PDA

View Full Version : LG vs SR

Skold
2nd Dec 2004, 11:38 PM
man i'm in a funk.

i few months ago, Lighting was my fav weapon, and i could hit roughly 30% of my shots.

Then i got my ass beat a few times by peeps using shock primary.

So now i use that all the time. Thing is, while the rate of fire is so much better, the damage isn't. But since i hit more often w/ shock i'm favoring it now. So much so that LG isn't a favorite weapon anymore.

i need tips on how to use both effectively.

CBA
3rd Dec 2004, 03:00 AM
Well i have same problem, what do i do now, hit with LG first and then switch to shock to attack everyone with primary shock :)

-AEnubis-
3rd Dec 2004, 03:51 AM
Yea, even though the switch is slower, I still have that nasty habbit of alternating from 2k3.

Shock is just going to seem better because there is more margin for error, less of your eggs in one basket. You take more shots, so you feel like you hit more. Or you make more attempts with shock if you live the same amount of time as with LtG, so you feel like your time is better spent. Naturally, then when you are "on", you feel LtG is kickin' it, because you do your damage, and they die.

Basically, if your LtG isn't kickin' it, use rockets :) pickin' up shock shouldn't help much.

Seriously though, if you wanna try to use both effectively, and simultaneously, use the shock beams push effect to your advantage, and start with that. After they suffer the push, a LtG shot is usually easy to line up, and you will then kill an unarmored opponent then with a body shot.

As well, I rarely take multiple LtG shots in a fire fight. It reloads too slow, so unless you got cover between shots, it's not worth it. Hitting them with anything else at that point becomes defensive as well. Or even just throwing stuff at them, they then have to multi-task, dodge, and shoot, making it harder for them to complete either optimally.

Dark Pulse
3rd Dec 2004, 04:17 AM
Pretty much. The LtG is pretty much useful if you're sniping and that's it. It's not to be used while you're walking around, unless you're a aimbo- er, Killing machine like Raffi or Scumgrief.

Of course, if you got nothing else... use it.

Selerox
3rd Dec 2004, 09:35 AM
Ltg is a great weapon if you know you'll get the first shot in, but shock is a better all-round weapon. Shock also has the benefit of knockback, which makes it amazingly powerful in corridors. Not to mention the combo ability for crowd control.

dXII][Pa
3rd Dec 2004, 09:43 AM
Not to mention the combo ability for crowd control.

LOL. That's for sure :D

3rd Dec 2004, 03:06 PM
It is easier for me to use the ltg because you only have to line up one shot to get 70 damage. But it is harder to have the xhair on someone every split second with shock if they know how to move. The longer reload time is a good thing to me because it makes me less likely to just spam it and just hope I hit something. Use lightning when you have some distance between you and opponent and you have room to maneuver or a way to assure that the attacker or prey can't dodge jump in a close enough vicinity to use "melee dominant" weapons effectively. Shock is good for open area fighting, when people can't get out of your sight with a single dodge. If you manage to get one shot in, the momentum transfer to the opponent sets up a consecutive shot because they lose some control for a split second by being knocked around. Also the shock can create obstacles for aggressive attackers. Every shock ball is a potential combo after traveling a short distance, so you can almost "herd" opponents away from an area of tactical importance, such as higher ground or an area out of your sight. Shock is a must against aggressive melee orientated opponents when you aren't able to keep a safe distance without slowing him/her down. This happens a lot in crowded DM or TDM, where you know if you keep on moving backwards without looking behind you are going to get clobbered. Shock is a great way to punish ppl for just plain rushing straight at you without any advanced maneuvering. It takes little effort lining up multiple shots consecutive on someone if they are moving straight at you.

AMmayhem
3rd Dec 2004, 03:23 PM
As well, I rarely take multiple LtG shots in a fire fight. It reloads too slow, so unless you got cover between shots, it's not worth it. Hitting them with anything else at that point becomes defensive as well. Or even just throwing stuff at them, they then have to multi-task, dodge, and shoot, making it harder for them to complete either optimally.

LOL. I've probably played too much MOH with bolt-action rifles. I probably use the LG too much in fire fights, because with MOH, that's pretty much all you have, so I'm used to dancing around waiting for a clear shot/reload.

But I still prefer the LG over the shock rifle. Primary fire is the same thing, only the LG is stronger, and I can never nail combos without standing still, I don't know how you people do it.

T2A`
3rd Dec 2004, 03:52 PM
I can generally hit people more with the LG. Don't know what it is, but that's how it is. Unfortunately, I usually always keep the LG out in a fire fight for multiple shots. Oh well. I suck anyway, so it's not like it makes a difference. :p

m&ms
3rd Dec 2004, 04:21 PM
When using the LG, try to avoid spamming shots. Wait for a good shot or you'll end up wasting a lot of ammo. Shock gives more of a margin of error, so it can be great if you need to spam, knock people around, or if they're short on health. Other than that, it's really a matter of personal preference. and your own level of skill.

Selerox
3rd Dec 2004, 04:51 PM
When using the LG, try to avoid spamming shots. Wait for a good shot or you'll end up wasting a lot of ammo.

Also, the low ROF of the ltg means that if you miss the first time, you're in trouble because your target has the initiative.

CyMek
3rd Dec 2004, 05:15 PM
Not to mention the combo ability for crowd control.

If you have read the weapon descriptions, you'll know that the shield gun was originally the police MD25 Riot Controll device :D

Other than that, I prefer the LtG over the SR, simply because I have to aim more, since there is more of a pause, so it forces me to stop. I cant aim for **** with the LtG long range though, but Im not bad close range.

Rev.Whoopass
3rd Dec 2004, 06:25 PM
Skold is a boob

Renegade Retard
3rd Dec 2004, 06:30 PM
Rev! Damn good to see you Pal! How ya been?

m&ms
3rd Dec 2004, 07:04 PM
omfg it's rev!

Skold
3rd Dec 2004, 07:52 PM
Skold is a boob

Haha! This whole thread was a ploy to get you back here. i knew you couldn't pass up a "How do i pwn with the LG" thread! :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the replies. i'm starting to not use the LG as much anymore because of the SR ROF, and want to balance these two weps better. Thanks for the suggestions.

-AEnubis-
3rd Dec 2004, 09:51 PM
When using the LG, try to avoid spamming shots. Wait for a good shot or you'll end up wasting a lot of ammo.

Also an excellent way to throw your opponent off. Anyone who can feel the LtG reload time, can basically stand still while you wait, and then move when they know you have a shot up. If you don't shoot at that exact second, they may not know when to be moveing, so it's best for you to react to them, instead of the other way around.

I've done that on the evasion end a bunch to give myself time to decide what weapon I want to frag the LtG user with.

It's very situational though. If you are doing mid-long range hitscan vs hitscan, and you and your target are both deliberating between Shock and LtG, sometimes you can just pull shield, and change the situation if it favors you. Very few opponents are efficient weapon switchers, close the gap, and pull Flak or RL. Show them where to stick that hitscan.

waXed
4th Dec 2004, 10:45 PM
I find if I'm hot with one, I'm not with the other :/

You can't forget the LG headshot ability, 140 damage every once and awhile is really devestating. For sheer annoyance there's nothing like bouncing someone all over the place once you get on a roll with primary shock.

Kinda makes you wonder where the sniper fits into everything.... ;)

-AEnubis-
5th Dec 2004, 01:35 AM
It doesn't.

BoboThePenguin
5th Dec 2004, 07:14 AM
:wavey: hey there waxed! :D

BooGiTyBoY
5th Dec 2004, 08:07 AM
Ya know for some reason I can usually own with the sniper but not the LG. Not sure why exactly, I just happen to hit a lot more shots with one than the other.

AMmayhem
5th Dec 2004, 10:50 AM
Ya know for some reason I can usually own with the sniper but not the LG. Not sure why exactly, I just happen to hit a lot more shots with one than the other.

Heh, it's the other way around for me. Not that it's really black and white between them. I just do better with the LG than the sniper.

JohnDoe641
5th Dec 2004, 12:37 PM
It doesn't.
This just had to be posted again.

5th Dec 2004, 12:56 PM
sniper is good for AS and big map ONS. :P

waXed
5th Dec 2004, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AEnubis-
It doesn't.

Amen brother!

EDIT: Hey Bobo!

T2A`
5th Dec 2004, 02:30 PM
The only benefits to the sniper is that it's harder for someone to discern your position, so it's actually better for sniping. I guess the slightly faster fire rate might be good too, but I doubt it has any noticable effect. It's easier to hit with the LG due to "splash damage," but other than that I think it's all in your head, Boog. It's possible to hit someone without actually hitting them due to the little mini-lightnings that sometimes shoot off in a random direction when the main bolt hits the ground. I don't have any concrete evidence for this like a demo or anything, but I remember it happening on several occasions against bots.

BooGiTyBoY
5th Dec 2004, 02:50 PM
This morning I played on a ctf-face only server with Zoeff. I was nailing sniper shots left and right and I think I figured it out...

I'm talking about mid to close range shots mind you... and here's why I think I'm better with the sniper.

My mouse movement is much smoother when dodging around and firing with the sniper as opposed to the LG because there's no big ZOT on my screen. It's much easier to track and hit a target when your fps are a lot smoother. The lightning effect can sometimes make my game a little jerky when combined with the fast turns and dodges while duking it out. :)

Then again you may be right.. it might just all be in my head. :)

-AEnubis-
5th Dec 2004, 04:07 PM
The sniper rifle is still easy to trace. The bullet has a minigun style trace on it, and the cloud of smoke, though maybe not designed for this, is fairly visible at long ranges. Really, if someone is sniping me vs throwing lightning at me, they only have one extra bullet before I find them on average.

Rev.Whoopass
5th Dec 2004, 05:50 PM
Hiya Skold and the rest.

Been really busy at work,stopped playing 2K4 in last May.

If I ever feel saucy again I will reinstall it,but real life ownz me hard right now.

edhe
7th Dec 2004, 07:24 AM
Shock first, LtG second. whee! :)

Renegade Retard
7th Dec 2004, 08:05 AM

Ditto.

BooGiTyBoY
7th Dec 2004, 08:57 AM
We have comparable systems Ren. DO you think maybe your having the same problem as me? Do you get a tiny stutter or anything when your LG zots? I did it again last night.. was doing rather well with the sniper but couldn't hit with the LG for dicky-doo.

Renegade Retard
7th Dec 2004, 09:01 AM
I don't know what it is. I DO know that I'm more confident with the sniper, and my stats are much better with it as oppossed to the ltg.