Slow LAN File Transfers (and more frustrating network problems inside)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
I'm totally confused. I'm normally able to eventually figure these things out, but I'm just stumped on this one :p Here's the scoop:

Just recently built a new PC (running on WinXP Pro). It's got an Abit AV8 motherboard which has a built in 10/100 network adapter. Here's the fun part:
Lets say I transfer a file from the new PC to my old computer. Everything's fine. Now, lets say I take that same file and try to transfer it back (from the old machine to the new). It takes about 10x as long. 16mb file clocking in at an ETA of 5mins. ????

So, I tried transferring to other machines, tried setting it to forced full duplex, 100mbit, etc. No go. Drivers have been reinstalled multiple times. I've even turned it off in BIOS, restarted and turned it back on just to see if that would do anything :p Nothing, nada, no go.

And also, which I haven't taken the time to confirm 100% because I'm just frustrated with it, I believe that the same thing is happening with downloads as well. I thought it was just a slow server at first, til tried multiple sites. It starts off at my norm, 80kbps or so, but immediately starts to drop and hang out at like 10-15kbps. But every single other machine on my network is fine. It's just that one.

Any suggestions?

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
Of the top of my head I'd say it could be any one of the following:-

A .Faulty Network Card
B. Switch/Hub Port is playing up
C. Faulty Network Cable
D. Network Card driver issue or SP2 issue
E. NIC/Switch incompatibilities...(I love this one, only happened once but it took a week to trace)

A & B seem highly unlikely, but always worth testing a different NIC.
E is extremely rare but does happen.
Possible fault in the cable on the RX pair would explain good transmit but dodgy recieve, have you tried another cable?

I f I think of anything else I'll let you know!

P.S. it may be something really simple, so I'll have a look into it!

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
To at least get to know if it's a driver/Windows problem or hardware/BIOS problem grab a Linux live CD and test if you get the same problem or not.
*edit*
"E. NIC/Switch incompatibilities" ........ ugh, that sounds horrible disgusting.

Last edited:

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Sounds like it's a hardware problem. Just found out from my dad when he temporarily had Win2k3 on there he was having the same issue :p

Time to swap in a NIC from my other box and see how that goes :p