Unwheel with DeathRace? ;)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dMb

Nov 27, 2004
unreal.cyberhouse.no
Hi, This is my first post in here, so I will try and be short and presice...
I like your mod! I really do, but the first thing that came to mind when I played it was: Hey, this is just like the Battlefield 1942 mod called Interstate 1982.
Only I really miss the old deathrace theme...

If you did not play IS82, you really have to test it out, but I dont want to do some advertising for other games here. Here is my point:

Is it possible to make UnWheel to support Deathrace kind of maps, and gametype?

Deathrace is quite easy; to teams battle out to drive a crazy hard cource to get to the finnish line first. If you fall off the road, you will die and have to respawn at the beginning again. You dont have any weapons, but you can push other cars off the road.
The highways can be with loops (without the sidestoppers!) It can be lava or water underneeth, crazy turns in mid air. High jumps you must clear. Tunnels, jumps, anything you can imagine.

The only thing you have is booster, and perhaps vertical and horizontal booster! ;)

But why make this to unreal? Easy, the graphics are so mutch better, and the gameplay would make this in to a great mod. Bring the idea further. Add stuntbonus to give you faster boost. Do wicked kill-bonus to give you an extra speedboost.

I would so love to see a DeathRace kind of game on Unwheel! ;) I would deffently set up a dedicated Deathrace server then! :)

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
$n][pErMan said:
what about some sort of distruction derby too? That would be tight. :D

There is a mod already available for that: Unreal Demolition.

1. We don't want to copy other peopl'es ideas (ala carball)

2. We've really been dead set against destroying cars.

Although if you want to make the extra gametypes UnWheel is apparently very easily moddable (according to hrimp) so maybe you should give it a try, or pester Ravu (our sorta community coder/Beta tester)

He made a great big air modification to change the timing system and add some cool FX when you're in the air.

dMb

Nov 27, 2004
unreal.cyberhouse.no
ProjectX said:
There is a mod already available for that: Unreal Demolition.

1. We don't want to copy other peopl'es ideas (ala carball)

2. We've really been dead set against destroying cars.

Although if you want to make the extra gametypes UnWheel is apparently very easily moddable (according to hrimp) so maybe you should give it a try, or pester Ravu (our sorta community coder/Beta tester)

He made a great big air modification to change the timing system and add some cool FX when you're in the air.

I understand you dont want to copy other peoples Ideas.
How about talking with the IS82 team, and listening to them to see if it is possible to port some of their idea to Unreal?
The reason I want this so bad, (Really bad! ;D) is because Stunting and Deathracing would fit so well in with you gametypes.
The vehicles have already been made, the staticmeshes have already been made, the textures and everything. Adding a new gametype would be well easy for you guys (I have no idea how you do this! That is why I'm trying to reach out to you!) ;)

Anyway, you dont have to copy their idea compleatly, Just take the things that work so well in the other mod, and do them with you own twists.
This is how the software industry works ;)

Looking forward to hearing more about this! ;)

JACK SH!T

Evil Genius in a Nutshell
Sep 2, 2004
dMb said:
I understand you dont want to copy other peoples Ideas.
How about talking with the IS82 team, and listening to them to see if it is possible to port some of their idea to Unreal?
The reason I want this so bad, (Really bad! ;D) is because Stunting and Deathracing would fit so well in with you gametypes.
The vehicles have already been made, the staticmeshes have already been made, the textures and everything. Adding a new gametype would be well easy for you guys (I have no idea how you do this! That is why I'm trying to reach out to you!) ;)

Anyway, you dont have to copy their idea compleatly, Just take the things that work so well in the other mod, and do them with you own twists.
This is how the software industry works ;)

Looking forward to hearing more about this! ;)

there's a fine line there that borders copyright infringment...
Besides, if you want to play that mod, then go play it :rolleyes: If you want to play UW, well then by all means, welcome abord :D
When I first joined this forum, I thought I had a million ideas to better the mod also. It was quickly pointed out to me that there are plenty of race games out there that do that already. Heck, UW really isn't a mod at all, but rather a total conversion. Just about the only thing it has incommon with UT is the engin.
I must say though...I do wonder what UW would look like useing the Doom3 engin :rolleyes: :eek: *hehe, guess you would have to call it "DoomBuggy" LOL :lol: *

While I'm here, I do want to report a bug that I found....
I was useing the motorcycle on Mountain Town/Big Air. When I went for the first bridge jump, I hit the wall, and the bike got stuck. I know, no big deal, just reset. Well I was trying to see if I could get free when the bike blew up and auto-reset back to the start line. I was able to reproduce this 3-4 times but never took a screen shot, or made a movie of it. If the UW team can't reproduce it, let me know and I'll try to make a movie of it, or atleast get some screen shots to send to you.

Oh yeah, I was useing turbo when I made that jump...I was tring to see how far the bike would jump.

I found worse bugs on other maps useing the bike and side car, but haven't tried to reproduce them yet (unless you count steering as a bug :lol: ).

PM me if you need more details ;)

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Thanks for spotting that.

Yeah the motorcycle has a few bugs, and a few maps have bugs with the motorcycle (I'm gonna take this time to tell you all not to play UWRL-Arborea with the motorcycle) so we're gonna have to be careful when beta testing next time and check everything with it, but that's just life I suppose.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Hey dMb

I'm not quite sure what you're after here - just knocking people off the road in a race sort of gametype? What's the difference between that and our current Race or Rally gametype? Is it the maps? Stunting?

Need some more info :p ;)

dMb

Nov 27, 2004
unreal.cyberhouse.no
JACK SH!T said:
there's a fine line there that borders copyright infringment...
Besides, if you want to play that mod, then go play it :rolleyes: If you want to play UW, well then by all means, welcome abord :D
When I first joined this forum, I thought I had a million ideas to better the mod also. It was quickly pointed out to me that there are plenty of race games out there that do that already. Heck, UW really isn't a mod at all, but rather a total conversion. Just about the only thing it has incommon with UT is the engin.

Well, I'm sorry I had some ideas and posted them. It will not happen again. :rolleyes:
But seriously, if we dont keep remaking good ideas to our own, we are not going to have any progress in the gameworld, Im not sugesting a total rippoff from the old mod, I'm thinking about a remake. The IS82 was consentrating on cars and the look from 1982. Discos, and gangwars.
A remake of this is not a problem, as its the gameplay you want to maintain, and even do better.
This is not a discussion on what is legal or not on copyright laws. This is a discussion on a general idea I wanted to post.

If you want to throw away your ideas to make things better, that is your loss!
Why dont you contribute what you are thinking about, perhaps the great UW team has a catch for your ideas, and bring them in to the game. Won't that be great?
If you dont try, you will never have any progress.

dMb

Nov 27, 2004
unreal.cyberhouse.no
Shrimp said:
Hey dMb

I'm not quite sure what you're after here - just knocking people off the road in a race sort of gametype? What's the difference between that and our current Race or Rally gametype? Is it the maps? Stunting?

Need some more info :p ;)

Hi.
Thank you for your interest.
I was beginning to think that people in here just gave me a hard time! :O

Anyway..
The difference is in the maps mostly, But I am guessing some work on the gametypes must be done too!

Let me try and vision my idea a bit more; Picture this,total 20 people (up to 32!) on two teams. They start out in two different startzones, start to drive at a normal track, and meet up in a joining.
The road goes off a cliff and a highway road starts, but it has no side barriars. You can fall off the highway and in to caverns, oceans, and lava. If you fall off, you will respawn at the beginning of the cource.
The battle has begun. The two teams try an knock each other off as the crazy driving cource with loops, big jumps and other surprices goes along.
The first team to get to the finnish winns. The track is long and does not go in to a loop. Stunting is required.

It is possible to do this off-road too. can picture myself driving on hills, knocking off my competitors so they fall of bottomless pits. How about a vulcano race? :p

The ting is to do it in an race inviroment, with the bonus of stunt racing, and an option to knock out other players. The idea is "RatRace" if you ever did see that movie! :)

JACK SH!T

Sep 2, 2004
dMb said:
Well, I'm sorry I had some ideas and posted them. It will not happen again. :rolleyes:
But seriously, if we dont keep remaking good ideas to our own, we are not going to have any progress in the gameworld, Im not sugesting a total rippoff from the old mod, I'm thinking about a remake. The IS82 was consentrating on cars and the look from 1982. Discos, and gangwars.
A remake of this is not a problem, as its the gameplay you want to maintain, and even do better.
This is not a discussion on what is legal or not on copyright laws. This is a discussion on a general idea I wanted to post.

If you want to throw away your ideas to make things better, that is your loss!
Why dont you contribute what you are thinking about, perhaps the great UW team has a catch for your ideas, and bring them in to the game. Won't that be great?
If you dont try, you will never have any progress.

I think you got me wrong :eek: I'm not trying to tell you not to post ideas to better the game. Just that UW isn't designed to mirror other games.
Here's a link to the game I think he's talking about. I don't have BF1942, so I can't play it :(

dMb

Nov 27, 2004
unreal.cyberhouse.no
JACK SH!T said:
I think you got me wrong :eek: I'm not trying to tell you not to post ideas to better the game. Just that UW isn't designed to mirror other games.
Here's a link to the game I think he's talking about. I don't have BF1942, so I can't play it :(

and now you are missing my point.
I'm not talking about mirroring other games here.
I'm talking about taking a good idea and making it better.
I understand your conserns about ripping other games off, and getting a huge copyright lawsute on your asses. But it is possible to modify great games. Do something else, and even greater.
You have to look at the greater picture.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Hmm, I see, sounds interesting, didn't know it was a team gametype.

I imagine it could get frustrating with low player numbers though, so it'll need some good AI :p. Also, we'll need some pretty darn long maps, something that takes a really long time to complete so KO players still have a chance of catching up with the leaders. I'd rather respawn KO players at checkpoints along the route though, else the leaders and those at the back of the pack will get bored pretty quick and the race will spread out so far you'll never see another player...

Wil have to think about this a bit...

dMb

Nov 27, 2004
unreal.cyberhouse.no
Shrimp said:
Hmm, I see, sounds interesting, didn't know it was a team gametype.

I imagine it could get frustrating with low player numbers though, so it'll need some good AI :p. Also, we'll need some pretty darn long maps, something that takes a really long time to complete so KO players still have a chance of catching up with the leaders. I'd rather respawn KO players at checkpoints along the route though, else the leaders and those at the back of the pack will get bored pretty quick and the race will spread out so far you'll never see another player...

Wil have to think about this a bit...

How about if you knock off a player, you get points. THe more points you have, the better start position you get when you get nocked off?
Ofcource you will not get a good position if you havent driven this far yet!
Then suddently you have 2 reasons to knock people off the tracks, 1 to eliminate you competition, 2 to get points just in case you get knocked off or fall down because of a hard track!

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
dMb said:
How about if you knock off a player, you get points. THe more points you have, the better start position you get when you get nocked off?
Then suddently you have 2 reasons to knock people off the tracks, 1 to eliminate you competition, 2 to get points just in case you get knocked off or fall down because of a hard track!

Now that I hear the full idea, I'm starting to like it!

Most of this can be done with maps solely, but Shrimp would have to do some coding too.

JACK SH!T

Sep 2, 2004
any ideas on what would happen if both teams are past the half way point? I assum it's first one to the end of the map wins? Or would it be based on a time limit, and a normal, but large track that connects to itself, so both teams meet more than once.
Unless I misunderstood, the better you're doing, the better the spawn point (good idea) just didn't know about the 1/2 way point.

Thinking about it, having the chance to meet 2-3 times on one map might not be a bad idea. It would give the loosing team a chance to make a come back :)
even regroup and find a new stratagy ;)

Last edited:

dMb

Nov 27, 2004
unreal.cyberhouse.no
JACK SH!T said:
any ideas on what would happen if both teams are past the half way point? I assum it's first one to the end of the map wins? Or would it be based on a time limit, and a normal, but large track that connects to itself, so both teams meet more than once.
Unless I misunderstood, the better you're doing, the better the spawn point (good idea) just didn't know about the 1/2 way point.

Thinking about it, having the chance to meet 2-3 times on one map might not be a bad idea. It would give the loosing team a chance to make a come back :)
even regroup and find a new stratagy ;)

That seems okay, but what is stopping the teams from cheating on the tracks then?
If the track goes on to a meeting place in the middle, why drive straight forward, if you can just follow the track to the left and shorten the distance by half?
If this will work somehow (respawning the player if he tries to track-cheet), it could be an fun element to the game. If not you can still let the tracks meet, but one track is mutch higher over the other track. Causing an element where you can save mapspace (avoiding creating huge maps, only because you want a wicked sick map.)

I am thinking about avoiding normal tracks. It must be deathrace oriented. If you fall off you die (respawn). And if you make the tracks really hard (narrow pathways, wicked jumps. You will have an element to the game that you can catch up to the other team simply because they cant handle the tracks.

You could also stop the spawning at halfway. So you can buildup points (even get points on stuntbonus, or knocking off players). This way the starting position will get moved as far as half the map, but not any further. From that point you must be on your own.
What are your thoughts around this?

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Sounds like this could be some type of Team KOTH gametype, we should continue to brainstorm this, a kinda team based gametype that you get points for knocking people off a track or something, sounds kinda cool to me ;) could be kinda like a destruction derby thing too.

JACK SH!T

Sep 2, 2004
I got to thinking about this possable mod, and relizied that there are 4-5 maps that I know of for Assult that might be good examples for the type of maps that he means. I went to a server that runs "Death Maps" (hey, did I just come up with the name or what? "DEATH MAP" instead of "Death Match" :p ) last night, copped a few screen shots and posted them on my site.

Oh yeah, I put one up there for the UW team aswell ;)

Sorry about the geocities thing, I'm going to rebuild & move the site soon. I'll repost the addy when I do :rolleyes:

If you want to get a feel for the game play on these maps, let me know and I'll post the server IP. The maps are fun to drive even if you don't like AS

Last edited:

JACK SH!T

Sep 2, 2004
dMb said:
I might be wrong here, but the more I think about this idea, the more it sounds like a AS mutator.

1] the map(s) have a goal/mission
2] the better you (or you team) , the better your start possion
3] you need to stop the enemy from advancing
4] I know of 3-4 AS maps that do almost the same thing you're talking about, but ofcourse in AS you get wepons.

Not trying to rain on the party here, but UT2K4 has like 5-6 mods right out of the box. If you plan to make a new one, than your idea must be unique to the game. Like UW is to UT2K4.

JACK SH!T

Sep 2, 2004
JACK SH!T said:
I might be wrong here, but the more I think about this idea, the more it sounds like a AS mutator.

1] the map(s) have a goal/mission
2] the better you (or you team) , the better your start possion
3] you need to stop the enemy from advancing
4] I know of 3-4 AS maps that do almost the same thing you're talking about, but ofcourse in AS you get wepons.

Not trying to rain on the party here, but UT2K4 has like 5-6 mods right out of the box. If you plan to make a new one, than your idea must be unique to the game. Like UW is to UT2K4.

No responce???
I was hopping someone would prove me wrong.....