A beginners guide to UT2004: Movement (Movie)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
It's a movie made by me \o/ made it because I've seen how poorly many players move when playing DM on public servers. So instead of teaching all of them personally I thought I would just make a movie that shows them how to do some of the most important moves in the game If you are veteran of the game and know how to move around the most popular maps for competitive 1on1 and TDM then I don't think you will learn anything new by watching it, but you might wanna dl it for the kickass tunes ^^

Anyway I hope atleast some fill find this movie useful :)

http://www.badct.de/dlredir.php3?id=2448&type=file

Last edited:

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I'm not a dm'er but I like to watch instruction movies like this one.

It's a well done movie.

But the instructions (text) shows up way to short and too late. There's no chance to read the text and watch what happens on the map at the same time.

Either you should use your own voice to give the instructions or let the text show up a few seconds before you pull the jump.
If the user can see (or listen to) the instruction before you actually pull off the jump, he/she will pay more attention on what happens on the screen.

Either than that, it's great movie and the soft music gives it a nice atmosphere.

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
Swedix said:
I'm not a dm'er but I like to watch instruction movies like this one.

It's a well done movie.

But the instructions (text) shows up way to short and too late. There's no chance to read the text and watch what happens on the map at the same time.

Either you should use your own voice to give the instructions or let the text show up a few seconds before you pull the jump.
If the user can see (or listen to) the instruction before you actually pull off the jump, he/she will pay more attention on what happens on the screen.

Either than that, it's great movie and the soft music gives it a nice atmosphere.

True about the instructions... had a hard time figuring out how long they should be... wanted them to be kind of as long as you have time to press down the buttons... didn't think about doing voiceinstructions... that would have been the best thing imo, but its to late for that now ^^

Glad you like it though ^^ Everyone who plays DM should now about these moves, it makes the game so much more enjoyable :tup:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Looks like some pretty decent advice, though the filesize probably could have been a lot smaller to help people out. Guess I'm a "veteran" then since I knew almost all of those... :p

Another option for future endeavors, if you don't wanna mess with making a video, you can release a series of demos. You can bind your movement/jump/whatever keys to also "say" something, so whenever you move it'll show up in the player chat area. :):tup:

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
Turns2Ashes said:
Looks like some pretty decent advice, though the filesize probably could have been a lot smaller to help people out. Guess I'm a "veteran" then since I knew almost all of those... :p

Another option for future endeavors, if you don't wanna mess with making a video, you can release a series of demos. You can bind your movement/jump/whatever keys to also "say" something, so whenever you move it'll show up in the player chat area. :):tup:

Yup I would have wanted it to be smaller as well... It's my first vid ever so I tried tons of different settings for the encoding and followed guides... But this was the best Quality/size I could come up with :(

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Well whdya know? There's some technique to 2k4 movement after all!

I still would rather see strafe jumping hit the unreal series though.

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
briachiae said:
because I can't download otherwise. nice vid btw. :tup: I already knew all of those movements, since they are on the maps I play most often.

Yup, if you are a veteran of the series you should already know these moves since it's made for the players who don't know much about anything really ;) But I'm glad you approve of it ^^