travel, so try to minimise the time you spend just running when trying to get from place to place. Wall dodging is also a very useful trick to get between ledges etc.

Check out the Beginner's Movement Guide Movie for some great examples of DM/TDM movement :)

Murtey

Unreal Newbie
Nov 24, 2004
United Kingdom
Selerox said:
One of the key things with DM/TDM, is to get to know the maps back to front. The key points to know are the locations of the weapons, powerups (armour, amp, keg), health and the fastest ways to get from place to place.

With DM you don't have the luxury of vehicles or the translocator, so you have to rely on your movement skills. Dodge-jumping is the fastest way to travel, so try to minimise the time you spend just running when trying to get from place to place. Wall dodging is also a very useful trick to get between ledges etc.

Check out the Beginner's Movement Guide Movie for some great examples of DM/TDM movement :)

Nice cool yeah iv checked it out and i'm doing pretty good at double dodging now :p THANKS!